Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 3,106 times

Advertisements

Born and raised in Tulsa, Oklahoma I'm sure it comes as a shock that I'm infatuated with Texas. I never really understood how someone from Oklahoma could claim that Texas "sucks" (well, maybe other than football, haha just joking).

Anyway, growing up my family and I would often cruise out of Galveston, usually spending a day or two before exploring Houston. There is something about Houston that attracts me and I want to make sure I don't have my blinders on before making the move next year after college.

First of all, the job market: it looks healthy and virtually unaffected by the recession. Am I wrong?

Housing prices: I'm aware that property tax is considerably higher in Texas than Oklahoma, however after searching around at housing prices it really doesn't seem like Houston has undergone a huge "bubble" in costs like Vegas has seen. Am I crazy?

City planning, and attention to detail: Sure, Texas has some traffic issues. I realize that's something I would have to get used to. However, it seems like Texas (Houston in particular) is ahead of the game when it comes to highway and street planning/expansion. Grand parkway for example, I've seen areas where exit ramps and traffic lights are up before the suburban sprawl has even reached the area. Is this a regular process or was that a one in a million occurrence? Either way, coming from Oklahoma something like that is unheard of, but I really appreciate that type of city planning. As far as the suburbs go, I was amazed by the organization, foliage, and class that has been put into the overall atmosphere. For instance in the woodlands, most roads were divided and had an ample amount of trees and landscaping. The buildings were nice colors (not random lime green gas stations and oversized advertisement signs like I'm used to). Am I completely crazy or am I seeing it right?

The reason I ask so sarcastically; every time I mention Houston, whether it be to an Oklahoman or a local, I get a surprised look. Is it the reputation of the inner city crime? Or am I giving it too much credit?

Talk me out of moving there, because although I may be in my early 20's the Houston suburban life seems to be calling my name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 09:15 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,664,511 times
I personally think there is more opportunity in Houston than in Oklahoma. But not everywhere is a planned and pretty looking as the Woodlands. It really just depends where you end up.

If you want to move here, and get a job a here after college, then move here. Good luck!

Old 06-23-2015, 09:58 AM

483 posts, read 655,659 times
Inner city living, that is inside the 610 loop, is much more expensive then the rest of the city.
Apartment rents are going up and housing prices inside the loop in safe areas as much more then outside the loop. and definitely more then suburbs.
Even outside the loop is not as cheap as it used to be.

Do *not* move here with a secure job, you want to base where you live close to where you work. If you pick to live in midtown(because its hip and happening) and end up with a suburb job or vis versa your commute will be awful.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:01 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
It's hot as hell. Our rivers, lakes and beach are brown from silt. Our mosquitoes are insane. We are a long way from mountains to ski, hike or bike. Our highways are lined with strip malls and billboards. Traffic can be horrible. You have to put up with the inner-loopers constantly talking about how horrible it is for anyone to be in the burbs while simultaneously complaining about congestion. We pretty much have two seasons, summer and southern winter. It's humid as hell.

Does that help?

BTW, I plan to never move away.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:03 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Why would anyone, especially random strangers on a public forum try to talk you out of moving to Houston?

It is your life and your choice where to live, if you want to move then move, if you don't then don't but do not rely on strangers to make a choice in your life, do that all by yourself.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:10 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,795,280 times
Just curious, why are you so eager to leave Tulsa? I'm a proud Houstonian, but my previous trips to Tulsa left me very impressed. Good economy, big enough to have plenty to do + good food, but not so big/dense that traffic is a problem. Plus you can drive 15 minutes from downtown and feel like you're way out in the countryside.

The Houston economy has been surviving the oil dip just fine. Housing is expensive (some would say overpriced) in the hot areas, but quite affordable in the suburbs. The Woodlands, Memorial Villages, and a few of the suburbs are beautiful and nicely-planned, most of the rest is a disorganized visual mess. Some would say it has "character", just as some would say that Manhattan and Kowloon have character. Traffic is better than LA, San Fran, DC, NYC, or Boston, but worse than just about any other major city in the US.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:51 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,822,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
good economy
... compared with what? Sudan?

Old 06-23-2015, 11:03 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
... compared with what? Sudan?
We do have a good economy. It's just not gang busters like before.

Oil prices will return, and our economy will build steam again.

It's up $10 since mid march, and I'll bet we are at between $65 and $70 by year's end.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:05 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,916,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

It's up $10 since mid march, and I'll bet we are at between $65 and $70 by year's end.
The magic number on everyone's mind is over/under $80/barrel at the close of markets December 31st.

Mattress Mack!

Old 06-23-2015, 11:06 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,479,945 times
You want me to talk you out of it?...ok

Bad traffic on most of the major freeways....even on the weekends.
Hot as hell in the summer.
The humidity here is awful....you literally cannot breathe in 90-100% humidity.
Everyone is moving here.....we are full.
Public transportation is awful. The bus system and light rail system is a joke.
The current mayor....
The potholes in the streets will literally "total" your car.
There are too many strip malls...too much concrete and not enough natural beauty.
Houston has two seasons...hot and cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston