Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:38 AM

676 posts, read 930,860 times

Advertisements

When is the best time of year to install a sprinkler system and get the best deals? Also, any recommendations for good installers? I am in far Southwest Houston, borderline Stafford/Missouri City/Fort Bend County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 10:53 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,982,728 times
Whatever you decide on please don't do it yourself.

I happen to saw an older gentleman (looks like just retired but still in good shape) decide to install one himself. First week i saw him on his knees pounding with small garden tools. Second week, he went and bought big shovel. Third week, he rented one of those earth mover. His yard is a mess. Almost all the grass is ripped out.

I just happen to drove by this morning and saw his sprinkler on, spraying half of it on the street.

It was almost comical driving by every day watching his misery.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:37 AM

115 posts, read 228,156 times
I would imagine most people do it in the spring since that's when you need to start watering more and your grass can heal quicker. So maybe there are some 'off season' deals.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:45 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Does a far southwest Houston home really need a sprinkler system? Unless you have money you want to get rid of, I might re-think that expense, which is not a small one.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:46 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,771,273 times
Just get multiple bids to start and go from there.

I got 8 bids and they were all over the place.

I don't really think there is a good time.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Does a far southwest Houston home really need a sprinkler system? Unless you have money you want to get rid of, I might re-think that expense, which is not a small one.
Why should being in far southwest Houston negate my need/want for a sprinkler system? My money situation is not really any of your concern. I still have to water my yard also. I'm not in the ghetto areas. My neighborhood has strict deed restrictions that are enforced.

Im just curious about the best times to get deals on an installation and recommendations for companies others have used. I just said my general location as there are some installers that only work certain areas of town. I am not installing it my self.

So back to the original questions, Does anyone have any recommendations for a sprinkler system installer and what is the best time of year to get the best deals on one?

Old 11-10-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post

I happen to saw an older gentleman (looks like just retired but still in good shape) decide to install one himself. First week i saw him on his knees pounding with small garden tools. Second week, he went and bought big shovel. Third week, he rented one of those earth mover. His yard is a mess. Almost all the grass is ripped out.

I just happen to drove by this morning and saw his sprinkler on, spraying half of it on the street.

It was almost comical driving by every day watching his misery.
Sounds awful, but kind of comical at the same time! There is no way I am doing the install myself.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:03 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Some people have the ability to do such basic projects themselves, but most people would be better off hiring someone.

My problem has always been doing such projects in the dead of summer.

On a positive side, I'm about to get started on my deck job while it's nice and cool outside.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:59 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times
Default Don't install sprinklers anymore... use subsurface drip irrigation instead

I used to install them, I installed two in my time. My last/current house, however, I went new age and I installed a subsurface drip irrigation system. The reason I did this is because the lawn was just a mess of weeds, and dirt, so I had already planned to sod it.

I stopped one of the guys doing road work in the neighborhood, offered him $50 to drive a couple of houses down the street to mine and scrape the grass off the lawn in the front, and back. I then hired a day laborer and together we dug the trenches and buried the drip line.

The results have been great, even during the heat of summer, my grass was nice and green and no weeds since the surface never gets wet. The water goes directly to the roots. A subsurface drip irrigation is extremely efficient, uses up to 90% less water, and does not waste water. You never know when it is on, you can play on it at any time, it is never wet. Best labor I've put in for some time. I water two times a day, in the morning and evening, for ten minutes each time. It takes very little water compared to a sprinkler.

I am not an environmentalist, or tree hugger, but saving water just makes sense, it saves me money!

Old 11-10-2014, 02:38 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I used to install them, I installed two in my time. My last/current house, however, I went new age and I installed a subsurface drip irrigation system. The reason I did this is because the lawn was just a mess of weeds, and dirt, so I had already planned to sod it.

I stopped one of the guys doing road work in the neighborhood, offered him $50 to drive a couple of houses down the street to mine and scrape the grass off the lawn in the front, and back. I then hired a day laborer and together we dug the trenches and buried the drip line.

The results have been great, even during the heat of summer, my grass was nice and green and no weeds since the surface never gets wet. The water goes directly to the roots. A subsurface drip irrigation is extremely efficient, uses up to 90% less water, and does not waste water. You never know when it is on, you can play on it at any time, it is never wet. Best labor I've put in for some time. I water two times a day, in the morning and evening, for ten minutes each time. It takes very little water compared to a sprinkler.

I am not an environmentalist, or tree hugger, but saving water just makes sense, it saves me money!
Very cool. I might have to look into this before I do my front yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston