Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,144 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I am 27 and was looking for a place to buy/rent . Medical center attracts me the most because:
1. I am visually impaired and want to live somewhere I can catch buses and rails easily
2. Its still inside the loop so there are lots of spots around to hangout, meet new people
3. I don't like down town mainly because I am not a fan off club/bar/night life

Considering the 3 factors mentioned above and my budget of a little under 200k, I liked the town house at 1330 Old Spanish trail.

Does anyone have any input on those town house/apartments , or location in terms of living, and crime/safety (like if you are walking around the area at say 12 - 1 am)?

Since I am not native to Houston, I would appreciate if anyone have a recommendation for a better location that fits the criteria I mentioned above.

Thank you

Last edited by jingoria; 07-21-2015 at 02:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 01:56 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Personally I wouldn't walk around town at midnight.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:07 PM

398 posts, read 394,965 times
There are few places in the city I would feel safe walking at 12-1. While not one of the most dangerous areas, OST is definitely not a place I would walk around in the middle of the night frequently. Especially after the explosion of crime this year that our worthless city leaders fail to acknowledge.

Last edited by NickelsTX; 07-21-2015 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 07-21-2015, 03:11 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,569 times
I think you'll be fine. OST east of 288 has definitely cleaned up a lot the past few years, west of 288 is actually getting kind of luxurious with all the new apartments. Walking around late at night isn't a great idea but I really don't think it's that bad of an area and you should be fine.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:22 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,083 times
i was looking at that area for a condo back in 2013. i considered those condos but liked the 2255 braeswood park dr even more. that property remodeled all their units to a similar style THEN sold them whereas the 1330s i believe were redone independently with by each owner of the unit. id consider the 77030 zip code a bit more but either are good choices. the 1330's seem to have more units meaning more neighbors and is closer to reliant so there will be lots of traffic and pedestrians.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:16 PM

32 posts, read 51,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
i was looking at that area for a condo back in 2013. i considered those condos but liked the 2255 braeswood park dr even more. that property remodeled all their units to a similar style THEN sold them whereas the 1330s i believe were redone independently with by each owner of the unit. id consider the 77030 zip code a bit more but either are good choices. the 1330's seem to have more units meaning more neighbors and is closer to reliant so there will be lots of traffic and pedestrians.
Yeah the traffic on OST is pretty heavy during the rush hours. During Rodeo time, I'd say it's pretty miserable.

Although it puts you further from the medical center, if you look west of Kirby or along Kirby north of Holcombe, I much prefer those areas in terms of safety, traffic, and quality of housing.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:54 PM

483 posts, read 655,430 times
We lived in one on the complexes at Fannin and Holly Hall, I consider that area to be safe, especially for the cost(the apartments are some of the lowest but still nice inside the loop) I walked back from the Reliant metro stop often around midnight or a little before. There were always a few others getting off as well.
There is new UT medical housing there too and the UT police patrol it often. They did have some students get robbed walking back, late, from the Kroger on the corner, but I did see more presence from the UT police after that.

That being said I wouldn't walk around alone at night(my husband and/or friends were always with me if we were walking back from the lightrail)
But to be fair, I wouldn't walk around hardly anywhere in Houston by myself late at night.
I had no problems walking our dogs alone in the evening, or coming home later though. But never after say 9ish

Old 07-21-2015, 09:37 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,943,769 times
I know Houston has always had high crime, but not safe to walk around in after dark? What kind of city are we? In Chicago and SF, there's a bunch of folks on the street until well after midnight. I would think Los Angeles can't be that different. Is Houston really that scary? Yeah I know Montrose, the city's top walking area, used to be known for assaults after dark, but that didn't stop people, did it?

Old 07-21-2015, 11:03 PM

657 posts, read 740,398 times
You cant go off people on this forum for safety ratings. Most act like 80% of the city is a death wish war zone. Lets face it. They say that if theres brown or black people around.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:58 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Sorry but regardless of skin color -- in addition to normal folks being out, those with bad intent line to cruise around at Night and early morning hours as well. Just common sense that it isn't smart to walk around the streets after midnight anywhere really. Seems like more randomness during those hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston