Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 11:49 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,766,127 times

Advertisements

All these smart aleck responses, which are filled with ignorance, are laughable because you all have no idea just how many people are walking around you in the store, in the restaurant, at the zoo, at the gas station, etc legally carrying concealed. The reason you don't know that is because they don't have the "urge to shoot", nor does it "build up". In case you all haven't been paying attention, violence from criminal pukes can happen anywhere. Insisting that anyone who carries is just "itching" to shoot someone, and will spray bullets all over the crowd because they are "uneducated" is more liberal tripe. If you don't understand guns, fine, but don't make comments about things you don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 04:24 AM

480 posts, read 1,700,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
All these smart aleck responses, which are filled with ignorance, are laughable because you all have no idea just how many people are walking around you in the store, in the restaurant, at the zoo, at the gas station, etc legally carrying concealed. The reason you don't know that is because they don't have the "urge to shoot", nor does it "build up". In case you all haven't been paying attention, violence from criminal pukes can happen anywhere. Insisting that anyone who carries is just "itching" to shoot someone, and will spray bullets all over the crowd because they are "uneducated" is more liberal tripe. If you don't understand guns, fine, but don't make comments about things you don't know.
Agreed! Can you imagine the panic come January 2016, when open carry goes into law in Texas? We'll probably see some interesting threads here on that topic.

Last edited by Timnwendy; 09-16-2015 at 05:06 AM..

Old 09-16-2015, 05:19 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,776,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Well said.

The ignorance in this entire thread is amazing.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:05 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,812,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
Well said.

The ignorance in this entire thread is amazing.
I agree! These folks that want to carry a gun around all the time are living in fear. It's from the daily pulse of Fox telling them that they need to take this country back and we're being invaded. I challenge any of those folks to turn on NPR and actually listen to thoughtful dialogue for a few days.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:20 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,311,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timnwendy View Post
Agreed! Can you imagine the panic come January 2016, when open carry goes into law in Texas? We'll probably see some interesting threads here on that topic.
I support open carry
It will make everybody feel so much safer #sarcasm

Old 09-16-2015, 08:27 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,269,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I support open carry
It will make everybody feel so much safer #sarcasm
To me open carry puts you at a disadvantage...I'd much rather carry concealed and not make myself a target for a potential crazy person. I think open carry is unnecessary.

Also I am well aware of how ignorant many of the people in the US are, and that the thought of a gun makes them scared as hell....the fact remains that there are lots of bad folks in the US, and opting to lawfully protect yourself should not be scary.

Ignorance of something is no excuse...people are always scared of that which they do not understand.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:31 AM

60 posts, read 69,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
The media is anti-gun - they hate them...if a concealed carry holder went all commando and injured a bystander you would know it about...all day...everyday for weeks. It has not happened. Im not saying it wont happen, but it has not happened yet.

I'm not saying that your fear is not founded in some modicum of reality - its that statistically you are more likely to be saved/protected from death by the presence of a law abiding citizen with a concealed carry permit than you are to hit by a stray bullet from one of them.

None of the crazy people who have shot up schools/movie theaters, etc were licensed to carry a gun. Mass shootings occur in gun free zones, not where a concealed carry is permitted. The last movie theater shooting in Louisiana, the shooter actually traveled an additional 30 miles away from the closest movie theater to his house to goto one where concealed carry was prohibited....mass shootings are planned, deliberately, and intentionally to be in gun free zones.

There was also a mall shooting in 2012 where the gunman was stopped by a licenced carry, not a cop.

There are multiple sources, but you can find a blog about it here:
List of 16 mass shootings stopped by Armed Citizens - Illinois Tactical Blog

Concealed carry is a good thing. It puts guns in the hands of the good guys who have no intention of hurting innocent people.

Of course, that is not true. A quick Google search finds;

"Washington, DC — Individuals with permits to carry concealed handguns in public are responsible for at least 743 non-self defense deaths since 2007, a number that likely represents a fraction of the actual total, according to updated data released today by the Violence Policy Center (VPC)."

More importantly, almost all of the recent mass shootings were carried out by people with legally purchased firearms.

True cases of a 'good guy' using a weapon to stop a 'bad guy' from committing violent crime are extremely rare. And, while there are many web sites of anectodal stories of good guys using their guns to deter crimes, most of these are debunked upon close examination.

Yes, it is true, that most gun owners will never use their weapon to harm people (innocent or criminal). But, it is also well documented that if those weapons are used, they will be used for suicide, domestic violence and accidental shootings - or in a criminal manner by a previous 'good guy'.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:45 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,776,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
I agree! These folks that want to carry a gun around all the time are living in fear. It's from the daily pulse of Fox telling them that they need to take this country back and we're being invaded. I challenge any of those folks to turn on NPR and actually listen to thoughtful dialogue for a few days.
How does carrying a gun lead to someone living in fear? It would be the exact opposite if you ask me.

I know I don't live in fear.

I don't suppose you carry a gun? So does that mean you will solely rely on law enforcement in that immediate time of need? When seconds count? Let me know how that works out for you.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:55 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,056,175 times
This topic is about the zoo that previously didnt allow you to carry guns conceded or otherwise. So you brought a gun to the zoo it was not legal. People webt to the zoo thinking no guns were there because of the restriction. You brought a gun to the zoo you were doing so illegally.

The fact this has to be spelled out means lots of irresponsible gun owners were breaking the past law or cannot read.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:56 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,812,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
How does carrying a gun lead to someone living in fear? It would be the exact opposite if you ask me.

I know I don't live in fear.

I don't suppose you carry a gun? So does that mean you will solely rely on law enforcement in that immediate time of need? When seconds count? Let me know how that works out for you.
I think you just proved my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston