Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 10:19 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times

Advertisements

Houston Zoo forced to remove 'No Guns' signs

Quote:
Even though the zoo is privately owned, a local gun rights attorney pointed out the zoo sits on city owned land. Being on public land means the zoo cannot ban guns on the property.

The problem today is that people like Felica below are F'n clueless about actual gun laws and they walk around this city while people legally carry firearms around every single day. She feels safer going somewhere where guns are restricted, just like schools which shootings never take place.

Quote:
"You just never know these days. I'd feel safer going somewhere where it's restricted but what can you do," said Felica Manuel, a zoo patron.
This is a moot point for me, I've carried concealed in the Houston Zoo about 50 times over the last 4 or 5 years and my gun has never jumped out of my holster trying to kill anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 10:23 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,809,398 times
Just wondering how many times have you had to use your gun?

Old 09-15-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
At the zoo? Never, I hope it remains that way until I die a very old man.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:26 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Can't say, but we'll never know how many times a potential crime was deterred, because some thug considered the possibility that an honest citizen might be carrying.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:27 AM

Come to think of it, I've owned the same truck for 4 years now and I've never had a flat tire. I've owned a home for almost 16 years and I've never had a house fire. I've owned a boat for about 5 years and I've never even come close to drowning.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Can't say, but we'll never know how many times a potential crime was deterred, because some thug considered the possibility that an honest citizen might be carrying.
Anyone who has been to the Houston Zoo over the last few years knows that the crowd there isn't always the most pleasant or upstanding, especially on holidays or the special days when it's either free or cheap to get in. There have been plenty times where my family and I have changed our minds about where to go in the zoo base on the crowd that has decided to occupy certain areas of the place. It's best just to steer clear, most of them are looking for trouble 24/7 and until now they've assumed that people won't be able to defend themselves if they start something.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:32 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,224,362 times
Yea the free days at the zoo are huge cluster F's. The 30.06 has always been illegal at the zoo and most chl people choose to ignore it anyway.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:35 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,809,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Anyone who has been to the Houston Zoo over the last few years knows that the crowd there isn't always the most pleasant or upstanding, especially on holidays or the special days when it's either free or cheap to get in. There have been plenty times where my family and I have changed our minds about where to go in the zoo base on the crowd that has decided to occupy certain areas of the place. It's best just to steer clear, most of them are looking for trouble 24/7 and until now they've assumed that people won't be able to defend themselves if they start something.
Well it's lucky you have a gun in case one of those 24/7 trouble-seeking zoo people tries to start something.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
Yea the free days at the zoo are huge cluster F's. The 30.06 has always been illegal at the zoo and most chl people choose to ignore it anyway.
Agreed, I've got some really cheap family members who always want to go on the free days but to me it's just not worth the hassle.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Well it's lucky you have a gun in case one of those 24/7 trouble-seeking zoo people tries to start something.
Luck has nothing to do with it, lucky would be finding a weapon hidden in a bush while getting shot at by a robber/murderer/car jacker. I don't rely on luck to protect my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston