Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 08:35 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times

Advertisements

Good read for those who put on their rose-colored glasses and think they are going to move here and live for peanuts. Not to mention that if you also need social services, it is said that Texas is one of the worst states to live in for social services - I have no idea if that part is true or not, just what I've read in the past. Often people looking for a fresh start are the ones who need that low cost housing the most.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/m...f-housing.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 09:40 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Houston is more desirable than NYC, so it should be no surprise that it costs more to live here.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:03 AM

Judging by a few of the posts on this forum, There are still so many moving here in search of a new start with no job prospects when they arrive and thinking they will find a rock bottom priced home close in the city. This article really refers to housing in the city proper. There are still affordable houses farther out -- as we saw in one of our other threads with some even in the below 199k category.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:00 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,242,149 times
There are thousands and thousands of homes available between the loop and the beltway and in the east side of the inner loop that are affordable and close. This could be considered the "real" Houston because over 75% of people who live inside the city limits live here.

What people are looking for in this forum are the "elite" white areas. That is what this article is really about. I am saying it, everybody knows this, and these closet racist professors May as well come out and say it too.

But Tell me - In what large city are these areas affordable?

Old 10-01-2015, 11:19 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Good read for those who put on their rose-colored glasses and think they are going to move here and live for peanuts. Not to mention that if you also need social services, it is said that Texas is one of the worst states to live in for social services - I have no idea if that part is true or not, just what I've read in the past. Often people looking for a fresh start are the ones who need that low cost housing the most.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/m...f-housing.html
I personally think the low social service is one of the big reasons people are interested in this state and city.

Who do you think paid for all those services?

Old 10-01-2015, 11:46 AM

62 posts, read 62,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
I personally think the low social service is one of the big reasons people are interested in this state and city.

Who do you think paid for all those services?
To be honest, it is not appealing to me to live in a city, or state, which fails to provide healthcare for those with the lowest income. I don't know about you, but the thought of being served food, or assisted by workers who lack healthcare for treatable communicable diseases is frightening. A lack of social services is a drain on resources for those at the top.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:52 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,524,481 times
Well, it depends.
Houston still has some super affordable areas even within 610 loop.
Somewhere close to Scott St and 288. A year ago I saw 20-30K houses there for sale.
Don't think the situation changed much over a last year.
If I was a thug and a drug dealer, this would probably be kind of dream area for me.
But unfortunately I have to search for less affordable options. And traffic makes everything much worse.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:06 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MumHouston View Post
To be honest, it is not appealing to me to live in a city, or state, which fails to provide healthcare for those with the lowest income. I don't know about you, but the thought of being served food, or assisted by workers who lack healthcare for treatable communicable diseases is frightening. A lack of social services is a drain on resources for those at the top.
Basic social service are already provided for by the federal government. Additional benefits that some of the liberal states in coastal states are the issue here.

There has been too many 5 million civic center, 10 million contract to help the poor with xxxx, to know most of them doesn't work and end up only benefiting the connected and the politicians. Think of it as MUD here but with they take it out of your paycheck instead of your mortgage payment.

Would you be happy with that?

Old 10-01-2015, 01:28 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,947 times
I think a lot of transplants here are probably surprised that our public transportation system stinks.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:40 PM

Agree. I think many move here thinking they can get around carless until they arrive and have difficulty getting from a to b without one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: