Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 09:02 AM

5 posts, read 17,441 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Long time reader of city-data, first time poster.

So we are moving to the Houston area very soon & the above cities are our narrowed down choices.

My husband working in the Texas medical center, we know league city has the longest commute. However he works early hours so he's on the road at 6am & so far traffic hasn't been that bad....he's made it in about 35-40 minutes (he's currently staying in LC).

I'll just go city by city...

League City... Lots of housing options (our price range is upto 450k), in other C-D forms people talk about LC not being built up a lot, however those posts are years old. What's it like now? We have 3 kids so schooling is very important. A lot of the houses we like are zoned for Ralph Parr Elementay, which has a 7/10 raiting on greatschools.org. Anyone have kids attending this school? Is that an accurate rating? The community raiting for that school is higher but I wanted to hear more from people who's kids attend. Same goes for Clear Creek HS. As far as homeowners insurance, is flood insurance required? Anyone know if it's more expensive at all in the LC area due to its proximity to the coast?

Friendswood.... Friendswood seems like a good option from what I've read online. The houses seem to go under contract quickly which limits our options quite a bit. I've read Friendswood also isn't very built up... Is it more or less so than LC? I don't have a particular neighborhood in mind for Friendswood so I can't name specific schools. Any to stay away from?

Pearland.... Same with Pearland, if there are schools to avoid, please let me know! With Pearland I've read on here to stay away from zip code 77584. But that's where most of the houses are. Can anyone shed some light on zip code 77584? Within that zip there's a ton of houses for sale, maybe that's a red flag? I hear 77581 is better but isn't that closer to the landfill in that area? I really don't want to live close to a landfill....

From my research all these places are safe areas, correct?

I'm looking forward to reading replies, thanks so much!!! ��
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 10:13 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Maybe post in the Houston forum? More local knowledge there, perhaps...

Old 11-03-2015, 01:20 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy928 View Post
Hi everyone,

Long time reader of city-data, first time poster.

So we are moving to the Houston area very soon & the above cities are our narrowed down choices.

My husband working in the Texas medical center, we know league city has the longest commute. However he works early hours so he's on the road at 6am & so far traffic hasn't been that bad....he's made it in about 35-40 minutes (he's currently staying in LC).

Pearland.... Same with Pearland, if there are schools to avoid, please let me know! With Pearland I've read on here to stay away from zip code 77584. But that's where most of the houses are. Can anyone shed some light on zip code 77584? Within that zip there's a ton of houses for sale, maybe that's a red flag? I hear 77581 is better but isn't that closer to the landfill in that area? I really don't want to live close to a landfill....

From my research all these places are safe areas, correct?

I do not see any reason to stay out of 77584 - it is where I live and it's very safe and our neighborhood is extremely family friendly. Commute to the medical center is ok, but not great. 288 has way too much traffic.

The crime is not concentrated by zip, btw. It is worse over in the Shadow Creek Ranch area because that's where a lot of the wealth is. Also schools in SCR are not Pearland ISD, but Alvin ISD (not bad) and Fort Bend ISD (those schools are not good from what I hear). I see that Brookside Village is in 77581 and that is a relatively higher crime area according to the spot crime reports I get.

Map for 77581
https://www.maptechnica.com/us-zip-c...-map/zip/77581
If you stay over in the east side in 77581, you have a good safe area. I would look at the Rustic Oaks School if you have elementary school kids. It's a really good school.

Map for 77584
https://www.maptechnica.com/us-zip-c...-map/zip/77584
In this zip, I like the areas east of CR94 and north of Bailey Road. The houses in my area (Southwyck) are older, but I love the area - we are currently zoned to Massey Ranch Elementary (both grandchildren went there for K-4 and it is an IB school). They are currently at Sam Jamison (5th-6th grade) and Pearland JR High South (7th-8th grade). Next year my granddaughter will be at Dawson. Each of these schools has been good for us, but other schools in Pearland are also decent. I haven't heard of any to stay away from, but I do like Dawson better than Pearland HS for high school.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:25 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy928 View Post
Hi everyone,

Friendswood.... Friendswood seems like a good option from what I've read online. The houses seem to go under contract quickly which limits our options quite a bit. I've read Friendswood also isn't very built up... Is it more or less so than LC? I don't have a particular neighborhood in mind for Friendswood so I can't name specific schools. Any to stay away from?

Friendswood is nice - you are correct that it is less built up and a bit more *rural* in character than either League City or Pearland. They do have the Baybrook Mall. The Friendswood schools are good. The library is really nice. The downtown district is being built up more, but I am not sure what is there currently as I rarely go over there.

https://imageserv10.team-logic.com/m...ap120108_1.pdf

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:49 PM

22 posts, read 27,938 times
Definitely watching this thread We narrowed it to the same areas (plus Clear Lake), although since my husband's job is in Pasadena I think Pearland is too far of a commute. Good luck and I'm curious to see where you choose to live!

Old 11-04-2015, 11:41 AM

Thanks for everyone's input!

Old 11-04-2015, 01:33 PM

14 posts, read 40,260 times
I think you need to spend time in each of those 3 neighborhoods/cities to get a feel for what you want. I drove to Pearland couple of times and did not like the traffic around Shadow Creek Ranch & on 288, so I dipped. Friendswood was not very close to the freeway. Houses were a little bit older too at the time, apparently Lennar is building out there. League City is calm & nice, but my friends there drive to Houston for entertainment on the weekends. Not much to do/see in League City. I guess that goes for most Houston suburbs. It's being built up now.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:44 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjulian214 View Post
Definitely watching this thread We narrowed it to the same areas (plus Clear Lake), although since my husband's job is in Pasadena I think Pearland is too far of a commute. Good luck and I'm curious to see where you choose to live!
I think for you, Clear Lake would be the best option, as it's the easiest commute.

For OP, I think Pearland would be best, again based on commute. Keep in mind that all 3 have good schools and that League City and Clear Lake are both within the CCISD, so both those areas are a "school by school" decision versus consideration of an entire district.

I am in Kemah on the water so I spend a lot of time in Clear Lake and League City. CL has the best and most established amenities. League City is growing, but still not where it needs to be in terms of retail and amenities but will probably get there. Friendswood, as previously stated, is the most "rural" feeling (seemingly a conscious decision they have made). Pearland offers probably the best and easiest in/out of Houston.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:44 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,478,115 times
There is nothing wrong with the 77584 zip code in Pearland. Some people on this board may feel that traffic is bad in the 77584 area....well it is bad because so many people have moved into this area in the last 5 years or so. Some of the most beautiful homes for sale are in this area. 77581 is nice as well. It depends on what you want. Pearland Town Center mall is in the 77584 area. Most of the eating establishments are in the 77584 area. There is a landfill near the Shadow Creek Ranch subdivision that people complained of many years ago, however I believe the problem was rectified. Do you want your kids in Pearland ISD or Alvin ISD? If you move to the Shadow Creek Ranch or Sedona Lakes subdivision your kids will attend schools in the Alvin ISD, not Pearland. Pearland ISD is the better district, however Alvin is good too. Please check out HAR.com and schooldigger.com to get a feel for the homes and school districts in this area. Good luck.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:10 AM

Yea, I'm actually heading that way tomorrow! I plan on spending some time in each of these places but I think it's narrowed down between Pearland and LC! Shadow Creek Ranch is definitely ruled out, however I'm really glad to hear good feedback about the 77584 area of Pearland because without it so many seemingly great options are taken away. I'm liking the east side of 288 but still west Pearland, seems there's better schools east of 288.. The thing in particular with us and traffic is for the last 8 years my husband has had a 56 mile commute one way to work. So a little bit of stop & go traffic for less than 15 miles in some cases seems like a dream! He gets off at 4, so it shouldn't be that bad right? At least compared to 56 miles, lol! Thanks for the website suggestions, most we've already exhausted...now it's time to go check it all out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston