Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 03:24 PM

946 posts, read 1,136,872 times

Advertisements

Just to help you out here.. I'm moved from OC (Irvine) last April with my wife. It was and still is a culture shock in so many aspects. I don't live in the loop so I can't say much about the night life and all.
I really didn't like it here until I realized (just recently) that you can't compare the two. Cali life and Houston are not comparable. Both have good and bad. It really depends on why you are moving here and what your goals are.

Yes I still miss Cali and its lifestyle but for now I strongly believe this is the right place to raise a family. Houston has been very good to me and I'm thankful for that.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 03:28 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
I'm not sure you should move if you love California so much. Houston is very different.some people love it and others never adjust. It's a very expensive move to gamble on whether you will like it or not.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:30 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsik View Post
Thank you! Huh...Galveston beach has it`s own website! I`ve never seen it before) I suppose it`s not free?

PS: Jellys, brown sand and seaweed do not scare me) I`m afraid of this (see below in attach =)
I've been many times to Galveston and had almost empty beaches depending on where you go. Corpus Christi is three hours away and it has nice beaches.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:05 AM

387 posts, read 512,249 times
Galveston is just straight depressing (beach wise). It has a decent history and downtown architecture.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:28 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Buildings View Post
Galveston is just straight depressing (beach wise). It has a decent history and downtown architecture.
That's just straight ridicules, any or at least most beaches to me are uplifting and Galveston is no different. Maybe it was the weather the day you visited....

Old 04-16-2016, 04:35 PM

84 posts, read 105,790 times
Go much farther East or West on the island and the beaches are nicer looking (and with fewer people). Rockport and Victoria is also a nice place to visit, not so much for the beaches but for the restaurants and outdoor stuff.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:59 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
That's just straight ridicules, any or at least most beaches to me are uplifting and Galveston is no different. Maybe it was the weather the day you visited....
I agree with him. I find the beaches in Galveston to be subpar. I like the restaurants and architecture though.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:14 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I agree with him. I find the beaches in Galveston to be subpar. I like the restaurants and architecture though.

Sub-par ? maybe, that depends on what you are comparing them too, but straight depressing to me takes it to a whole other category. If you are depressed by the beaches of Galveston perhaps you need to look inside yourself for the remedy to that depression...

Old 04-16-2016, 05:36 PM

84 posts, read 105,790 times
The weather and scenery will be the biggest difference, as well as the politics, though both cities have pretty bad pollution, but in both cases depends what part of the cities you live in.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:32 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
I've lived in both. The similarities begin and end with the sprawl.
Nope. Both have car-centric culture and freeways, but also share the same laid-back suburban atmosphere.

The performing and visual arts scene in both cities is superb, but the visual arts in L.A. lean towards modern/contemporary, while the art scene in Houston resembles an Art History survey course and leans towards the first pre-1500 course. It may apply in architecture too, just compare the two Catholic Cathedrals which were consecrated in succession.

The L.A. Philharmonic and the Houston Symphony are top-notch. But L.A. is too invested in cinema while Houston has Broadway-style live plays and opera. Considering that some Hollywood actors started on the big stage and went to the big screen since the pay is much better and work is more reliable, L.A. could have some of them perform between shooting movies. For those actors, their heart is more into live stage performances than filmed movie acting. Sadly you would have to drive to Vegas instead for live performances!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude949 View Post
Just to help you out here.. I'm moved from OC (Irvine) last April with my wife. It was and still is a culture shock in so many aspects. I don't live in the loop so I can't say much about the night life and all.
I really didn't like it here until I realized (just recently) that you can't compare the two. Cali life and Houston are not comparable. Both have good and bad. It really depends on why you are moving here and what your goals are.

Yes I still miss Cali and its lifestyle but for now I strongly believe this is the right place to raise a family. Houston has been very good to me and I'm thankful for that.

Good luck
The O.C. is similar to Fort Bend County, as L.A. County is to Harris County. The area around the First Colony Mall reminds me of Fashion Island more than South Coast.

The only thing I miss from my trips to SoCal are the cool ocean breezes that make Metro L.A./O.C. room temperature during summer. I also like how the sunlight illuminates the region, the whiteness and the angle of the light.

Last edited by KerrTown; 04-16-2016 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: O.C. comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston