Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2015, 11:18 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,457 times

Advertisements

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9634.../data=!3m1!1e3

There is a lot of available land at the SE juncture of 290 @ 99 and north of Cypress Creek. I am curious if anyone has any information (or a way of obtaining it) about this land. Does someone own it outright now and they're sitting on it? Is any of this slated for any type of development any time soon, or is this still farmland and whoever owns it isn't willing to sell it? Does this area flood really badly from Cypress Creek and that's why nothing has developed? It feels that development is almost skipping over this area and going further out along 290, so it's got me wondering. The only thing I know for sure is that the proposed high speed rail alignment currently would go through here on the tracks just south and parallel to the freeway. It doesn't look like they're going to put a stop in Cypress for the train, but if they did then this area would be perfect for a more dense mixed-use center attached to a train station.. it won't happen, but one can certainly dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 11:26 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,773,570 times
You can GIS search the area through Harris County CAD.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:36 PM

116 posts, read 170,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9634.../data=!3m1!1e3

There is a lot of available land at the SE juncture of 290 @ 99 and north of Cypress Creek. I am curious if anyone has any information (or a way of obtaining it) about this land. Does someone own it outright now and they're sitting on it? Is any of this slated for any type of development any time soon, or is this still farmland and whoever owns it isn't willing to sell it? Does this area flood really badly from Cypress Creek and that's why nothing has developed? It feels that development is almost skipping over this area and going further out along 290, so it's got me wondering. The only thing I know for sure is that the proposed high speed rail alignment currently would go through here on the tracks just south and parallel to the freeway. It doesn't look like they're going to put a stop in Cypress for the train, but if they did then this area would be perfect for a more dense mixed-use center attached to a train station.. it won't happen, but one can certainly dream.

You can also look at the city plats. I think a church will be built on parts of the land

Old 05-19-2016, 03:45 PM

293 posts, read 756,611 times
http://www.rfld.com/docs/richfieldranch.pdf

Richfield | A Rich Field of Experience

According to this the property is owned by Richfield Investment.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhevoice View Post
You can also look at the city plats. I think a church will be built on parts of the land
Yea I think it's safe to say that those plans are outdated, especially given what's sprung up around it since the land was acquired. I think that this gets held onto probably until the next boom (or even longer), then becomes a bunch of retail pads in the northern half closer to 290. South of that closer towards Cypress Creek near the larger MPC's there could be a couple fill-in smaller SFH neighborhoods (hopefully of the larger custom style variety). What really kills the retail on this side of 290 is the adjacent rail that runs right alongside it, (which is also the current preferred corridor route of the high speed rail project). This kinda limits what retail would want to go in there and hurts the overall mobility of the vicinity, but there's enough growth and demand to still warrant some.

What would be ideal for Cypress is if some type of mixed-use walkable retail area like The Vintage and a few higher end apartment complexes adjacent to it get built right along the 290@99 juncture, and as a cherry on top of my pie in the sky dream here, it would be phenomenal if that area was then connected/adjacent to a transit stop for the high speed or local METRO rail since the corridor is already there, but that may be overreaching given the population trajectory of the area and it's relative location to the rest of the metro. Since that is likely never to happen, I hope that the large retail area that Towne Lake has planned along Greenhouse @ 290 is somewhat walkable once you're there and not just a bunch of strip centers. Even if it does just end up being two office parks and some strip centers or never gets built, mobility for that part of Cypress will be so much better once the railroad underpass is finished for Greenhouse in another year and it connects with Skinner at 290.

Last edited by curbur; 05-19-2016 at 05:54 PM..

Old 05-19-2016, 07:26 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,839 times
Don't think its on here yet but here's something I saw published today.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
Don't think its on here yet but here's something I saw published today.
Yea, that doesn't even mention the 200 acres of retail planned near greenhouse/skinner at 290. The area is located in red at the top of the following pdf.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:41 PM

116 posts, read 170,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
Yea I think it's safe to say that those plans are outdated, especially given what's sprung up around it since the land was acquired. I think that this gets held onto probably until the next boom (or even longer), then becomes a bunch of retail pads in the northern half closer to 290. South of that closer towards Cypress Creek near the larger MPC's there could be a couple fill-in smaller SFH neighborhoods (hopefully of the larger custom style variety). What really kills the retail on this side of 290 is the adjacent rail that runs right alongside it, (which is also the current preferred corridor route of the high speed rail project). This kinda limits what retail would want to go in there and hurts the overall mobility of the vicinity, but there's enough growth and demand to still warrant some.

What would be ideal for Cypress is if some type of mixed-use walkable retail area like The Vintage and a few higher end apartment complexes adjacent to it get built right along the 290@99 juncture, and as a cherry on top of my pie in the sky dream here, it would be phenomenal if that area was then connected/adjacent to a transit stop for the high speed or local METRO rail since the corridor is already there, but that may be overreaching given the population trajectory of the area and it's relative location to the rest of the metro. Since that is likely never to happen, I hope that the large retail area that Towne Lake has planned along Greenhouse @ 290 is somewhat walkable once you're there and not just a bunch of strip centers. Even if it does just end up being two office parks and some strip centers or never gets built, mobility for that part of Cypress will be so much better once the railroad underpass is finished for Greenhouse in another year and it connects with Skinner at 290.

These plans aren't outdated: Development Reports

I agree. I spent 4 months in Shanghai and as a native New Yorker, I know the value of subways, ELs, heavy rail and high speed rail. I wish we had Maglev trains. And would prefer monorail trains to the light rail they have downtown. Any rail system that doesn't interconnect with the streets and peoples propensity to walk and drive in front of trains.

Heck, a monorail system would be awesome going along Hwy 6 and FM1960. With connecting lines down Westheimer, etc. HWY 6 is a nightmare to drive on.

----------

Second Baptist is building a campus at 290 and the Grand Parkway: Cypress Campus Home | Second Baptist Church, Houston, Cypress
"Construction is underway on our new campus home at 290 and the Grand Parkway. Click here to view construction progress photos and find out the provisions of the new building." Vision 21

First Baptist is building a campus close to 290 within Bridgeland: http://bridgeland.com/houstons-first...us-bridgeland/

http://houstonsfirst.org/cypress/

Last edited by xhevoice; 05-20-2016 at 02:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: