Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will development of the Hyperloop kill High Speed Rail plans in Texas ?
Yes- The Hyperloop will make High Speed Rail obsolete soon! 3 11.11%
No- High Speed Rail is here today and we should use it. 12 44.44%
Both are silly options 9 33.33%
Undecided/and or unknowable question.. 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 03:55 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
yea I want to know how much a ticket will cost. If its not significantly cheaper then flying or driving then it will never take off. Specially if you cant get anywhere once you get to either place. they will need to atleast extend metro rail in Houston no matter what.ohh I want to take a bus once I get to Houston so I can spend 4 hours going 5 miles. not.

Really , drop me off at Northwest Mall and I'll walk the rest of the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Not to mention, it would be dangerous. Some may say that air flights are dangerous; yes, they are too. Afterall, a airplane landing is just a controlled crash landing.

But at least in an airplane, you don't have all the crazy people to get in the path of a flight. It would be too easy to sabotage such a system on the ground because it would not be too difficult to gain access to the path giving that it is on the earth. At least in the air the chances are less.

400 MPH, and hitting an object will be severely damaging, or gruesome as the Chron would say. The impact alone, a sudden stop, even if you were in your seatbelt, would turn your brain to mush, and rip your organs internally. It would not be pretty! That would be one train I could miss.

Don't you think they would run these tubes underground to avoid damage and potential sabotage. Also remember the tubes will be a vacuum devoid of air, if there is any breach of the tube they will know because air will fill the tubes immediately..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 06:12 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
When news media doesn't want something to happen
(1) they will talk over and over about the negatives
(2) when that doesn't work, they will keep on bringing "better ideas"

Old 05-12-2016, 06:34 AM

958 posts, read 2,574,455 times
So it crashed after 5 seconds. If HSR is ever build it will be completed way before this new rail concept.

I'd say let Another state bankrupt itself building the first one.

We all know it's going to be multiples times more expensive than original estimates.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:29 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,794,027 times
The challenges with HSR in Texas aren't technological in nature - high-speed rail is a proven and reliable technology. They come down to getting access to R.O.W. and building an economic business model. The second part will be difficult due to extremely high fixed cost of HSR construction, numerous economical alternatives to HSR travel (flying, buses, driving yourself), and the car-centric nature of both destinations.

I don't see how getting R.O.W. would be any easier for a Hyperloop than for a train. Putting it underground would cost a fortune, even if this was only done in/near populated areas. And I have trouble believing that a brand-new technology that is only in the earliest stages of testing would ultimately be cheaper to deploy than a technology that has basically been around for over half a century.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:11 AM

55 posts, read 66,115 times
How is this better than Japanese Shinkansen?

Last edited by dkag; 05-12-2016 at 10:25 AM..

Old 05-12-2016, 11:23 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
The challenges with HSR in Texas aren't technological in nature - high-speed rail is a proven and reliable technology. They come down to getting access to R.O.W. and building an economic business model. The second part will be difficult due to extremely high fixed cost of HSR construction, numerous economical alternatives to HSR travel (flying, buses, driving yourself), and the car-centric nature of both destinations.

I don't see how getting R.O.W. would be any easier for a Hyperloop than for a train. Putting it underground would cost a fortune, even if this was only done in/near populated areas. And I have trouble believing that a brand-new technology that is only in the earliest stages of testing would ultimately be cheaper to deploy than a technology that has basically been around for over half a century.
Cnbc is reporting that the first freight Hyperloop is expected to be ready as soon as late next year. This technology may be a bigger concern for freight carriers than passenger competitors. But they say passengers will be using Hyperloop technology somewhere in this world by 2021, which I think is about the same timeline HSR in Texas is using..Stay tuned !

Old 05-12-2016, 02:19 PM

509 posts, read 735,760 times
I'm not sure we really need either here.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:44 PM

958 posts, read 2,574,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
I'm not sure we really need either here.
I'm in total agreement there

For passenger. Flying will almost always be far faster and cheaper.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:58 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
When news media doesn't want something to happen
(1) they will talk over and over about the negatives
(2) when that doesn't work, they will keep on bringing "better ideas"
Because the system is designed with Dallas being the hub. HSR would not be needed if economic activity was centered in mostly one area, like Chicago in Illinois or NYC in NYS. I argue that the California model might work for Texas, with half living in L.A./O.C./I.E., a quarter in S.F./Bay Area, and the rest sprinkled throughout the state. Houston would be L.A. and San Antonio would be S.F. in this scenario.

Houston should continue poaching from DFW and Austin, alongside attracting companies to pick Houston when they relocate to Texas.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:36 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,771,203 times
The hyperloop does not need to ascend and descend nor will it require waiting\taxi on runways. If it were designed as reported I do not see how flying would be faster for trips between these relatively close cities. It is not designed for cross country trips, which Musk admits.
But if the hyperloop were to reach 700 mph as claimed then flying would only be faster if you need to cross seas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
I'm in total agreement there

For passenger. Flying will almost always be far faster and cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston