Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 06:52 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,828,085 times

Advertisements

There is a large Jewish community around the Jewish Community Center and temples on North and South Braeswood between Hillcroft and Chimney Rock.

Use Texas Real Estate - 158,406 Homes for Sale and Rent- HAR.com. Search neighborhoods Maplewood, Westbury, and Meyerland. Watch for homes that recently flooded. Owners have to disclose that the home has flooded. Also search in the city of Bellaire which is actually a tiny city in Houston about 6 minute drive to JCC.

All of these are 20 minute drive to Greenway Plaza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 07:43 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,996,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokaadam View Post
Thank you everyone. Yes, a Bat Mitzvah in 2017. We go to hebrew school and holly holidays so not very observant. meyereland and private schools seem out of our budget. We also want to keep the commute to under 35 miles. Being within about 30 minutes of a temple would be desirable( or we will cut class, i just know it!) . Can you recommend areas to look at in Sugarland?
With that budget, you can buy pretty much anywhere in Sugar Land. For the newer house, look in Telfair or Riverstone (the HS in Riverstone is soso but will be rezoned soon). Keep in mind, the new house lots are quite a bit smaller than the older neighborhoods. For a bigger lot and bigger house, look in the core First Colony area. Anywhere around Sweetwater or Elkins street are probably the nicest and also have the best ranked schools in the area. For the best bang for the buck, look for the older houses in Commonwealth or Avalon. For the biggest lot and within your budget, also look in Colony Park. I actually know couple jewish folks that lived there.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:25 AM

7 posts, read 6,285 times
Hi- we moved from New Haven five years ago. We chose to live in Kingwood for its lush landscape, trees, and excellent schools. My husband commutes to downtown and takes the HOV. 59S is less congested than other highways such as 45, and I 10. Check out the neighborhood of Kings Point on HAR. This village is zoned to Willow Creek Elementary (rated 10/10 on greatschools), Riverwood Middle 10/10, and Kingwood High 9/10. Also, most of my neighbors are transplants from the Northeast.
The Woodlands is beautiful, but traffic is horrendous, unless you work in the Woodlands. Katy is nice as well, but lacks the greenery and the traffic on I 10 from the city is also horrendous. I just thought I'd give you another suggestion since Kingwood wasn't mentioned.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:50 AM

A few things to consider that no one has mentioned yet- property taxes are high and vary depending where you live. Almost all newer suburban master planned communities have higher tax rates as well as MUD taxes. Kingwood has a tax rate of 2.9% and with the homestead exemption we pay 2.5%. We don't have to pay MUD taxes and we don't have a huge monthly water bill. We lived in a newer master planned community when we first moved to Houston and our tax rate was 3.9% and we also paid an extra 2k a year in MUD taxes.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:06 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,996,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emers1234 View Post
A few things to consider that no one has mentioned yet- property taxes are high and vary depending where you live. Almost all newer suburban master planned communities have higher tax rates as well as MUD taxes. Kingwood has a tax rate of 2.9% and with the homestead exemption we pay 2.5%. We don't have to pay MUD taxes and we don't have a huge monthly water bill. We lived in a newer master planned community when we first moved to Houston and our tax rate was 3.9% and we also paid an extra 2k a year in MUD taxes.
You do realize Texas is not the only state with high property tax. CT has one of the highest in the country and their houses are generally higher also. Plus you got the income tax thrown in.

Average Tax Rate
2.038%
(Hartford County)

Old 06-02-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
You do realize Texas is not the only state with high property tax. CT has one of the highest in the country and their houses are generally higher also. Plus you got the income tax thrown in.

Average Tax Rate
2.038%
(Hartford County)
Yes, I am well aware as I am still paying property taxes back in CT. My point was for the OP to consider high tax rates if planning to purchase a new home in a master planned community as there are some very nice updated homes in established communities with excellent schools with lower tax rates. It was a money saving suggestion, that's all.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:58 AM
bu2

24,152 posts, read 15,010,090 times
Nobody has mentioned Clear Lake which is near the water. Its certainly not any worse commute than Katy or the Woodlands. And it has excellent schools. Friendswood in the same general area may have a little larger lots than typical.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:20 AM

108 posts, read 172,686 times
I second txdemo. With that budget I would say Meyerland no question. Short commute, good schools, bigger than most suburban lots, probably largest jewish population in the area, and closer to all the in town amenities. Just watch for previously flooded homes.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:28 AM

5,647 posts, read 5,004,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emers1234 View Post
Yes, I am well aware as I am still paying property taxes back in CT. My point was for the OP to consider high tax rates if planning to purchase a new home in a master planned community as there are some very nice updated homes in established communities with excellent schools with lower tax rates. It was a money saving suggestion, that's all.
In addition to MUD tax, many master planned communities (and some other property types) also have substantial HOA fees. Those should be considered also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston