Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 03:09 PM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times

Advertisements

Only sick people celebrate other people's misfortunes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 05:29 PM

940 posts, read 1,901,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
I credit you with enough intelligence to believe that you don't believe what you're saying.
Good try at a dodge; the first part of my post, a direct question, got no attempt at answer from you, and you pretend I'm saying something instead of asking something. It is obvious you don't have an answer that makes any logical sense, historically.

Let me put something else to you. Arrhenius conceptualized the the greenhouse function of large gas and vapor molecules at the end of the 19th century. The second largest and by far most ubiquitous and consequential is the H2O molecule, yes that's right look it up.

So now tell me, by the '90's almost 100 years of the greenhouse gas effect, and the general knowledge of H2O being the by far the most ubiquitous in the atmosphere, suddenly CO2 becomes the most important. Have at it dude what happened around 1990 to make it all happen with your religion so to speak.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:04 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,495,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdlonghorn View Post
Let me explain. During the boom years I remember oil workers were very smug and like to talk about their new trucks. I remember the term "party like a rockstar" being used frequently to describe the average weekend. Oil workers liked to to talk about how a college degree would only hold you back. There was money to be made with only a high school education.

Now the forces of macroeconomics have swung against the oil patch. I hear people talking about when the industry will recover, but the truth is the industry will never recover. OGP has been changed forever. The days of paying workers $25 an hour to do work that was valued at only $14 are over. The industry has become more efficient and that means that the workers will have to be more productive will less compensation.

This is the new normal. Even if oil prices rebound that will not lead to higher wages for the workers only more profits for the company. Why didn't the oil workers understand that the past few years were a bubble? That is why it is called a bubble, because you can't see when it will pop.
Yes I love it that those rednecks are eating crow, not only that all those layoffs, and suffering, and misery it all makes me feel superior now when I used to feel inferior.

Thanks for your honesty in expressing your true feelings although I think most of us already knew that there is a lot of animosity in the USA towards Houston in particular and it will not be satisfied until enough havoc has been reaped and the cosmic Gods are appeased..

Old 08-01-2016, 11:44 AM

940 posts, read 1,901,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Yes I love it that those rednecks are eating crow, not only that all those layoffs, and suffering, and misery it all makes me feel superior now when I used to feel inferior.

Thanks for your honesty in expressing your true feelings although I think most of us already knew that there is a lot of animosity in the USA towards Houston in particular and it will not be satisfied until enough havoc has been reaped and the cosmic Gods are appeased..

Yes the NYT and other mainstream media are riding high on the hate Texas fad, e.g. the wacko Nobel prize winning Krugman.

Here's what really drives them bananas: Of all of the H2O on the planet, .3%~.7% of it is in the mantle, along with dissolved CO2:

the subduction of stishovite within
nominally anhydrous suboceanic crust has transported about
4  1018 kg of H2O into the deep mantle. As much as three
times this amount of water has been subducted into the
lower mantle through anhydrous phases (up to 1.2  1019
kg), if we also consider the presence of up to 50 ppm H2O
in the perovskite phase. This corresponds to 250–750
times the current water content of the atmosphere, or 0.3–
0.9 percent of the hydrosphere.... -> Transport of water into the lower mantle: Role of stishovite - Panero - 2003 - Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth - Wiley Online Library

With abiotic formation of hydrocarbons in the mantle by intense heat and pressure and seepage into the crust, we would have the perfect renewable energy source transporting thermal energy in the deep mantle to civilizations on the planet surface. Perfect design. But people at the NYT like most leftists don't believe the planet was designed.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:25 AM

222 posts, read 417,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
Yes the NYT and other mainstream media are riding high on the hate Texas fad, e.g. the wacko Nobel prize winning Krugman.

Here's what really drives them bananas: Of all of the H2O on the planet, .3%~.7% of it is in the mantle, along with dissolved CO2:

the subduction of stishovite within
nominally anhydrous suboceanic crust has transported about
4  1018 kg of H2O into the deep mantle. As much as three
times this amount of water has been subducted into the
lower mantle through anhydrous phases (up to 1.2  1019
kg), if we also consider the presence of up to 50 ppm H2O
in the perovskite phase. This corresponds to 250–750
times the current water content of the atmosphere, or 0.3–
0.9 percent of the hydrosphere.... -> Transport of water into the lower mantle: Role of stishovite - Panero - 2003 - Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth - Wiley Online Library

With abiotic formation of hydrocarbons in the mantle by intense heat and pressure and seepage into the crust, we would have the perfect renewable energy source transporting thermal energy in the deep mantle to civilizations on the planet surface. Perfect design. But people at the NYT like most leftists don't believe the planet was designed.
So, no climate change for you, right?
Also, we're designed.
Anyway, I digress!

Old 08-02-2016, 08:55 AM

218 posts, read 220,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfarm_ View Post
THANK YOU. My husband works offshore on a drilling rig. Out of Indonesia right now. He's gone for 28 days a hitch, plus the travel time to get to and from over there. He works 7 days a week, 12-16 hour days while on hitch. And this is good now, because he's been a "floater" off and on over the past three and a half years which means he had no schedule at all. He could get a phone call at home and have to leave the next day to go back out. For weeks. After only being home for a few days. Planning anything was absolutely impossible, at least with this we can somewhat plan. Until this contract expires and we're hoping for the next. He misses birthdays, holidays, family gatherings, etc. While he's used to this from serving in the Navy for 10 years, I'm not used to it. Of course I'll take a few weeks over a few months of him being gone, but I miss him like freaking crazy. And even though he is used to it, he still gets bummed about missing things. But he works his a** off to make sure that we are happy and taken care of at home and so that we can save lots of money now and he doesn't have to continue this crappy schedule forever.

And even with all that, there are OFW who have it even worse. A friend of mine's husband worked for FMC and was assigned to a unit in Nigeria. He was scared for his life every time he had to leave. So much so, that he ended up quitting a 6 figure position without even having anything else lined up because the risk to his life and putting his wife through the worry wasn't worth it.

There are stereotypes to pretty much any industry, career... whatever. There are those "good ol'" down south boys who do give a lot of OFW bad names. The ones without degrees or any smarts about them. Making big a** paychecks and blowing it on toys and crap. Having nothing to show for it. But even then, the jobs they have are NOT all easy. They're labor intensive jobs that I'd love to see an average Joe who works at a cushy desk job all the time do. Even these idiots make sacrifices to families and friends. Missing things back at home and working crazy hours.

There are lawyers and doctors and other people in careers that went to school for years for degrees that make them a lot of money that live the same way. Blowing money on useless things and being irresponsible.

I really didn't want to reply on this post because feeding the trolls is a waste of time. But this whole topic just erks the hell out of me. I'm just so sick of this shallow thought process that people have about this. The oilfield isn't all full of just easy money. There are REAL people with FAMILIES that sacrifice and work their a**es off to provide for their families.

That's all. I'm done. Ugh.
So true

Old 08-05-2016, 06:34 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Against who? Really right wing individuals who swallow the narrative whole? I'm also talking about the average folk in California having the impression of Texas based off the media. It's really not the same. You start at a disadvantage. The idea is you have to prove you're not a yokel. So Californians have to prove what, that they're not as snobby? Which one is worse? Both are bad but one is worse.

I couldn't wrap my head around it because the narrative about California is that outside of tensions with the LAPD, racial relations were the best in the country because it's so progressive. When hate groups attack in Southern California it's seen as an occurrence that doesn't reflect on California. When something similar happens in Texas, it's just seen as a given because the narrative is that Texas is racist. No one knows the dirty secret that once you go below LA, there are tensions too, as any you'd expect from the South based on narrative.
It's 18 years old now, but (if you haven't already seen it) you might find the movie American History X interesting. Edward Norton received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor for his performance. IMO, he should have won. One of the worst decisions by Academy members that I can recall. Roberto Benigni won for Life is Beautiful.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:00 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,806,523 times
Glad this thread was able to stay on topic.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:41 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,049,746 times
As an oil and gas worker again for the second time in my life - I have never met these "party like a rock star brag look at my big truck" engineers. More quiet creeper bmw 5 series people than rednecks

If you live in Midland im sure you get the type. But you get that type out in the rural country regardless of oil and gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston