Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2020, 08:07 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,595,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
You brought up UGA which has a similar relationship to Atlanta. That is why I mention TAMU, in addition to its huge relationship to Houston.
I agree. A&M recently poured millions into the medical center. They’re part of two major biomedical research projects. TMC3 and an independent A&M. These are expected to beings tens of thousands of jobs literally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 08:19 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
You brought up UGA which has a similar relationship to Atlanta. That is why I mention TAMU, in addition to its huge relationship to Houston.
UGA is in Atlanta’s CSA so that’s why I counted it. Bryan College Station is not in Houston’s CSA. Nevertheless, my point does stand that the local universities have a larger impact not only economically but socially as well in the community. Counting A&M as a Houston school is like counting Yale as an NYC school. Nobody in New York considers Yale an NYC school and yet its closer to NYC than College Station is to Houston.

Last edited by Spade; 06-15-2020 at 08:29 PM..

Old 06-15-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
UGA is in Atlanta’s CSA so that’s why I counted it. Bryan College Station is not in Houston’s CSA. Nevertheless, my point does stand that the local universities have a larger impact not only economically but socially as well in the community. Counting A&M as a Houston school is like counting Yale as an NYC school. Nobody in New York considers Yale an NYC school and yet its closer to NYC than College Station is to Houston.
College Station will prob get absorbed into the CSA eventually.

Only throwing this out there. Rice has an endowment of about 6 times that UGA has. While having only a 9th of its student population. Let that sink in.

Anyway you have to be fair. I don’t think anyone in Atlanta sees UGA as an Atlanta University either.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
College Station will prob get absorbed into the CSA eventually.

Only throwing this out there. Rice has an endowment of about 6 times that UGA has. While having only a 9th of its student population. Let that sink in.

Anyway you have to be fair. I don’t think anyone in Atlanta sees UGA as an Atlanta University either.
I don’t ever see Brazos County getting absored into Houston’s CSA. But you can take UGA out for Atlanta. They still have the AUC and Georgia Tech is my point still stands. Local universities are a bigger impact on local economies as well as social developments in communities than universities an hour and a half away.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don’t ever see Brazos County getting absored into Houston’s CSA. But you can take UGA out for Atlanta. They still have the AUC and Georgia Tech is my point still stands. Local universities are a bigger impact on local economies as well as social developments in communities than universities an hour and a half away.
Generally speaking, you're right. But you should look at all of the money Texas A&M poured into just the Medical Center, last year alone. They invested literally half a billion into a biomedical research campus. And that's only one of the two projects they invested in the Medical Center alone! Both projects combined, about 150 thousand jobs are expected to come out of them. Of course TMC3 is a group effort with UT, but A&M is still involved.

And have you taken a look at Rice's recent investments? Like I said you speak about UGA's importance to Atlanta (which I agree with), and Rice has 6 times their endowment with only a ninth of its student population.

Now, I think we are getting off topic. Houston's diversification isn't calculated by what the colleges are doing (though A&M involvement in 150 thousand projected jobs is a huge economic plus). But don't underestimate what A&M and Rice have done for the city, if we do mention colleges. I'm with you on UGA's importance to Atlanta, but if you recognize this how the heck do you not recognize A&M's importance to Houston?

Old 06-16-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Generally speaking, you're right. But you should look at all of the money Texas A&M poured into just the Medical Center, last year alone. They invested literally half a billion into a biomedical research campus. And that's only one of the two projects they invested in the Medical Center alone! Both projects combined, about 150 thousand jobs are expected to come out of them. Of course TMC3 is a group effort with UT, but A&M is still involved.

And have you taken a look at Rice's recent investments? Like I said you speak about UGA's importance to Atlanta (which I agree with), and Rice has 6 times their endowment with only a ninth of its student population.

Now, I think we are getting off topic. Houston's diversification isn't calculated by what the colleges are doing (though A&M involvement in 150 thousand projected jobs is a huge economic plus). But don't underestimate what A&M and Rice have done for the city, if we do mention colleges. I'm with you on UGA's importance to Atlanta, but if you recognize this how the heck do you not recognize A&M's importance to Houston?
Because I looked at UGA as more of a local school to Atlanta than A&M is to Houston. That’s all. UGA is closer to Atlanta than A&M is to Houston.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:10 AM

340 posts, read 321,084 times
As an Atlanta native I'll give my $.02. In regards to UGA, it is definitely less connected than universities in the metro, but there is still a strong connection. A lot of UGA grads tend to stay in Atlanta or Athens once they finish school. The UGA Terry College of Business also has a significant presence in Buckhead. UGA has also been a success story in the Univ. of GA System. It went from being the laughing stock of GT and a party school to being a top 50 univ and starting to compete with GT and Emory.

Atlanta is very strongly intertwined with Emory, GSU, and GT. If I remember correctly, NCR built a lounge in their new HQ where colllege students could interact with staff and look and possible opportunities. GT has also been the main catalyst for a lot of the tech expansions (475k sqft for Google, Microsoft expansion, Facebook, etc.). GSU and the GA Film Academy have greatly increased their movie production related courses in response to the growing film production in GA. Emory works pretty closely with the CDC and they partner with GT for a lot of programs.

In addition, you have the HBCUs, liberal arts colleges, and colleges in the metro area such as Kennesaw State that are intertwined in their respective areas. I will say Atlanta has a very large university presence in part because it's the biggest fish in town and the capital of the state.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:41 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
More life science development in the urban core creating clusters of innovation and increasing Houston's economic diversity.

The Houston developer Hines and the Levit family — two of the most prominent names in the city’s business community — said Monday that they would redevelop more than 52 acres near the Texas Medical Center into a mix of office space, shops, apartments and research facilities that would target the region’s growing life-science sector.

Hines and 2ML Real Estate Interests plan to develop Levit Green on more than 50 acres on the former site of Grocers Supply near the Texas Medical Center. The project has been designed to include research facilities, office, residential, shopping and dining, outdoor amenities and green space.Photo: Courtesy of Hines
The developers did not disclose the price tag for the ambitious project, to be called Levit Green, but it would likely run upwards of $1 billion. The new proposal is the latest project that aspires to boost Houston’s prominence as an international hub for biomedical and life-science innovations, joining several other developments that could, over time, add close to $2 billion worth of development to the urban core

Houston is home to one of the world’s largest medical centers, and the developments seek to tap into and build on the talent and expertise that abounds there. Texas A&M plans to build a $550 million complex in the Texas Medical Center, while Rice University is developing a technology hub, called the Ion, nearby. Leading institutions in the Medical Center also are part of a 37-acre research campus to be developed called TMC3.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Large-Medical-Center-development-planned-by-15342162.php?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=emai l&utm_campaign=HC_DailyHeadlines&utm_term=news&utm _content=headlines#photo-19553732

Old 06-16-2020, 10:01 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Quote:
I agree. A&M recently poured millions into the medical center. They’re part of two major biomedical research projects. TMC3 and an independent A&M. These are expected to beings tens of thousands of jobs literally.
Yes both TAMU and UH are making major moves into medical / health care research and education, focused in Houston.

Old 06-16-2020, 11:40 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
More life science development in the urban core creating clusters of innovation and increasing Houston's economic diversity.

The Houston developer Hines and the Levit family — two of the most prominent names in the city’s business community — said Monday that they would redevelop more than 52 acres near the Texas Medical Center into a mix of office space, shops, apartments and research facilities that would target the region’s growing life-science sector.

Hines and 2ML Real Estate Interests plan to develop Levit Green on more than 50 acres on the former site of Grocers Supply near the Texas Medical Center. The project has been designed to include research facilities, office, residential, shopping and dining, outdoor amenities and green space.Photo: Courtesy of Hines
The developers did not disclose the price tag for the ambitious project, to be called Levit Green, but it would likely run upwards of $1 billion. The new proposal is the latest project that aspires to boost Houston’s prominence as an international hub for biomedical and life-science innovations, joining several other developments that could, over time, add close to $2 billion worth of development to the urban core

Houston is home to one of the world’s largest medical centers, and the developments seek to tap into and build on the talent and expertise that abounds there. Texas A&M plans to build a $550 million complex in the Texas Medical Center, while Rice University is developing a technology hub, called the Ion, nearby. Leading institutions in the Medical Center also are part of a 37-acre research campus to be developed called TMC3.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Large-Medical-Center-development-planned-by-15342162.php?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=emai l&utm_campaign=HC_DailyHeadlines&utm_term=news&utm _content=headlines#photo-19553732
Good use for the Grocer's Supply property, and will really help the area imo. Need a little more retail in that area for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston