Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these subdivisions are easy sell
Cinco ranch original - older but nicer 4 28.57%
Grand Lakes - older but nicer 4 28.57%
Seven Meadows 2 14.29%
Cinco Ranch - North West - New Construction 4 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 10:24 AM

8 posts, read 13,468 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are looking to move this year to Katy south of I-10. Our budget is around 600k. The schools we are considering are cinco ranch, seven lakes and Tompkins high. It's very likely that we will need to move again in 2 yrs. out of the following areas, which would be an easier location when it comes to selling.

1. Nicer but older home in Grand Lakes
2. Nicer but older home in cinco ranch - east of 99
3. Seven Meadows
4. Silver Ranch
5. New home in Cinco Ranch northwest.

Thanks for any advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 11:13 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,693,884 times
With that price tag you can settle anywhere. Do a search for Katy Independent School District zone lines to figure out the area you're narrowing down. It's huge. Firethorne is another subdivision not on your list and has a lower tax rate. Cinco SW is another and only 10 years old with many many newer homes. All of Cinco Ranch both old and new, north and south are all designed by Newland Communities and is a planned one - They are well managed for flooding, something you do need to look into when deciding.

There are really nice homes in Fulshear too. Cross Creek Ranch has more native grasses and such in their landscaping and has bigger newer homes. For the commute, 1093 takes you into Houston.

It depends on what you want. Old Cinco Ranch does have nice homes and an excellent HOA - The board members live in the community and only manage their own. Cinco SW is managed by a company that manages at least 12 if not more areas around Houston and don't live in the subdivision.

Check tax rate - It varies from area to area. Waller county will be cheaper than Harris or Fort Bend. Katy ISD encompasses all 3 counties. Katy Trails is a newer one but I don't know much about it. Cane Island is close to I-10 but is really costly tax wise.

You have lots of choices!

Old 05-08-2017, 11:33 AM

8 posts, read 13,468 times
Thanks Sollaces. Of these areas, which one do you think will be easier to sell if I have to in 2 yrs? Or is that not a big deal in Katy.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:21 AM

In a managed community where everyone keeps their property up, you'd be able to sell your place wherever you live. You could ask your realtor that and look at specs.

Cane Island seems to have a harder time selling. That area is rather new and it's competing against other new areas / older established areas.

I think you should figure out what type of home you want, size, cost, taxes, and see if you like a specific builder. . . Then look at the Katy ISD map and school zones and see if you want to live close to the elementary school or not. Bus the kids or not.

For the right price and location a home always sells. Cul-de-sacs are more popular and quiet streets. Most people like the split plan with the master on one end of the house away from the other bedrooms. If you're only going to be there 2 years you might look into renting a home. Or invest in a new home and when you sell it'll be 2 years old, still under builders warranty yet have window coverings and plush landscape and larger trees.

It's really a toss up. I doubt you could go wrong in any of those neighborhoods.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:50 AM

967 posts, read 2,610,928 times
Of those I like Grand Lakes the best. It's got a great K-12 feeder system and most convenient for most shopping and errands.

I will tell you, selling a $600k home can be tough around here (in general). I've had two different friends try to sell $600k homes in a hurry (job transfers) and had a real hard time.

Anecdotaly, it seems that people who can afford 600k come from out of state where real estate prices are higher in general. So they sell the cramped Cape Cod in a middle class area for the price of a large $600k home in an MPC.

But the average Houston homeowner steps up in housing in smaller increments. So you're likely needing to count on an out of Towner to buy your $600k home.

It seems under $400k is the sweet spot for homes to sell quickly in South Katy.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:19 AM

16 posts, read 29,804 times
If you know you're going to be moving in 2 years you should lease a home. The market at 600k can be difficult to resell and there isn't a very good chance your home value will increase enough to make your money back from closing, realtor fees, property tax, repairs, and moving costs. You should be able to find a very nice lease in Grand Lakes in the 3000-4000 range that will suit your needs. It's less risky and you will be able to move quickly and hassle free to wherever it is you need to go next.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:31 AM

504 posts, read 1,150,786 times
yeah, 2 years turnaround is fast.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:47 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,133,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakika View Post
If you know you're going to be moving in 2 years you should lease a home. The market at 600k can be difficult to resell and there isn't a very good chance your home value will increase enough to make your money back from closing, realtor fees, property tax, repairs, and moving costs. You should be able to find a very nice lease in Grand Lakes in the 3000-4000 range that will suit your needs. It's less risky and you will be able to move quickly and hassle free to wherever it is you need to go next.

Totally agree, crazy to buy and then sell in two years.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:28 PM

Yes, that is my thought two -- That resale in two years is hard. The good news is there are TONS of rental homes out there in all shapes and sizes. They're just as plentiful as the homes for sale. I know you can find a lot of selection in all the subdivisions listed on your poll as well as many others.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:26 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,413,032 times
Default You didn't mention Green Trails or Kelliwood

I think you should add those into the mix. One of my favorites is Green Trails. It would cut off 15-20 minutes of your commute at least if you work anywhere in the energy corridor or Houston especially with the traffic on Grand Parkway and the I-10. The schools are just as good too. If the budget is 600k DO NOT BUY WAY OUT IN THE SUBURBS if you want appreciation. You may need to buy in 77024 or even inside the loop on the Northwest Side instead. You may need to look deep inside Houston for the appreciation. Especially with such a short ownership time. Remember the cost to sell the home will be high as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: