Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should Houston's "Tech District" be located ?
Montrose 4 5.48%
Midtown 9 12.33%
Downtown 4 5.48%
Eado 8 10.96%
Washington Corridor 2 2.74%
Museum District/Medical Center 6 8.22%
Third Ward 5 6.85%
Heights 2 2.74%
Galleria/Uptown 8 10.96%
Other 25 34.25%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 09:16 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,943,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I vote for the Westchase area. Comparably cheap office space. Lot of apartments. Single family areas not far. Right off the Beltway and Westheimer. Close to the Energy Corridor. This would give that area a shot in the arm.
Agreed, plus nowhere is the full diversity of Houston on full display quite like it is in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 06:24 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Honest question but don't you all play?

Everyone is talking about live near where you work, live where you work...

But what about play?

From personal observation the tech crowd seem younger than the energy crowd.

I can see the 25yo plus energy worker wanting to settle down in a nice house in the burbs but I do not get the same picture with the under 25 tech worker.

I see the tech worker wanting to be near the Heights, Kirby even Eado, 3rd ward but not grand parkway.

Think of all the capital being taxed spreading resources thinner and thinner by constantly locating jobs further and further from amenities.

I see young techies being attracted to ask the Montrose restaurants, the shopping in and around the loop, the night life around the west side of downtown.

I do see the attraction of a major company moving to a campus but purposefully starting a hub in an area void of any culture, limited amenities and promoting sprawl just does not seem like wise planning to me.

Somewhere in and around Midtown to me would be ideal.
KBR site?

Old 05-22-2017, 07:02 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

But what about play?

I can see the 25yo plus energy worker wanting to settle down in a nice house in the burbs but I do not get the same picture with the under 25 tech worker.

I see the tech worker wanting to be near the Heights, Kirby even Eado, 3rd ward but not grand parkway.

Think of all the capital being taxed spreading resources thinner and thinner by constantly locating jobs further and further from amenities.

I see young techies being attracted to ask the Montrose restaurants, the shopping in and around the loop, the night life around the west side of downtown.

I do see the attraction of a major company moving to a campus but purposefully starting a hub in an area void of any culture, limited amenities and promoting sprawl just does not seem like wise planning to me.

KBR site?
Just posting to AGREE with the bold. But I would add from ----> a existing workforce in need there already. So much is Corporate America choosing the sunbelt states for low and no Corporate taxes. Then this migration must be to them. Choosing FURTHER OUT SUBURBS in sunbelt cities that have areas in the city yet available.

There is land in areas of northern cities cleared of former industry that sits. Same for even parts of inner-loop Houston. Yet these new office parks get built further and further out. It is really bad if reverse traveling to work is from the city to distant suburbs.

I know Chicago has a tech corridor developing just north of its downtown that was industrial. The city zones and promotes it to them. So I would hope Houston's can be closer to its inner-loop and core too. Of course with Houston, even the city is very spread out. Philly also has its tech development just west of its downtown in its University City. But the city suffers still with much more job growth in more distant suburbs too.

Houston needs to PLAN where it wants its tech corridor and zone and promote it. Chicago is and Philly just had it spin off from its University area. Seems Houston just HOPES they choose a area and no matter why in fast growth? They will get something somewhere with little planning. They should be thinking transit to areas that can and could be zoned commercial. But

But corporate America will choose and the city will let whatever happens happen. Houston is lucky to have such growth because of being in a no corporate tax state. But still could plan and promote them to build where it deems most advantages to for the city and think of future transit there planned.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:08 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,794,027 times
Quote:

But what about play?

KBR site?
Maybe I'm getting old...but I work 5 days a week and play (away from home) maybe 2-3 days a week. I'll gladly take a 10-minute daily commute over a 30-45 minute reverse commute, even if it means a longer drive to a few amenities.

I wouldn't call the suburban areas mentioned in this thread "void of any culture". Westchase? As was mentioned earlier, it's probably the most-diverse corner of Houston, with a restaurant selection to match. In my college days, my friends and I spent a lot more nights out along the Bellaire and Westheimer corridors than we did in Montrose.

Which brings up another issue with promoting a tech district in one of the "hot" areas you've mentioned...they've already gentrified, with high land and housing prices (except for parts of Eado I suppose). Start-up companies benefit from low prices, they can save the flashy HQ until after they've made it big. Near-suburban districts have comparatively lower land prices and an abundance of already-built office space, which can be offered far cheaper than brand-new office parks built on expensive land inside the loop.

Fundamentally - the kind of companies and workers that would appreciate a flashy Midtown location would probably rather be in Austin or the west coast anyways.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:00 PM

1,011 posts, read 977,139 times
Quote:

But what about play?

KBR site?
This is why I suggested 290 Dacoma/Mangum area. It's between 2 gentrifying areas in Spring Branch and Oak Forest. Lots of high end town homes are being built on Longpoint, Post Oak, and Westview. New builds and ranch renos are creeping into Oak Forest West and Mangum Manor. Scarborough HS just received almost $13 mill for reno just like Waltrip HS. The Northwest Mall is due to be revamped. The bus station is in the area. HSR supposedly is going to end there in the future. The area is just outside the loop and approximately the midpoint between the Energy Corridor and downtown. It's close to City Centre and the Heights/Montrose. The best part is that the area is still somewhat affordable.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:37 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Houston Community College has partnered with Apple Inc. (Nasdaq: AAPL) as the tech giant expands its app development curriculum to community colleges.

HCC is one of the first six community colleges to offer the company’s new “App Development with Swift” curriculum, Apple said in a May 24 press release. The full-year course is designed by Apple engineers and educators to teach students the Swift programming language specifically for Apple products. HCC also will open an iOS Coding and Design School to teach the curriculum.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/n...ew-coding.html

I wonder if this Coding School will be at their Midtown Campus ??

Old 05-25-2017, 01:27 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
I'm trying to determine if I want to eventually move my startup to Austin or remain in Houston.

If I stay in Houston, I'll probably relocate the business to mid-town in a year or so. I'll stay on Lake Houston but possibly move my residence down to the Kemah area.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:55 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times
Maybe someplace in the northeast corner of the county. There seems to be a lot of room to grow up there. There is just far too much growth occurring west of 45 and a new big industry is not something that is needed. East of 45 could surely benefit from a new industry.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:03 AM

143 posts, read 229,309 times
Have you seen the latest in co-working space? These are the types of developments that the creative class wants and Houston needs to support for emerging businesses. I don't think it's about being near single-family homes. What hipster wants to live in Westchase?

WeWork announces new downtown Houston location - Houston Chronicle

Old 06-24-2017, 08:57 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingDetroit View Post
Have you seen the latest in co-working space? These are the types of developments that the creative class wants and Houston needs to support for emerging businesses. I don't think it's about being near single-family homes. What hipster wants to live in Westchase?

WeWork announces new downtown Houston location - Houston Chronicle
Yea I think those who were thinking Westchase where thinking more about what area would be more convenient for themselves. This Tech District is geared more towards start --ups. Now Westchase may be a great place for the more successful companies to move to once they become more established and mature, but at this stage I think Midtown would be the better location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston