Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 03:50 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,572,790 times

Advertisements

I don't know what to say. I'm not a big fan of the Astros, but being a Cubs fan who lives here, I don't root against the Astros either. Will they win 60 games? I hope so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 11 hours ago)

52,700 posts, read 47,981,010 times
I'd like to see the Astros win again, but they're being forced to wait for their recent draft picks to break through into the bigs. The hand they're being dealt is not very good right now. To get real good again, they're going to probably have to go through a season like this one just so they can get better. GM Ed Wade has placed a huge emphasis on rebuilding the farm system and drafting good players. When he worked in Philly, he built that current Phillies team that is now one of the elite teams in the NL, mostly via the draft. He can do the same thing in Houston.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:21 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
How cheap are the tickets? (that's all I care about right now, so I can take my kids to a game)

Old 07-04-2011, 12:26 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,503,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I don't know what to say. I'm not a big fan of the Astros, but being a Cubs fan who lives here, I don't root against the Astros either. Will they win 60 games? I hope so.
I'm not sure I can hope the same.

After Uncle Drayton spent so many years not signing draft picks over money or just having the folks in control draft junk just to draft something (hence the current dearth of even close to big league ready minor league players), maybe a few ~60 win seasons will have them positioned at the top of the draft to make up for lost time.

I don't really follow (what once was) steroidball anymore, but I assume the lousier the record is the season before, the higher draft position a team gets.

I'd love to see 1991 all over again, but I don't see the next Kenny Lofton, Luis Gonzalez, Cammy, Bigg, Bagwell; hell, I'd even take the young Curt Chilling and chain smoking Mark Portugal...sigh.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:27 AM

613 posts, read 1,002,636 times
I was here during the World Series run in 2005. That was a lot of fun, even more so as I am a native Chicagoan and a White Sox fan plus managed to score tickets to game 4 of the sweep.

The team has obviously gone downhill since 2005. Sometimes it is good to rebuild around youth and dump the deadweight (Carlos Lee needs to go). Hope this rebuilding goes somewhere, however. Went to the game yesterday and the lack of any real offensive threat was bit disappointing. My kids kept asking when the train would go and I had to tell them that it would only go if there was a home run and the chance of the Astros hitting a home run was quite slim given a real lack of power hitting.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:29 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
How cheap are the tickets? (that's all I care about right now, so I can take my kids to a game)
Check their site. They have been flashing some good deals lately up on the new fancy scoreboard. Best I can remember is ticket, hot dog and drink $10.

This is Drayton's drought and we are just going to have to wait it out. DH"s high school buddy was kind enough to split his long held season tickets with us. We have had them for years, and they are such good seats, we will put up with anything just to keep them. DH has never left before the end of a game. We did for the first time the other night. We do not think Carlos Lee is deadwood, yet.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
We do not think Carlos Lee is deadwood, yet.
At the halfway point in the season, he is hitting .267 with 7 HRs and 45 RBI. For $19 million per year, that is a pretty poor return. 27% of the Astros opening day payroll was going to Lee.

You could say that he is just having a poor season. Of course, the counter to that is the fact that he hit 40 points below his career batting average last season and only drove in 85 runs.

At $19 mil, which makes him the 12th highest paid player in baseball based on salary, by the way, the guy is deadwood. He certainly isn't anywhere near the 12th best player in baseball.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:01 PM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
My goodness, you sound like my son and my NYC grandson. They figured out how many beers had to be sold per inning to pay his salary. Everything is relative. The team sucks. In every way one can measure. When a person is paying $250+ to see a damn ballgame, one needs some hope. They need a pitchers.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:02 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,817,403 times
I am a big fan of SF Giants.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
They need a pitchers.
That is kind of the point; if they weren't saddled with paying $19 million per year to a guy who has become an average (at best) MLB player, then they could afford pitchers. $19 million buys 2-4 pretty good players if you spend it well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston