Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 01:20 PM

6,294 posts, read 7,518,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Also in regards to attorneys and law firms, I dont know how one can say Houston or Dallas is more prestigious here. It depends on the industry. If your an oil and gas attorney, there is no better place to be than Houston. Dallas will have a more diverse section of law firms. It just depends.
First its been generally accepted that Houston law firms are more prestigious than other cities, outside of the northeast or perhaps the West Coast. More nationally recognized attorneys have called Houston their home base not to mention the Power that came along with being the energy capital as well.

In more practical terms the list I posted in the post where I made that statement, shows the top 100 Texas law firms ranked from 1 to of course 100 the top 3 are located in Houston. Any big city will have its share of legal prowess but Houston punches way over, even its own considerable weight in the legal sector.

Also you make an assumption that just because the tech sector in Dallas is better developed that the legal expertise in that area would be concentrated there as well, but you would be mistaken. The law is the law as they say ,and the law is exactly the same in Dallas as it is in Houston when it comes to intellectual property rights and patient law. The biggest law firms in Houston saw this trend coming way back in the early 1990's and took steps to enter and profit from that field of legal expertise.

"The Houston law firm Baker Botts, best known for its energy practice, has built one of the nation's largest and most successful intellectual property practices, opening offices in tech hot spots and developing an unusual compensation system to attract and keep talented lawyers.

The firm began developing the business in 1990 by hiring a dozen lawyers who specialized in patent law. A quarter century later, Baker Botts has about 180 attorneys working in intellectual property, representing clients such as AT&T, Samsung, Facebook, Hitachi and Cisco Systems.

The noted energy firm, which has 700 lawyers, today has offices in Silicon Valley, New York and Austin, with revenue from technology practice equalling that of its energy practice. "Of our top 10 clients, six are technology companies," says Baker Botts partner Bart Showalter, chair of the firm's intellectual property practice."

Baker Botts puts energy into intellectual property - Houston Chronicle

https://www.google.com/search?biw=13....0.8IiywrM3050

Legal expertise is a growth industry in Houston and has been for a very long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 03:38 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,783,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
First its been generally accepted that Houston law firms are more prestigious than other cities, outside of the northeast or perhaps the West Coast. More nationally recognized attorneys have called Houston their home base not to mention the Power that came along with being the energy capital as well.

In more practical terms the list I posted in the post where I made that statement, shows the top 100 Texas law firms ranked from 1 to of course 100 the top 3 are located in Houston. Any big city will have its share of legal prowess but Houston punches way over, even its own considerable weight in the legal sector.

Also you make an assumption that just because the tech sector in Dallas is better developed that the legal expertise in that area would be concentrated there as well, but you would be mistaken. The law is the law as they say ,and the law is exactly the same in Dallas as it is in Houston when it comes to intellectual property rights and patient law. The biggest law firms in Houston saw this trend coming way back in the early 1990's and took steps to enter and profit from that field of legal expertise.

"The Houston law firm Baker Botts, best known for its energy practice, has built one of the nation's largest and most successful intellectual property practices, opening offices in tech hot spots and developing an unusual compensation system to attract and keep talented lawyers.

The firm began developing the business in 1990 by hiring a dozen lawyers who specialized in patent law. A quarter century later, Baker Botts has about 180 attorneys working in intellectual property, representing clients such as AT&T, Samsung, Facebook, Hitachi and Cisco Systems.

The noted energy firm, which has 700 lawyers, today has offices in Silicon Valley, New York and Austin, with revenue from technology practice equalling that of its energy practice. "Of our top 10 clients, six are technology companies," says Baker Botts partner Bart Showalter, chair of the firm's intellectual property practice."

Baker Botts puts energy into intellectual property - Houston Chronicle

https://www.google.com/search?biw=13....0.8IiywrM3050

Legal expertise is a growth industry in Houston and has been for a very long time.
All you did was show Houston has some powerful law firms. Nobody disputed that. Show me a publication where Houston bests Dallas here.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:53 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,249,291 times
It won't let me edit my post, so I'll have to let this stand as my correction. In the good ol' days, we called it hyperbole. Now it's Fake News.

Appreciate the gentle remonstrations.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Houston is tops in the state when it comes to powerful and prestigious law firms , many if not most are international is scope. That along with Houston's international appeal tells me you should definitely consider Houston

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/tx/TX-Top100-Charts-0816.pdf
I really didn't think you would challenge this, I figured by now you would have been aware of this widely accepted axiom. Why do you insist on being difficult ?

Quote:
All you did was show Houston has some powerful law firms. Nobody disputed that. Show me a publication where Houston bests Dallas here.
I posted that "Houston is the tops in the state when it comes to powerful and prestigious law firms"

Then I posted a link that shows the top 3 law firms in the state are based in Houston , Norton Rose and Fulbright, Vinson and Elkins, Baker Botts. (See link in quote above)

Here is another ranking of state law firms that shows the top 6 law firms in the state are either based in Houston or only have offices in Houston. Again the top 3 are Houston based.

Best companies to work for|Best Law Firms in Texas|Vault.com

I would never say that any other city in Texas is void of good law firms, but by word of mouth, Texas legal folk lore ,observations of the ambient media, along with every rating metric I have ever seen, is that the top law firms in Texas, or that operate in Texas, are located in Houston.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I really didn't think you would challenge this, I figured by now you would have been aware of this widely accepted axiom. Why do you insist on being difficult ?

Did you read this link that you posted? Go through and count the number of law firms on that list that are in Houston and the law firms that are in Dallas and then bear in mind Houston is twice the size of Dallas.

Hint, there are 31 in Houston and 44 in Dallas. That does not include any in Fort Worth or Plano. Houston is twice the size and has less powerful law firms than Dallas. Explain that to me.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:30 AM

15,552 posts, read 7,577,507 times
Quote:
Did you read this link that you posted? Go through and count the number of law firms on that list that are in Houston and the law firms that are in Dallas and then bear in mind Houston is twice the size of Dallas.

Hint, there are 31 in Houston and 44 in Dallas. That does not include any in Fort Worth or Plano. Houston is twice the size and has less powerful law firms than Dallas. Explain that to me.
Houston firms are bigger than the Dallas firms, and have better clients. Dallas firm clients are two bit, low budget companies that are generally unsuccessful. Houston firms never lose, Dallas firms are lucky they don't get disbarred for incompetence.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:

This is pathetic ,I said the "top" and "most powerful" law firms not the most in number. I have provided 2 links that show, in one the "top 3" "most powerful" law firms are in Houston, and another that shows the top 6 are located in Houston . In that link no Dallas based firms even show up until the 13th position. Yet you cling to some specious argument that coming in 4th or 13th somehow shows equivalence , it does not.

Even though your arguments are annoying I will humor you by giving you one possible explanation as to why in one list a greater number of Dallas firms show up in lower rated positions. Its called the Amoeba effect. For whatever reason DFW firms grow to a point then for some inexplicable reason split up into a greater number of smaller less powerful firms. This article from Texas Monthly first reported this phenomena. This is from a Texas Monthly article from 1973 that shows one, this is not a recent development , two that the big three Houston law firms have been on "top" for a very long while.

THREE OF THE TEN BIGGEST LAW firms in the United States are located in Houston.

. No one outside New York is any longer even close: there is nothing in Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Boston, or Washington to match them.

Nor is there anything in Texas either. Dallas has five firms over 30, but none over 45. San Antonio, Fort Worth, and Austin trail far behind. Houston lawyers speak of an “amoeba complex” that regularly causes Dallas firms to split into separate factions just as they approach the 50 mark. It doesn’t happen in Houston.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/empires-of-paper/

POINT PROVEN BOOM !

Last edited by Jack Lance; 01-27-2018 at 11:32 AM..

Old 01-27-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
This is pathetic ,I said the "top" and "most powerful" law firms not the most in number. I have provided 2 links that show, in one the "top 3" "most powerful" law firms are in Houston, and another that shows the top 6 are located in Houston . In that link no Dallas based firms even show up until the 13th position. Yet you cling to some specious argument that coming in 4th or 13th somehow shows equivalence , it does not.

Even though your arguments are annoying I will humor you by giving you one possible explanation as to why in one list a greater number of Dallas firms show up in lower rated positions. Its called the Amoeba effect. For whatever reason DFW firms grow to a point then for some inexplicable reason split up into a greater number of smaller less powerful firms. This article from Texas Monthly first reported this phenomena. This is from a Texas Monthly article from 1973 that shows one, this is not a recent development , two that the big three Houston law firms have been on "top" for a very long while.

THREE OF THE TEN BIGGEST LAW firms in the United States are located in Houston.

. No one outside New York is any longer even close: there is nothing in Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Boston, or Washington to match them.

Nor is there anything in Texas either. Dallas has five firms over 30, but none over 45. San Antonio, Fort Worth, and Austin trail far behind. Houston lawyers speak of an “amoeba complex” that regularly causes Dallas firms to split into separate factions just as they approach the 50 mark. It doesn’t happen in Houston.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/empires-of-paper/

POINT PROVEN BOOM !
Its hard to have a discussion with someone who doesnt even read the links he posts.

1) In your original link you posted of the top 10 firms, Houston has 5 spots and Dallas has 5 spots.
2) Youre arguing about biggest law firms, not most powerful law firms.
3) The Texas Monthly article says that no firm in Dallas has more than 50 people. That is clearly inaccurate as proved by your first link that shows the top 100 biggest firms. Also you can make a visit to the websites of the law firms themselves and find this information. Hell, even Houston based Vinson and Elkins has 128 attorneys based in Dallas. They have 243 in Houston. What does appear to be the case is that Houston law firms are more global than the ones in Dallas, but again that has everything to do with the oil and gas industry given their global locations.
4) In looking at the case files of the biggest firms in Houston, the overwhelming majority of their cases come from two areas: oil and gas as well as conservative political causes. I said on the first post that there is no better place to be than Houston for an oil and gas attorney. I dont know why you missed that.
5) I never said Dallas was better than Houston in this regard and if the discussion were based on what city would have the most powerful single firm, it would probably be in Houston because of the strength of oil and gas law here. But if youre talking about which is best over all, based on the data YOU PROVIDED, I see no clear advantage. Once city has fewer bigger law firms, once city has more midsized law firms.

And if you think my arguments are annoying, try having to deal with a grade A homer who has the reading comprehension and data analysis skills of a 3rd grader. That really sucks.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Its hard to have a discussion with someone who doesnt even read the links he posts.

1) In your original link you posted of the top 10 firms, Houston has 5 spots and Dallas has 5 spots.
2) Youre arguing about biggest law firms, not most powerful law firms.
3) The Texas Monthly article says that no firm in Dallas has more than 50 people. That is clearly inaccurate as proved by your first link that shows the top 100 biggest firms. Also you can make a visit to the websites of the law firms themselves and find this information. Hell, even Houston based Vinson and Elkins has 128 attorneys based in Dallas. They have 243 in Houston. What does appear to be the case is that Houston law firms are more global than the ones in Dallas, but again that has everything to do with the oil and gas industry given their global locations.
4) In looking at the case files of the biggest firms in Houston, the overwhelming majority of their cases come from two areas: oil and gas as well as conservative political causes. I said on the first post that there is no better place to be than Houston for an oil and gas attorney. I dont know why you missed that.
5) I never said Dallas was better than Houston in this regard and if the discussion were based on what city would have the most powerful single firm, it would probably be in Houston because of the strength of oil and gas law here. But if youre talking about which is best over all, based on the data YOU PROVIDED, I see no clear advantage. Once city has fewer bigger law firms, once city has more midsized law firms.

And if you think my arguments are annoying, try having to deal with a grade A homer who has the reading comprehension and data analysis skills of a 3rd grader. That really sucks.
Your bullet point 1. I posted 3 of the "top" law firms were located (based) in Houston. The list ranked them by "best" law firms which is what the link was about are located in Houston. I did make a presumption that best was synonymous with most powerful or prestigious. The second link was even more definitive listing the "most prestigious" law firms in Texas No Dallas based firm did better than 13th. You come back with wait we (DFW) have more in the top 100 which is somehow equivalent to "top", which is a ridicules argument, but you made it anyway.

Your bullet point 2. The two links were titled "best" and most "prestigious" law firms in Texas. It turns out the biggest law firms happen in many cases to be the best and most prestigious, because as they gain in reputation they grow bigger like most business's do, that's elementary reasoning that somehow escaped you.

Your bullet point #3. I clearly posted that the article was from 1973 and all those firms have grown since then but the jest of the article was that the Houston firms were nationally recognized as being superior to any law firms in the country outside of New York. And of course those Houston firms have offices in Dallas, don't you think the good folks of Dallas deserves some decent legal representation as well?

Your bullet point #4. I understand many of their clients are oil and gas companies, but I also posted a link that showed at least in the case of Baker Botts their intellectual property and patient law business was equal in revenue as their oil and gas business, of course you skipped right over that one. BTW I'm sure many if not most of the Dallas firms will have clients in O&G as well.

Your bullet point #5. I know you wouldn't say that Dallas was better than Houston that would be a stretch that even the most adamant Dallas HOMER wouldn't dare make.

Now if your through with the smokescreen and strawman arguments and you would like to post some links to data that acquits the Dallas legal sector be my guest. But the links I have supplied more than support the superiority of the "top" Houston law firms.

Last edited by Jack Lance; 01-27-2018 at 04:44 PM..

Old 01-28-2018, 07:32 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,027,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixlady View Post
I have until tonight to decide. I have been put of San Antonio because of the car break ins and the fact that there are so many "gheto looking people". I do not want to judge anybody but we do want to land in a nice place. We do not have a huge budget anymore. Hotels have drained it!
You aren’t going to like the number of car break ins in Houston either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston