Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 08:46 AM

348 posts, read 461,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
I don't mind living in a townhouse like this. These townhouses have character/style. More expensive than some River Oaks houses though
/from my recent vacation/
Well yes, these are wonderful. They're in the UK though . These homes are old and were not made of wood/vinyl. Also, no parking which Houston needs. They're beautiful and typically have pretty long yards in the back. My cousin has one; the rooms are quite small and you have to add your own closer/wardrobe. Their new builds don't look like these though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 08:50 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,308,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbf2006 View Post
Well yes, these are wonderful. They're in the UK though . These homes are old and were not made of wood/vinyl. Also, no parking which Houston needs. They're beautiful and typically have pretty long yards in the back. My cousin has one; the rooms are quite small and you have to add your own closer/wardrobe. Their new builds don't look like these though.
Nope, parking is better off being abolished for Houston 610 townhome developments.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Nope, parking is better off being abolished for Houston 610 townhome developments.
That's fair. I just meant folks in Houston seem to want parking. I'm not there yet, so what do I know?

Old 02-09-2018, 08:58 AM

20,523 posts, read 33,590,056 times
Quote:
That's fair. I just meant folks in Houston seem to want parking. I'm not there yet, so what do I know?
I made this same argument in the city vs city forum with mhays. It's not that Houston is unable to develop without parking. It's if Houston is willing to develop without parking because so many want it.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:15 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,799,691 times
Removing parking from new developments would hurt drivers far more than it would help pedestrians. More to the point - no one would buy them. Even in dense cities in Europe and the NE - the rowhouses that offer no parking generally predate widespread adoption of the automobile. Most new developments include a fair bit of parking- maybe not one garage spot per unit, but at least one per 2 or 3.

I do wish that more Houston developers would figure out how to put the garage in the rear or around the side, or maybe centralize parking for each development, and have a nicer face towards the street.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Removing parking from new developments would hurt drivers far more than it would help pedestrians. More to the point - no one would buy them. Even in dense cities in Europe and the NE - the rowhouses that offer no parking generally predate widespread adoption of the automobile. Most new developments include a fair bit of parking- maybe not one garage spot per unit, but at least one per 2 or 3.

I do wish that more Houston developers would figure out how to put the garage in the rear or around the side, or maybe centralize parking for each development, and have a nicer face towards the street.
My building in NJ was completed in Fall 2016 and kinda looks like the wrap around that was pictured here. it's in the center in this NJ town and has parking at the back. You have to pay and can only get one space. Most other newer builds around here are the same. They all have packing. Even the new buildings in Manhattan seem to have parking...on the far west side anyway.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:41 AM

204 posts, read 202,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
I like some of them, and some of them I don't. I think it depends on the area, really. If you have a sidewalk in front of the condo and a little front porch area, and you can walk to some "hip" stuff then I can totally see it. These condos take up less space and they give more opportunity to own inside the loop for folks who otherwise could not afford it.

Where I don't like these structures is outside the loop in places like Spring Branch, where I live. Here, there is little walkability, and yet you're stuck with the downsides of the condo all the same. In a suburban space, these condos look strange and I do wonder a little bit about their long term viability.

I also don't like the rhetoric of many of the condos--they seem to be very shut off from the experience of the front porch and any kind of social interaction with the world around them. They're like tiny fortresses that tell people walking by, "get away". That's what's the most ugly to me about them.
I haven't made it through the whole thread yet, but I totally agree with this. I live in one of the 3 story townhouses in the Rice-Military area and love the location and walkability. I do miss my suburban space a lot though. We are in flux and may move back out.

Anyway, I think they make no sense in the suburbs either. And surprisingly, I've seen some high prices on some in the burbs. I would have no interest in one there, however, I do like the 3 story living, so maybe if it had a traditional suburban yard size, I might give it more of a consideration.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:24 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,308,354 times
Quote:
The problem is that we don't know this for a fact.

Even if we did, we would still have to dig deeper regarding the origins of the want, as it can have huge implications regarding the development styles that are viable. For instance, is it that people actually desire driving in general? Or is it that they want to drive simply because all the other options (PT, sidewalks, amenities, etc) are limited?

Old 02-09-2018, 11:48 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,825,739 times
I love people who are so self-centered and arrogant to think that their view of "ugly" should be everyone's view.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:36 PM

35 posts, read 101,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
I don't mind living in a townhouse like this. These townhouses have character/style. More expensive than some River Oaks houses though
/from my recent vacation/
I think beauty/ugly is pretty subjective. I prefer townhomes here that those above , but I am not an architect or artist as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston