Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2018, 05:30 AM

5 posts, read 2,270 times

Advertisements

I want to find structures or buildings that have art with repeating patterns (tessellations). A place were I could go and take a picture of a painting, wall, ceiling, etc with patterns that repeat as the ones shown in this album.

https://imgur.com/a/sKubr

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 07:11 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,005,041 times
You might try the chase bank bldg downtown that was the old gulf oil blog at one time. Maybe one of the esperson buildings also downtown. Some of he older more historic churches might also have what you are looking for.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:42 AM

Thanks

Old 03-21-2018, 10:16 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,566,366 times
Downtown Houston is one of the better places in the country for this sort of thing, honestly.

Do it, it's fun!

IMG_0100 by James Fremont, on Flickr

The Medical Center is also a place where this can be done.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:34 PM

Thanks, last one is really good.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:15 PM

FYI Shriner's did not let me park to take a picture, and I wasn't gonna pay for parking.

James Fremont one..

Old 03-22-2018, 03:07 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,566,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuspportillo View Post
FYI Shriner's did not let me park to take a picture, and I wasn't gonna pay for parking..
Yeah, that dog won't hunt. You can't just roll up on the street in front of a TMC hospital to take pictures. that's not how I operated. I did a fair amount of legwork for Houston photography. Parked the car at home or at a friend's when visiting and walked/rode METRO to find it. Most of my Houston photo safaris went through the TMC transit center, as I lived on the 14 bus line and connected to the light rail there.

The first two frames are more representative for what I look for They are not intended to be artistic patterns like that wall at Shriners. The often minimalist modern design of many Houston skyscrapers (especially in clusters like downtown and TMC) lend themselves to abstract forms and patterns that can be isolated through your lens. This is where a little creativity on your part comes in.

IMG_0644 by James Fremont, on Flickr

If you like to do photography of this style, and want to find stuff in the built environment to create a simplistic pattern like this, you are going to have to break the "rules" of photography a bit. This "pattern" is not something you will just drive up to a wall and see. It's actually a very nondescript building in the central business district in New Orleans, with many just like it in Houston. But at the right angle and zoom, with a tilt of the camera about 45 degrees and it looks like this.

Sometimes I've had to bend my knees, find a higher vantage point, or even laid flat on the ground to create some of these effects. This is one of my favorite things to do in the urban photography world. It's like an Easter egg hunt.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Sometimes I've had to bend my knees, find a higher vantage point, or even laid flat on the ground to create some of these effects. This is one of my favorite things to do in the urban photography world. It's like an Easter egg hunt.
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate your help and I admire your work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
You might try the chase bank bldg downtown that was the old gulf oil blog at one time. Maybe one of the esperson buildings also downtown. Some of he older more historic churches might also have what you are looking for.
Thanks. JP Morgan had what I needed. Their ceiling is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: