Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2018, 01:17 AM

4 posts, read 1,844 times

Advertisements

We just bought a brand new home in the Spring area which has an existing covered patio, we will like to add on a full kitchen (Sink, gas stove, grill, prep space etc..) Basically, we want to add a small second kitchen to the house in a 10 X10 space with a sliding door to the other part of our covered patio which already has acces to water, gas and electric. I do not want to spend too much but want something nice and durable, we plan to use this area as the main kitchen instead of cooking in the main house. Is this feeaseble? How much should I plan to spend and can I have some recommendation for reliable contractors in the Spring/Woodlands area. And how long will it take to finish this project, I have already purchased the sink and floor tiles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 05:59 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,021,220 times
Every project is different. Your best bet is to start with 4-5 contractors and get quotes. No way we're going to be able to tell you what it's going to cost but the "I don't want to spend too much" is all relative. It's probably going to be more expensive than you think it's going to be. Cheap, nice, and durable aren't words that can be used together.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:14 AM

381 posts, read 1,093,195 times
So this is an outdoor kitchen? If so, are you going to have a dishwasher out there? What about an oven? Do you really want to cook when the weather is awful (either pouring rain, very hot, too cold etc)? What impact does humidity and general weather have on appliances, pipes etc even when covered?

Personally, I really dislike outdoor kitchens. I would rather cook and wash dishes inside a climate controlled area and around other members of the family like children.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:42 PM

Lol...thank you for your honesty. I will go with your advice to get multiple quotes. The problem is, we have only been here for 2 years and we do not have that many contacts. Do you know of any contractors to recommend? I find the home advisor, Angie list etc.. contractors sketchy.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:48 PM

That is why we want the outdoor kitchen built on the house as an enclosure with doors et. al. so we can use it year round. I see your point but there is nothing worse than smelling garlic and spice all over the house after cooking. I love to cook every day so I am hoping this plan will help solve the issue of having to open the windows to air out the house after cooking.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:49 PM

860 posts, read 1,586,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springchic View Post
That is why we want the outdoor kitchen built on the house as an enclosure with doors et. al. so we can use it year round. I see your point but there is nothing worse than smelling garlic and spice all over the house after cooking. I love to cook every day so I am hoping this plan will help solve the issue of having to open the windows to air out the house after cooking.
If you have a range hood with an appropriately-sized exhaust fan and actually use it, there shouldn't be a problem eith cooking smells throughout the house. Of course, to some of us, the scent of baking bread, cookies, cake, etc., is wonderful!

Old 07-06-2018, 05:11 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk08 View Post
If you have a range hood with an appropriately-sized exhaust fan and actually use it, there shouldn't be a problem eith cooking smells throughout the house. Of course, to some of us, the scent of baking bread, cookies, cake, etc., is wonderful!
When we redid our kitchen, we installed a vent hood with a 1200 cfm fan on the roof. On high, you could probably put a baby up there and have it stay in place

Old 07-07-2018, 08:27 AM

264 posts, read 442,075 times
Springchic, are you talking about installing a "dirty" kitchen? I've heard of them but have only seen a couple in Houston. I've seen it incorporated into a large utility room. You must be quite a serious cook!

Old 07-08-2018, 01:55 AM

Default Outside add on kicthen

Yes, some people call it "Dirty Kithen" and it is very common in the Philipines and notvery common in the US. I love to cook and a "hardcore" one! ...I have a kid with Autism and cooking my own "clean meals" has helped tremendously. I learnt some years back that our meals has a lot to do with our health, "garbage in garbage out". I want to be able to use this outdoor kicthen for everything I can do indoors, infact we are willing to spend just as much as we spent for out indoor kitchen. That is how important it is to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston