Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 11:04 PM

7 posts, read 7,824 times

Advertisements

I know, another one of “ those threads”...😉

Short story, lived in Houston for ten years after school, loved it. But was an “inner looper”...

Took a job in tech with the sole purposes of adventure and trying to “get ahead” making CA money for a while, mission somewhat accomllished

Now, wife and two very young daughters in tow, are moving back with a job in the Woodlands. While I have been to the Pavillion/mall many times, I haven’t exactly looked for family friendly neighbor hoods near to the area. I still have quite a few friends in Houston, but they are all mostly still inner loopers with jobs downtown, counting on private schools as there kids get older. A few have moved to Cypress which seems younger and up and coming, but just too far from TW for me to consider.

Silly question maybe but are there any “younger” neighborhoods (meaning younger families) or is TW just all old money? What about surrounding areas ? I can definetly handle a 30 min commute so open to a bit of a reverse commute.

My priorities are 1) good schools 2) some sort of family friendly socialabld neighborhood...our years of NorCal/tech life really emphasize how much more important that is than most other things.

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 11:06 PM

Sorry for the typos, my internet had a bit of a freak out

Old 02-23-2018, 05:38 AM

318 posts, read 338,276 times
Glad you enjoyed your time in San Jose, we’re here from Houston also, doing 3 years then headed back to Texas. NorCal has sooooooo much to do and the work experience has been great, but With a family Texas will still be home.

Good look on your search, I don’t know too much about the woodlands area

Old 02-23-2018, 07:10 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,905,674 times
Creekside is the newest area, thus more young families; though plenty of kids throughout The Woodlands. Conroe ISD has the better schools as of today. There is so much being built around the edges of TW, you would certainly need a good agent to navigate your options.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:19 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,331,162 times
What’s your budget and where are you working?

Old 02-23-2018, 08:13 AM

986 posts, read 1,274,941 times
The Woodlands is not "old money" and is definitely family-oriented. Don't plan on getting downtown in 30 minutes though.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:26 AM

694 posts, read 838,863 times
You bring up a really good point about "young family" neighborhoods.....I have noticed over the years that new neighborhoods tend to be fairly homogeneous, because people buy there for fairly similar reasons....and the cohort of their similarly aged kids makes its way through elementary, middle and then High Schools more or less together.

When the kids go off to college, the neighborhood becomes less homogeneous as some parents sell and move on, and are again replaced with younger families, now looking at the older, perhaps lesser priced homes. There is a transition period, where neighborhoods are mixed and then the cycle tends to repeat, but never quite as clearly divided as it was before

There are neighborhoods all over the area that have a distinct "age" to them.

I guess the best way to deal with this would be take a look at the distribution of elementary school classes in the school that feeds from your neighborhood, growing neighborhoods tend to have portable classrooms set up to handle an initial surge, that they expect to reduce as the neighborhood ages, so no real need to build brick and mortar classrooms .....our local elementary school has 8 Kindergarten classes this year, meaning a large cohort of kids that age. I expect over the years those portable classrooms to slowly be removed.

Welcome back to Houston, good luck!

Old 02-23-2018, 08:26 AM

No my job would be in TW proper (I’m not commuting into DT) so I want to stay near the area, preferably slightly south side for a weekend trip into the city.

Budget is flexible - but generally 600-700k is a good value point for me.

Soooo much to do in the Bay Area, I understand why young people without kids wouldn’t want to ever move, even if it means a life of $3-4K monthly renting. South Bay in particular is a bit underrated.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:04 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,058,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
The Woodlands is not "old money" and is definitely family-oriented. Don't plan on getting downtown in 30 minutes though.
More like an hour and a half between 7am and 9am. ugh

Thanks goodness I only need to make that commute twice a month. The rest of the time I work out of my office in The Woodlands.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:42 PM

98 posts, read 91,407 times
My kid goes to Ann Sullivan in Riverstone but man it feels like Mumbai in there. I would love some better diversity. 80% of one kind is way too much. Even my kid feels a bit off according to what he is saying. O well, 2 more years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugLandDAd View Post
I guess the best way to deal with this would be take a look at the distribution of elementary school classes in the school that feeds from your neighborhood, growing neighborhoods tend to have portable classrooms set up to handle an initial surge, that they expect to reduce as the neighborhood ages, so no real need to build brick and mortar classrooms .....our local elementary school has 8 Kindergarten classes this year, meaning a large cohort of kids that age. I expect over the years those portable classrooms to slowly be removed.

Welcome back to Houston, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston