Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 08:12 PM

3 posts, read 8,198 times

Advertisements

First time posting...looking for feedback about houston area private schools: river oaks baptist vs st. john's vs Annunciation Orthodox School.

I know they are all excellent schools... I'd like to hear more about what makes them different. It seems that SJS is a teeny bit better academically, but ROBS and AOS have faith and character development. Not sure how they compare in athletics. And, obviously ROBS and AOS go through 8th grade which can be a pro (get into a good high school, resources devoted to elementary and middle, no pressures of HS) or a con (start over in 9th grade, may not get into a good private HS).

As background, my son is on the young side (turns 5 in May) and it sounds like all of the schools are forcing him to go on to Kindergarten (rather than hold him back so he's old in the grade)... He's super advanced academically and did really well on the WPPSI, but I worry about the social aspects (would rather send an older kid to college than a barely 18 year old!). Would love to hear how these schools are different socially as well... or just thoughts in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 09:08 PM

118 posts, read 254,141 times
No advice on the schools, but our oldest is a summer birthday. For the same reasons as you, we did an additional year at a private preschool before going on to kinder. Worked out great for our family.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:20 AM

39 posts, read 65,589 times
May, while younger, is not particuarly young, HISD cutover is Sept 1 and most privates (incl. AOS and Presbyterian, not sure about ROBS) is July 15. Understand there are various pros and cons to holding back, but most people I know thinking about that are more in the summer.

St Johns is considered the 'best' private school in Houston, but does have a very competitive atmosphere. AOS would be more balanced. ROBS, Presbyterian, and ST. Marks are others in the same general area and all are approximately equal in academic reputation with AOS. ROBS is probably the most focused on faith. All good and all will not be particuarly easy to get into (think 6-12 spots with likely 100+ applications).

Old 02-07-2017, 12:32 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,512,946 times
If your child is already academically super advanced, holding them back a year will not be helpful. There's a very good chance that you'll end up skipping kindergarten anyway once he gets in and they realize he already knows all of it. And surely you are choosing these schools so that they will teach your child the values necessary to not make stupid decisions in college!

Old 02-07-2017, 01:22 PM

914 posts, read 1,831,815 times
My daughter attended ROBS for middle school. We loved the school. It has excellent academics and sports. ROBS has a protestant religious emphasis. St. John's is secular. AOS is Greek Orthodox. AOS and ROBS only go through 9th grade while St. John's includes high school. St. Johns' is the hardest admission, but all have many more applicants than they have spots. Apply to all 3 schools, and be happy if your kid gets in any of them. You can't go wrong with any of the three schools. Legacy admits take up a lot of the class at St. John's.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:10 PM

730 posts, read 774,727 times
Presbyterian is another good one to look at.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:25 PM

509 posts, read 734,707 times
There are a large number of good private schools in Houston, yet only the same half dozen ever seem to get discussed with any frequency. So rather than rehash the comparison of AOS, ROBS & St. Johns for the umpteenth time, I will post a link to the HAIS website so people can find info on dozens of good schools (BTW, even this list is not comprehensive):

Houston Private Schools

Even inside Loop 610, there are plenty of alternatives to those three. The OP may have already started with a wide selection and narrowed it down, but I get the impression many others are unaware of the full range of their options.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:14 PM

3 posts, read 8,198 times
These are helpful responses - thank you!

Yes, we started with a more exhaustive list and narrowed down to these three. Agree that there are several really excellent schools... so nice to have options, but it can be paralyzing too!

Curious to find out soon where my son will get in... assuming he gets in to all three (which he won't, of course), I'm still not totally sure where he'd fit in best. Or, where our family would fit in best, for that matter. The faith aspect is a "plus" for our family, but not necessarily a "must".

Old 02-17-2017, 06:37 AM

86 posts, read 132,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albany16 View Post
These are helpful responses - thank you!

Yes, we started with a more exhaustive list and narrowed down to these three. Agree that there are several really excellent schools... so nice to have options, but it can be paralyzing too!

Curious to find out soon where my son will get in... assuming he gets in to all three (which he won't, of course), I'm still not totally sure where he'd fit in best. Or, where our family would fit in best, for that matter. The faith aspect is a "plus" for our family, but not necessarily a "must".
All of those schools are members of HAIS, so decisions should be released around March 10th this year (right before HISD Spring Break). They also follow a similar Common Reply Date of April 5th (when people who have been accepted must lock in their acceptance). Since they are competitive schools, there may be students in a Wait Pool, so if you're accepted you'll want to let them know what your decision is before April 5th. If you're in the Wait Pool, you'll want to let them know you're still interested.

Best wishes for a good match!

Old 02-19-2017, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,348 times
There are also excellent public school options, River Oaks Elementary, TH Rogers Elementary, etc. or TH Rogers, Pin Oak, Lanier MS, etc, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: