Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 09:41 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I lived in Lake Charles for a few years. That job growth is only temporary. Once all the expansions are made, there will be a halt. And tourism is also a factor growing the jobs there. On the LNG, you do realize these companies are headquartered in Houston. Lake Charles is a completely blue collar town in regards to energy.
There are 8 more LNG brand new plants on the board in LC. This is in addition to the 2 already built.

For the already built LNG plants, there is an extra "train" planned for each.

The expansion isn't nearly over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Every port on the Texas coast is dredged (or artificial as you call it) What needs to be done to any or all of them will be done. The Texas coast also has advantages Louisiana does not. Being more convenient to the Texas oil fields is just one. Another is a geographic advantage that no Port in any other Gulf state can compete with. That's simply that the Texas coast is as far west you can go in the Atlantic basin and is a huge reason Houston gets the lion share of container traffic destined for Gulf Ports. Something like 75% of all the container business of all Gulf Coast ports. That container cargo is vital to the economic diversity of not only Houston but much of Texas as well and will be accommodated somehow, someway !
You don't seem to understand. The HSC needs to be widened not only deepened. The deepening is an issue because of a couple of tunnels in the area. The widening is an issue because various container ports and facilities will lose square acreage on their property. Then there is direct facing HSC acreage, which is almost zero. In other words there is no available land along the HSC.

Other ports will and ARE taking up the slack. Lake Charles is taking advantage of this, I've seen this firsthand.

Also, Corpus Christi is further west than Houston so it will start to grow immensely as Houston maxes out.

It's Houston's fault, they were very successful with their port but now the decision to build a channel instead of using a natural element has come back to bite them. Imagine if the port had been built along the Bolivar peninsula, there would be unlimited space. They have succeeded for the last 100 years with this regime but now we're seeing the limitations.

Other ports will take advantage.

Corpus Christi is competing neck and neck with Houston for oil exports. There are a lot of issues as CC has a large tourism industry. Also Beaumont is in the mix. Everyone's trying to compete here because Houston doesn't have enough room in the HSC.

https://apps.publicintegrity.org/blo...m-port-cities/

Last edited by cBach; 12-28-2018 at 10:04 AM..

Old 12-28-2018, 11:25 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,526,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Also, Corpus Christi is further west than Houston so it will start to grow immensely as Houston maxes out.

It's Houston's fault, they were very successful with their port but now the decision to build a channel instead of using a natural element has come back to bite them. Imagine if the port had been built along the Bolivar peninsula, there would be unlimited space. They have succeeded for the last 100 years with this regime but now we're seeing the limitations.

Corpus Christi is competing neck and neck with Houston for oil exports. There are a lot of issues as CC has a large tourism industry. Also Beaumont is in the mix. Everyone's trying to compete here because Houston doesn't have enough room in the HSC.

Whenever I visit Corpus Christi, I always have an impression of an empty city. Stagnant businesses, half empty beach in the middle of summer, underdeveloped. This city has a lot of potential but doesn't really want to use it. One CC native told me they intentionally don't want to grow, just want to keep it simple. Galveston looks a lot more active during summer.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Whenever I visit Corpus Christi, I always have an impression of an empty city. Stagnant businesses, half empty beach in the middle of summer, underdeveloped. This city has a lot of potential but doesn't really want to use it. One CC native told me they intentionally don't want to grow, just want to keep it simple. Galveston looks a lot more active during summer.
CC beach is on the bay and sucks. If you go out to Port A there are a lot of people on the beach.

I agree that CC is a quiet, sleepy town but most people like it that way. You can drive on the beach and the weather is better than Galveston.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:26 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
You don't seem to understand. The HSC needs to be widened not only deepened. The deepening is an issue because of a couple of tunnels in the area. The widening is an issue because various container ports and facilities will lose square acreage on their property. Then there is direct facing HSC acreage, which is almost zero. In other words there is no available land along the HSC.

Other ports will and ARE taking up the slack. Lake Charles is taking advantage of this, I've seen this firsthand.

No, cBach you are the one that doesn't seem to understand. First the whole point of building the HSC was to provide a "protected" channel that Bolivar would not provide. Secondly you need more than water to make a port usable. You also need roads, and rail connections as well ,again Bolivar would not be sufficient in that area either. Thirdly the Baytown tunnel is gone, they demolished it in 1998 shortly after the completion of the Fred Hartman bridge over the channel. The Washburn tunnel is farther west and nobody is even thinking about building export facilities that far upstream. Corpus is farther west but has no infrastructure to handle much if any containerized cargo. Houston being closer to other major population centers, pretty much has it's way in that area.

Let the other Ports compete, it's all good for Houston in the long run, for all this infrastructure will be designed, built , and managed by Companies with Headquarters and or major operations in Houston.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:47 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,526,390 times
Quote:
CC beach is on the bay and sucks. If you go out to Port A there are a lot of people on the beach.

I agree that CC is a quiet, sleepy town but most people like it that way. You can drive on the beach and the weather is better than Galveston.
I've been to Port A several times, of course.

CC could have been a lot more successful, they just don't want much development. It reminds me Atlantic City. Atlantic City has so much potential, but it is a way behind Vegas.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
I've been to Port A several times, of course.

CC could have been a lot more successful, they just don't want much development. It reminds me Atlantic City. Atlantic City has so much potential, but it is a way behind Vegas.
CC will have slow gradual growth.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:49 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,943,769 times
Quote:
CC will have slow gradual growth.
CC had historically suffered from a "let's just stay an overgrown fishing town" mentality, but from recent work there, I think it's finally changing. Their port is definitely hot for expansion - the harbor bridge is being rebuilt to accommodate taller ships. Someone mentioned empty beaches - is it that way on NPI? There's actually a lot of talk about new development to capitalize on NPI, which of course directly fronts the Gulf.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:51 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,943,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
No, cBach you are the one that doesn't seem to understand. First the whole point of building the HSC was to provide a "protected" channel that Bolivar would not provide. Secondly you need more than water to make a port usable. You also need roads, and rail connections as well ,again Bolivar would not be sufficient in that area either. Thirdly the Baytown tunnel is gone, they demolished it in 1998 shortly after the completion of the Fred Hartman bridge over the channel. The Washburn tunnel is farther west and nobody is even thinking about building export facilities that far upstream. Corpus is farther west but has no infrastructure to handle much if any containerized cargo. Houston being closer to other major population centers, pretty much has it's way in that area.

Let the other Ports compete, it's all good for Houston in the long run, for all this infrastructure will be designed, built , and managed by Companies with Headquarters and or major operations in Houston.
No one has mentioned Port Freeport, which is the deepest of the Gulf ports, I believe. It's close enough to the Houston metro that we could participate in its expansion. There's been a huge amount of industrial development down there, significant enough to rival the PoH / Baytown area.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:24 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
No one has mentioned Port Freeport, which is the deepest of the Gulf ports, I believe. It's close enough to the Houston metro that we could participate in its expansion. There's been a huge amount of industrial development down there, significant enough to rival the PoH / Baytown area.
Their website says "Port Freeport is 46 feet deep and is being dredged to 56 feet", which will allow it to handle VLCC ( very large crude carrier) ships. That is critical for the export of crude. They also have a LNG terminal going in down there as well.They not only have Highway and rail access, but all kinds of pipelines terminate there. Good catch !

I would prefer more crude exported from Ports like Freeport, and allow Port Houston to continue it's growth in container cargo myself.

Port Freeport | Ports in Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston