Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 10:41 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times

Advertisements

We bought a condo in May 2018, so at closing, the title company prorated the prop tax based on the current values. But when we received the 2018 tax statement, the valuation had gone up substantially. The prorated amount no longer covered the seller's share.

Is this just the way it is, or does a buyer have recourse?

Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Random numbers used as an example to clarify:

At time of closing, tax was $200. Based on closing date, we were credited $80 towards taxes (40% of year at date of closing).

Tax statement comes in, and tax is now $300. Seller should have paid $120 if this was known. They are $40 short.

Multiply this by hundreds, and it becomes significant enough to ask about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 11:50 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,491,963 times
What does the contract say? Or the closing statement. You can always request the seller pay the actual amount.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:46 PM

The contract is vague (at least to me). It says "the current year’s ad valorem taxes" will be prorated. And that's it. No other language at all.

Is that last Jan, or this Jan?

Old 01-06-2019, 01:13 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,327,595 times
The seller owes their share of the actual 2018 property taxes. If the valuation changed significantly after you purchased the house, you should have some claim to a refund. I'd ask them, expect a "no" and then decide if it's worth pursuing (which it probably isn't).

Old 01-06-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
The seller owes their share of the actual 2018 property taxes. If the valuation changed significantly after you purchased the house, you should have some claim to a refund. I'd ask them, expect a "no" and then decide if it's worth pursuing (which it probably isn't).
I'm assuming by "refund" you mean a refund from the seller against what I just sent the County?

It's mid four figures, it's worth at least investigating. I've asked the title company what my options are.

Thanks.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:54 PM

137 posts, read 217,864 times
The title company that handled your closing (and prorated the settlement taxes) should facilitate a solution.

Last edited by creekstone; 01-06-2019 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: Just noticed that you alerted your title company.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:34 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,327,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I'm assuming by "refund" you mean a refund from the seller against what I just sent the County?

It's mid four figures, it's worth at least investigating. I've asked the title company what my options are.

Thanks.
Yes, thanks for the clarification. Remember, they should only "owe" for the prorated time that they owned the property for.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekstone View Post
The title company that handled your closing (and prorated the settlement taxes) should facilitate a solution.
Thanks, I've reached out to them. Will post back what I hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Yes, thanks for the clarification. Remember, they should only "owe" for the prorated time that they owned the property for.
I'm clear on that, thanks.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:41 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,020,071 times
This doesn't help in hindsight, but HCAD appraisals should have been received in April for the current year. If the current year appraisals come in before closing, I will ask the seller's agent and the title company to prorate taxes based on the current year appraisal or selling price rather than the prior year actuals and typically everyone is good with it. I always do have to ask though. I don't think title companies do that by default because technically the appraised value can change by protest. If it's before the appraisal it's 4 months or less the seller owned the property so I don't usually bother unless there is some unusual reason that I'd expect a huge change in the appraisal (I never have had that situation arise).

Old 01-07-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
This doesn't help in hindsight, but HCAD appraisals should have been received in April for the current year. If the current year appraisals come in before closing,
Thanks, interesting info. I've looked at the HCAD page, and don't see any notation for when the appraisal was listed, just by the year. Am I missing anything?

I'm curious what, if anything, the title company will respond with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: