Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 10:34 AM

875 posts, read 1,661,316 times

Advertisements

Houston just needs a major theme park, some sort of rail line on Westheimer (also needs to connect the APs to DT), and a MAJOR retail overhaul in the Downtown area.

IMO the key to retail in DT is trying to attract stores that the region does not have, for example a Bloomingdale (or something similar). Hell I know for sure we need a Apple Store in DT (we don't have a major electronic stores here either). Like get rid of that Forever 21 and replace it with a Urban Outfitters or H & M. Just my observation.

Also, the DT Aquarium sucks, like we are major gulf cost region and our Aquarium does not reflect that. It's just not a very exciting place, def not like the Aquarium in Atlanta (or even Dallas), and these places are no where near the coast.

I like this city just wish the planners would do a better job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 10:42 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,937,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Houston just needs a major theme park, some sort of rail line on Westheimer (also needs to connect the APs to DT), and a MAJOR retail overhaul in the Downtown area.

IMO the key to retail in DT is trying to attract stores that the region does not have, for example a Bloomingdale (or something similar). Hell I know for sure we need a Apple Store in DT (we don't have a major electronic stores here either). Like get rid of that Forever 21 and replace it with a Urban Outfitters or H & M. Just my observation.

Also, the DT Aquarium sucks, like we are major gulf cost region and our Aquarium does not reflect that. It's just not a very exciting place, def not like the Aquarium in Atlanta (or even Dallas), and these places are no where near the coast.

I like this city just wish the planners would do a better job.
It is not the planners' jobs to open private retail operations. And trying to doing revitalization based on comparison goods shopping these days is mostly a fool's errand unless you've got a really good angle. Department stores everywhere are just trying to stay alive. And Downtown is certainly not the place for them regardless.

I already dismissed the theme park bit - nice for the population of the region, not a strategy for attraction on a national level.

You write like you're stuck in 1978.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:55 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
It is not the planners' jobs to open private retail operations.
It's not the planner jobs to open business along Grand Parkway
but it is their job to build public infrastructure planned correctly to make it work for everybody
and not just whoever got a gas station or walmart at the intersection (typical Houston planning).

Old 01-16-2019, 10:58 AM

875 posts, read 1,661,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
It is not the planners' jobs to open private retail operations. And trying to doing revitalization based on comparison goods shopping these days is mostly a fool's errand unless you've got a really good angle. Department stores everywhere are just trying to stay alive. And Downtown is certainly not the place for them regardless.

I already dismissed the theme park bit - nice for the population of the region, not a strategy for attraction on a national level.

You write like you're stuck in 1978.
No it's not you job to do that but you all can come with better planning than what you are doing now. Especially in regards to the railing system we have here. I understand that you don't have control on what retail enters the region, but you can def help create in an environment in which retail can thrive, in which you don't. LOL I'm not the one stuck in 1978 sir, I believe that's all you..LOL. Where is your vision, where is your dream, why are you even a planner. I can see it, I don't see why you can't...

Old 01-16-2019, 11:11 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
People living in the city know that parking can be painful even *with* required parking spaces (think parts of inner city areas where parking isn't allowed on side streets), but people in the suburbs outside of Beltway 8 may not...

I do wonder what the rationale was for having parking requirements in the first place, as in were there businesses that didn't do this and some controversy over people using side streets came up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
Regardless, partial exemptions aren't enough:
https://marketurbanism.com/2017/08/0...back-downtown/

Old 01-16-2019, 11:28 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,937,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
No it's not you job to do that but you all can come with better planning than what you are doing now. Especially in regards to the railing system we have here. I understand that you don't have control on what retail enters the region, but you can def help create in an environment in which retail can thrive, in which you don't. LOL I'm not the one stuck in 1978 sir, I believe that's all you..LOL. Where is your vision, where is your dream, why are you even a planner. I can see it, I don't see why you can't...
Actually planners have been shepherding some substantial visions for Downtown that have resulted in a much better place than it was 20 years ago. Discovery Green? A result of planning. Better, wider sidewalks and street trees? Planning. Market Square improvements? Planning.

Planners in the 1960s and 1970s tried to do exactly the recommendations you're espousing, and it was disastrous. It led to failures like Downtown indoor malls and pedestrian malls. It was total ignorance of what was reasonably possible in the market. Planners are trying to be a lot more informed now and promote visions that are actually achievable.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:00 PM

15,427 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Walkability is good when you drink.
I don't drink(I have issues with sense of smell and taste, and alcohol tastes awful), so that's not a problem. And, wouldn't that be "staggerability"?

Old 01-16-2019, 07:09 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,266,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I don't drink(I have issues with sense of smell and taste, and alcohol tastes awful), so that's not a problem. And, wouldn't that be "staggerability"?
The point, clearly, is that for the many that do drink, walkable areas offer close proximity between the venue and the home, as well as numerous alternatives in getting to the home (bus, train, etc). That way, you won't have to worry about any mayhem from drunk drivers.

Last edited by kemahkami; 01-16-2019 at 07:18 PM..

Old 01-16-2019, 09:33 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,621,029 times
I don't know if OP was complaining about a lack of tourist attractions or just something to do in Houston in general. OP could be a 12 year old kid for all I know. If we're talking about every day things to do than Houston has more than what some of the posters are giving it credit for. There's literally something to do in Houston everyday. There's always a festival or some kind of event catered to everyone. It's like none of you people get out of your suburb and explore the city. People go out Monday-Sunday in Houston. There's not really a big concentration like other tourist friendly cities but there's a plethora of pockets scattered throughout the city that offers more than enough.

And before start throwing in city comparisons, I've been to quite a few major cities in America and around night time in any major city I like to avoid the tourist traps and do what the locals do. I've been to NYC/SF/DC/Chicago/Oakland/New Orleans/ Miami/Austin,etc. and Houston especially in the past 7 to 10 years offers about the same type of social scenes.

Yeah the concentration of bars and venues in a city like Austin is unique and I would love for Houston to have that CONCENTRATION(when I was younger, could care less about it now) but those pockets still offer enough to do.

In one day/night I can hit up the Museum district, go see a play in Herman Park or catch a show at Match, hell even hang out at Menil Collection yard and go see some exhibits. Socialize,network and see art and have some drinks at Sawyer Yards. Than at night you can hit up some bars/lounges in EaDo, see a band perform and have some drinks at Axelrad, even Main street in downtown is adding a lot of cool places.

If you can't find anything to do in a major city than maybe your boring. That's completely on you.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:50 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
The problem isn't so much that there's nothing to do. The problem is it's too much work and time getting to any of it, and most of your day is spent driving. I know when I visit cities, I want to get around as easily as possible with as little driving as necessary. I would wish a Fallout 3-style nuclear apocalypse on Washington, DC if I was forced to drive everywhere to get anywhere, great restaurants and museums be damned, and it had the standard of pedestrian infrastructure of Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston