Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 12:14 PM

11,800 posts, read 8,008,183 times

Advertisements

I seem to get vibes of Miami in certain areas of Houston due to the palm trees, architecture, and freeways / access roads / Toll roads as well as the horizontal traffic lights which Miami has alot of. Then with the multiple skylines, large freeways like Katy Freeway and HOT lanes and some of the rougher areas, it feels alittle like Los Angeles

It's not a spitting replica of either due to the quality of beaches, geography (mountains near Los Angeles) and I'm sure the demographics are also very different but I tend to get vibes of both of them due to the urban fabrics of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 12:49 PM

33 posts, read 29,461 times
I have fam in LA. My father imagrated from el salvador to LA In 1979. He decided to move east to Houston and met my mom. I was born. I travel to LA alot and LA feels like Houston in the diversity and "feel" obviously LA is busier then Houston but I always feel at home there. Miami I can't say, I've never been. Yes it's shocking lol but Miami never interested me. Houston is the LA of Texas. It's the most important city in tx. I hope i don't offend any north Texans lol but Houston is like no other in the USA. Like LA is like no other. If you grew up 8n LA like my cousins and come to Houston, you'll see the beauty of Houston. Because they are used to mountains and not so much greenery. And vice versa. That's why alot of Texans who grew up 8n Dallas or San Antonio or Austin sometimes talk down on Houston. Because they are used to the scenery.

Last edited by joseayala77; 07-02-2019 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: Misspelled

Old 07-02-2019, 01:16 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
I grew up in LA. Houston is like LA in that they’re both extremely diverse and they both sprawl to the extreme. That’s it.

Houston and Miami are both humid. They don’t remind me of each other at all otherwise.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:38 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseayala77 View Post
I have fam in LA. My father imagrated from el salvador to LA In 1979. He decided to move east to Houston and met my mom. I was born. I travel to LA alot and LA feels like Houston in the diversity and "feel" obviously LA is busier then Houston but I always feel at home there. Miami I can't say, I've never been. Yes it's shocking lol but Miami never interested me. Houston is the LA of Texas. It's the most important city in tx. I hope i don't offend any north Texans lol but Houston is like no other in the USA. Like LA is like no other. If you grew up 8n LA like my cousins and come to Houston, you'll see the beauty of Houston. Because they are used to mountains and not so much greenery. And vice versa. That's why alot of Texans who grew up 8n Dallas or San Antonio or Austin sometimes talk down on Houston. Because they are used to the scenery.
Oh Brother, talk about being a homer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I grew up in LA. Houston is like LA in that they’re both extremely diverse and they both sprawl to the extreme. That’s it.

Houston and Miami are both humid. They don’t remind me of each other at all otherwise.
Exactly... ppl want Houston to be somewhere else but Houston so bad that it’s quite comical. LA is LA and Miami is Miami. Houston is Houston.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:05 PM

1,011 posts, read 976,714 times
Lived in all 3. Other than sprawl and humidity respectively, not alike.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:20 PM

33 posts, read 29,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Oh Brother, talk about being a homer.

Exactly... ppl want Houston to be somewhere else but Houston so bad that it’s quite comical. LA is LA and Miami is Miami. Houston is Houston.
What's it to you? Does my opinion hurt u? Why do you hate me comparing Houston to one of the world's greatest cities? Did a houstonian hurt u? Stop hating. People can't handle Houston praise. Houston 8s Houston. You right. But it also has alot of similarities to LA. I'm sorry if my opinion hurts u.

Read this if u want, of course. https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...211-story.html

Last edited by joseayala77; 07-02-2019 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Add

Old 07-02-2019, 02:35 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
What's it to you? Does my opinion hurt u? Why do you hate me comparing Houston to one of the world's greatest cities? Did a houstonian hurt u? Stop hating. People can't handle Houston praise. Houston 8s Houston. You right. But it also has alot of similarities to LA. I'm sorry if my opinion hurts u.

Read this if u want, of course. https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...211-story.html
No one is offended by your opinion. No one is saying Houston has nothing in common at all with LA but no Houston does not remind me of LA. I spent 24 of my 36 years there and 5 in Houston and that’s where my opinion comes from.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:04 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I seem to get vibes of Miami in certain areas of Houston due to the palm trees, architecture, and freeways / access roads / Toll roads as well as the horizontal traffic lights which Miami has alot of. Then with the multiple skylines, large freeways like Katy Freeway and HOT lanes and some of the rougher areas, it feels alittle like Los Angeles

It's not a spitting replica of either due to the quality of beaches, geography (mountains near Los Angeles) and I'm sure the demographics are also very different but I tend to get vibes of both of them due to the urban fabrics of them.
Not in total. But there are certain areas where it feels kind of like LA and others where it feels kind of like parts of Miami, like the area south of downtown Miami, Brickell to Coconut Grove.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:05 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,226 times
More like the inland parts of Miami away from the Waterfront. Houston reminds me more of Tampa or Orlando if we’re comparing it to a Floridian city. Miami was built for leisure, Houston and Tampa have a more blue-collar/industrial appearance to them that feel very similar. Vegetation and terrain are relatively similar, but Houston has more oaks and magnolias than Tampa or Miami.

I used to live in Los Angeles and the only thing that Houston has in common are the wide freeways, massive interchanges, diverse cuisine, and cultural diversity. While those are major comparable elements, the two cities are still quite different. Houston moves at a slower pace, has a very different vibe and feel culturally, and Los Angeles is a lot more cosmopolitan than Houston, but Houston is no slouch in that department. LA is also a lot denser and far more walkable than anywhere in Houston as well. While the port is a major component in LA, it isn’t as defining of a factor as it is in Houston because Los Angeles/Southern California is such a vast region.

Houston has elements of both cities, but it’s very much its own thing, and making direct comparisons is somewhat difficult.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:46 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
More like the inland parts of Miami away from the Waterfront. Houston reminds me more of Tampa or Orlando if we’re comparing it to a Floridian city. Miami was built for leisure, Houston and Tampa have a more blue-collar/industrial appearance to them that feel very similar. Vegetation and terrain are relatively similar, but Houston has more oaks and magnolias than Tampa or Miami.

I used to live in Los Angeles and the only thing that Houston has in common are the wide freeways, massive interchanges, diverse cuisine, and cultural diversity. While those are major comparable elements, the two cities are still quite different. Houston moves at a slower pace, has a very different vibe and feel culturally, and Los Angeles is a lot more cosmopolitan than Houston, but Houston is no slouch in that department. LA is also a lot denser and far more walkable than anywhere in Houston as well. While the port is a major component in LA, it isn’t as defining of a factor as it is in Houston because Los Angeles/Southern California is such a vast region.

Houston has elements of both cities, but it’s very much its own thing, and making direct comparisons is somewhat difficult.
This I agree with. I've never been to Tampa but when I was in Orlando it definitely gave me more of a Houston vibe than Miami did. And the LA description is spot on as well.

Quote:

I praise Houston a lot. I have a lot of love for the city I've lived in for 10 years now. I just don't think it's that similar to LA and i'm quite annoyed at Houstonian's reaching with these city comparisons instead of embracing their own identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston