Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 02:36 PM

10 posts, read 6,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Before this sounds too much like suburb-bashing,
You are a actually burbs bashing, look at your past posts Why should one even listen to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 03:19 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hounomad View Post
You are a actually burbs bashing, look at your past posts Why should one even listen to you
If you'd like to weigh in on exactly how I'm wrong, by all means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke
-Suburban communities can appreciate significantly if they find themselves adjacent to major business districts, especially if they also offer great schools.
But without the schools, it doesn't matter what business district is next to it. Hello, Greenspoint.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:34 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,943,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Hello, Greenspoint.
Excuse me, but that would be the North Houston District. Please try to keep up.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:39 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Excuse me, but that would be the North Houston District. Please try to keep up.
In other news, I don't have Comcast cable anymore, it's Xfinity.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:07 PM

6 posts, read 5,511 times
We moved to Sugar Land last May when my husband retired from the Army. He’s from Houston. We’re a biracial (b/w) family and specially wanted Fort Bend County because of it’s diversity. We have lived in the DC Metro area, Hawaii, SE, and other places and we love learning about and being around multiple cultures. At first we looked at Missouri City but chose Sugar Land because of lower tax rates and the commute to our jobs is easy up Alr-90. We picked jobs relevant to our location and also wanted to be able to get to town easily.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:03 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,916,214 times
Regarding schools holding up home values in Sugar Land, I think it's more of a chicken/egg paradox.

Sugar Land was a bedroom community well into the 90s before the city began developing into a more self-contained city proper. Upper middle and upper class development did well in part due to the perception that FBISD schools were superior to their HISD and LCISD counterparts (and rightfully so, although I am convinced and forever will be that FBISD's success is a product of its affluent demographics, which in turn begets additional interest and investment from more affluent families and developers catering to those families.)

So, the question then becomes what came first? The Chicken (affluent families) or the Egg (High-performing schools)? As long as one exists, the other will thrive.

Back to the OP's question, while pride comes before the fall, short of a major economic downturn that results in businesses folding and homeowners foreclosing, I don't think Sugar Land will be declining any time soon. The only thing I do see is the beginning of a revitalization effort in the older parts of Sugar Land. Whether that means converting commercial areas to residential and/or vice versa, or the beginnings of razing lots and constructing condos on single family lots a la inside the loop, is anyone's guess, but the city of Sugar Land itself is interested in the continued curtailed/manicured growth and development of the city proper.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:57 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,219,218 times
Fort bend was well-rounded before sugar land really took off.

The “east end” which was basically Willowridge zone schools was a true middle class of African Americans who were educated and took pride in the area. The schools outperformed the Sugar Land side one year in math and lo and behold the rezoning of east end kids to Dulles and Elkins began which created the mess we have now.

As funny as it sound clements’ demographics was worse than Willowridge at one time as they took on all the rural kids from arcola and Fresno.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:00 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,094,264 times
This topic fascinates me as I have a small house inside the loop that I'm debating what to do with, while living in my parents' house in the Missouri City part of First Colony. It's a long story lol.

I'm actually trying to figure out how to convince HCAD that my land value is overstated as I recently unlisted the house due to not getting any offers I liked. I also know I can't rent my house out for a profit, but my wife and I like the suburban living and being so close to other families with kids. What we don't like is the commute.

I dunno what the answer is to the question, I don't even know what to do with my house near the med center. I'm just fascinated by the arguments posed here.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:08 PM

219 posts, read 226,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
This topic fascinates me as I have a small house inside the loop that I'm debating what to do with, while living in my parents' house in the Missouri City part of First Colony. It's a long story lol.

I'm actually trying to figure out how to convince HCAD that my land value is overstated as I recently unlisted the house due to not getting any offers I liked. I also know I can't rent my house out for a profit, but my wife and I like the suburban living and being so close to other families with kids. What we don't like is the commute.

I dunno what the answer is to the question, I don't even know what to do with my house near the med center. I'm just fascinated by the arguments posed here.
I may buy it. PM the address/listing.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:14 PM

1,896 posts, read 811,827 times
I think Sugar Land is well set for the future; it has a good employment base, it's got expanding higher education in UH, it's got good public schools, and it has good access to Houston's largest employment centers (downtown, galleria, TMC, and greenway).

Sugar Land like The Woodlands and Clear Lake have their own employment bases that don't make them utterly dependent on driving into Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston