Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 11:48 AM

226 posts, read 311,041 times

Advertisements

Just curious what C-D folks would consider the farthest out Houston 'burbs on the various freeways, before things start to feel rural. My freeway use is limited mostly to 10 and very occasionally 45 and 290. Here are my thoughts. Agree? Disagree? Thoughts on other outbound roads?

59 S: Rosenberg
10 W: Katy
10 E: Mont Belvieu?
45 S: League City?
45 N: Willis?
290: Cypress
249: ???
288: ???
59 N: ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 01:19 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,506,592 times
I've worked with people who commuted to Downtown from:
the West side of Sealy
Waller
Angleton
Galveston
Cleveland
Huntsville
Halletsville

Old 04-27-2019, 02:12 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,568,982 times
Prarie View is the furthest NW Houston suburb along 290 before you leave Greater Houston.

Old 04-27-2019, 02:44 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,273,096 times
I45 - League City has blown up in population, and if you happen upon one of the city Facebook pages or on a Nextdoor League City page you will see a lot of complaining about over development and overcrowding. It's spilling into Dickinson, too. You need to go past Texas City (and they are experiencing development now) before you feel rural. And then Galveston is right around the corner.

288 - Alvin. Just right outside the city limits is very rural. You can still find homes with lots of acreage. But that may change with the Grand Parkway expansion scheduled to go through Alvin.

I10 E - Mont Belvieu is growing. It's still not big yet, but it is growing quickly. They just landed a large HEB, and a few years ago they got the whole Super Wal-Mart/Cinema/shopping center thing. So Anahuac is probably the remaining rural place in that direction. Or Wallisville if you want to nitpick.

Old 04-27-2019, 02:54 PM

Wow, those are some commutes! But I wasn't wondering so much on where people who work in Houston are coming from as much as the feel of the place. When I've gone down to Galveston, once I got past League City, 45 starts to feel less like I'm in Houston, and Galveston has its own feel.

Same w/45 north. I know that eventually Huntsville will feel like part of Houston, but when I drove to and from Dallas a few weeks ago, to me Willis was where I started to feel like I was back home. Again, Huntsville felt like it's own town, for now.

I went to college in Louisiana 20+ years ago, and I always knew I was home when I saw the Chevron refinery in Baytown. "Only one more hour to go!" (Family was almost to Richmond). Last time I went, over 5 years ago, I could feel the burbs creeping out to the Mont Belview exit.

Old 04-27-2019, 04:14 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corridor Chick View Post
Wow, those are some commutes! But I wasn't wondering so much on where people who work in Houston are coming from as much as the feel of the place. When I've gone down to Galveston, once I got past League City, 45 starts to feel less like I'm in Houston, and Galveston has its own feel.

Same w/45 north. I know that eventually Huntsville will feel like part of Houston, but when I drove to and from Dallas a few weeks ago, to me Willis was where I started to feel like I was back home. Again, Huntsville felt like it's own town, for now.

I went to college in Louisiana 20+ years ago, and I always knew I was home when I saw the Chevron refinery in Baytown. "Only one more hour to go!" (Family was almost to Richmond). Last time I went, over 5 years ago, I could feel the burbs creeping out to the Mont Belview exit.
Assuming that's the one East of Hwy 146, that's technically a chemical plant, not a refinery...

Old 04-27-2019, 04:34 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,993,938 times
Willis is considered a suburb?

Old 04-27-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Well, I don't know what others think, but it was the first town that fabe me that feel.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:33 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,947,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Actually yes, Willis is now having large-scale suburban development - it will feel like continuous suburbia from the Houston city limits all the way through Willis. For now the Montgomery-Walker county line remains rural in feel, though - I haven't heard of any major planned developments there except one in New Waverly.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:29 AM

422 posts, read 542,989 times
Is Katy considered a Exurb or suburb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston