Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 09:11 PM

20 posts, read 33,820 times

Advertisements

Katy has way more traffic congestion problems than Houston does, it’s ridiculous. Going on Ih-10 west toward Katy there is way less traffic from Voss road to highway 6.

Outside of Highway 6 has so much more traffic than compared to inside the beltway.

Grand Parkway between Ih-10 and Westpark Tollroad has backups every single day no matter what time of day it is! I swear 99 has way more traffic problems than even 610 west loop!! Sugar Land doesn’t even have as much traffic as Katy. How do people living in Katy tolerate such a horrible commute? Are they really willing to sacrifice everything just for “good schools”?

There is never a smooth cruising ride on grand parkway in Cinco Ranch you always have to end up braking in traffic somewhere on 99. Driving in Katy is so annoying!

I really want to move to Energy Corridor I am getting fed up with the long Galleria to Katy commute and the annoying traffic. As if traffic on IH-10 wasn’t bad enough I have to end up dealing with traffic on Grand Parkway with all those suburban parents picking their kids up or taking them somewhere. Doesn’t any else living in Katy get annoyed by all this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 07:44 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasir View Post
Katy has way more traffic congestion problems than Houston does, it’s ridiculous. Going on Ih-10 west toward Katy there is way less traffic from Voss road to highway 6.

Outside of Highway 6 has so much more traffic than compared to inside the beltway.

Grand Parkway between Ih-10 and Westpark Tollroad has backups every single day no matter what time of day it is! I swear 99 has way more traffic problems than even 610 west loop!! Sugar Land doesn’t even have as much traffic as Katy. How do people living in Katy tolerate such a horrible commute? Are they really willing to sacrifice everything just for “good schools”?

There is never a smooth cruising ride on grand parkway in Cinco Ranch you always have to end up braking in traffic somewhere on 99. Driving in Katy is so annoying!

I really want to move to Energy Corridor I am getting fed up with the long Galleria to Katy commute and the annoying traffic. As if traffic on IH-10 wasn’t bad enough I have to end up dealing with traffic on Grand Parkway with all those suburban parents picking their kids up or taking them somewhere. Doesn’t any else living in Katy get annoyed by all this??
Look on the bright side, at least you don't live in the Woodlands!

Suburban traffic problems are an issue all over the country. It's the price you pay for a big house and good schools.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:56 AM

967 posts, read 2,610,628 times
I live in Katy, but I work in Katy. And my husband works west of Katy (on the way out of the city)

The Galleria is a brutal drive from Katy. I get it if you were already in Katy and your employer relocated/you changed jobs to the Galleria. Things like that happen. But if you moved to Katy with a job already in the Galleria, you pretty much should have expected this.

You asked how people in Katy tolerate such a horrible commute. The answer is, not all of us have such a horrible commute. Some of us happen to live closer to work than you do.

Have you looked into Metro park & Ride or ride shares? For example I have friends who ride share from the local Kroger/Target parking lots. You might enjoy one of those options as well.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:53 AM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Look on the bright side, at least you don't live in the Woodlands!

Suburban traffic problems are an issue all over the country. It's the price you pay for a big house and good schools.
The Woodlands is a rare, relatively well planned, Master "Planned" Community. They did a lot better job planning roads than Clear Lake City, Kingwood or First Colony. Nasa 1 (although its better now with the freeway), Kingwood Drive, Highway 6 and 1960 are all a mess even on weekends.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:47 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The Woodlands is a rare, relatively well planned, Master "Planned" Community. They did a lot better job planning roads than Clear Lake City, Kingwood or First Colony. Nasa 1 (although its better now with the freeway), Kingwood Drive, Highway 6 and 1960 are all a mess even on weekends.
Are you sure? I don't live up there, but nearly every time I've been there (primarily on the weekends) the traffic is terrible. I'll yield to those that live there but I've heard of it taking half an hour just to get to 45 from parts of the Woodlands during congested times. Doesn't sound like awesome planning to me.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:09 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Woodlands have outgrown its master plan community. I live here and can tell you it’s pretty bad considering the only way to get out of Woodlands is through 45. So any road leading to 45 is heavily congested especially during rush hour. It’s pretty bad on Saturdays too.

Quote:
Are you sure? I don't live up there, but nearly every time I've been there (primarily on the weekends) the traffic is terrible. I'll yield to those that live there but I've heard of it taking half an hour just to get to 45 from parts of the Woodlands during congested times. Doesn't sound like awesome planning to me.
Yeah it can if you live deeper in The Woodlands. To get anywhere out the city you have to eventually get on 45. Unless you take some back roads to drive through Spring/Klein and even that’s an adventure.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:25 AM
bu2

Quote:
It takes a long time to get to town, but its a long way to town. And it gets congested going north to Conroe. I think they just didn't anticipate people commuting in from the north. But within The Woodlands, it does pretty well. That is what the OP was talking about. They can't control I-45. Whereas in Kingwood, it takes forever if you are close to Lake Houston in the back part of the neighborhood. It can take a long time getting to I-45 from Middlebrook in Clear Lake City.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:28 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Woodlands have outgrown its master plan community. I live here and can tell you it’s pretty bad considering the only way to get out of Woodlands is through 45. So any road leading to 45 is heavily congested especially during rush hour. It’s pretty bad on Saturdays too.

Yeah it can if you live deeper in The Woodlands. To get anywhere out the city you have to eventually get on 45. Unless you take some back roads to drive through Spring/Klein and even that’s an adventure.
Is Kuykendahl an adventure now? There's also the Hardy Toll Road. And Riley-Fussell if things really get bad.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:43 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
I think most folks living in the outer suburbs know that traffic will be a huge part of their life. They're accepting of it, it just goes with the lifestyle. Including Saturday traffic, which can be just horrific, including on the surface thoroughfares.

Anyone who moves to the outer suburbs to "escape traffic" obviously has rocks in their head.

Most suburbs are designed to have traffic congestion at the earliest possible time in their development anyway, because they lack a fine-grained street grid so that residential areas can have "isolation". When traffic congestion is bad, things are just working as intended. If you live or work out there and this frustrates you, I don't see how you have a legitimate complaint.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:06 PM

455 posts, read 525,365 times
OP isn't even talking about the local roads in Katy. I don't know that they are any worse than elsewhere in Houston or other suburbs where there are busy intersections (well, obviously not based on some comments).

Hate to break it to you but that I-10 traffic ain't all Katy. Sure, move to the Energy Corridor and take I-10 from there. You'll have the same traffic, just not as far to drive. Grand Parkway is due for expansion in a couple years but until then, yup, it's a 2 lane road in both directions. But there are a number of ways to avoid it, if you must. And those suburban parents picking up their kids and taking them everywhere (what a menace!), I'm pretty sure they are avoiding 99 unless they need to get on it.

The lessons: 1) live close to your work if you want to avoid traffic; 2) this isn't a Katy-specific issue, so good luck finding something that works better for you.

Of course, #1 is easier said than done. But if you are looking for better schools and cheaper housing (vs in the loop more expensive housing and private school), see #2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston