Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 08:52 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,626,910 times

Advertisements

So me and my wife have narrowed our search down to a couple of areas to move in in Houston and we’re really eyeing this area of Richmond closes to 99 and Westpark tollway in the zip code of 77407. I don’t know too much about this area personally but I do know there’s an abundance of good schools/ affordable homes/safe/ family friendly and in close proximity to Houston. I was a little concerned though because a relative of mine stated to me to be cautious of where in Richmond your moving to because it’s known to flood. She couldn’t give me any specific areas of Richmond so I’m asking if anyone has had any experience with flooding in that part of Richmond? Also if you live in that zip code, how is it generally? Would you recommend the area for a young family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 09:06 AM

63 posts, read 55,099 times
That area is not in a convenient location, there are no highways in close proximity, you only have access to local roads and it takes forever to get anywhere. If your commuting into Houston you need to take toll roads every day. There’s a reason why Aliana is cheaper compared to Katy and Sugar Land.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaraa View Post
That area is not in a convenient location, there are no highways in close proximity, you only have access to local roads and it takes forever to get anywhere. If your commuting into Houston you need to take toll roads every day. There’s a reason why Aliana is cheaper compared to Katy and Sugar Land.
When we went looking out there, it took me 25 mins from there to get to the Galleria(avoiding the toll) and it was 30 mins from my job. I live in The Woodlands now and it takes me 40 mins to 45 depending on traffic to get to work everyday and I use the toll everyday to get to work. Also it would take me 45 mins to 50 mins to get to the Galleria from where I live now. I'm not interested in Katy or Sugar Land since it doesn't have necessarily what we're looking for.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
When we went looking out there, it took me 25 mins from there to get to the Galleria(avoiding the toll) and it was 30 mins from my job. I live in The Woodlands now and it takes me 40 mins to 45 depending on traffic to get to work everyday and I use the toll everyday to get to work. Also it would take me 45 mins to 50 mins to get to the Galleria from where I live now. I'm not interested in Katy or Sugar Land since it doesn't have necessarily what we're looking for.
And what time of day was it when you went from the Galleria to that area in Richmond within 25 minutes? Unless your driving aggressively it takes 35 minutes without any traffic to get from Post Oak/Westheimer intersection to Aliana. With rush hour it can take over an hour.

It takes 25-30 minutes from the much closer Energy Corridor to the Galleria in rush hour. Aliana is farther out and doesn’t have good road access.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:28 PM

509 posts, read 735,940 times
Quote:
That area is not in a convenient location, there are no highways in close proximity, you only have access to local roads and it takes forever to get anywhere.
The Grand Parkway and the Westpark Tollroad ARE HIGHWAYS. The OP literally posted that he's looking near the junction of TWO HIGHWAYS.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
And what time of day was it when you went from the Galleria to that area in Richmond within 25 minutes? Unless your driving aggressively it takes 35 minutes without any traffic to get from Post Oak/Westheimer intersection to Aliana. With rush hour it can take over an hour.

It takes 25-30 minutes from the much closer Energy Corridor to the Galleria in rush hour. Aliana is farther out and doesn’t have good road access.
Never did say we were looking in Aliana to begin with. We were closer to WPT and Clodine which still lies in the 77407 zip code. And from that area which is closer to West Houston it literally took us to the Galleria in 25 mins on a Sunday afternoon. I also drove to that area after work during rush hour( not Aliana) and it took me about 35 to 40 mins. Now on a Sunday coming from The Woodlands it’ll still take me about 35 to 45 mins to get to the Galleria and about 55 mins to an hour to get home during rush hour.

Commute is not any concern. Access to a major freeway to get to the city is not a major concern. I take 45 to get to anywhere now in Houston and hate it. I could use some relief of not having to use the freeways every time to go into the city.

My concern is flooding in that area not commute.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:07 PM

694 posts, read 836,600 times
Other than Mission Bend, which did have water in some houses, the area in 77407 area south of the Westpark, had mostly just street flooding in Harvey.

South of Beechnut, you would likley be OK, north of that, and especially north east corner, check locally.

I do not think they had much impact in the Tax Day Floods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sucaDVbz70

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdEtLiLOa8w

Old 08-20-2019, 02:08 PM

455 posts, read 525,740 times
Sorry, i don't have a specific answer for you, but i know Harvey flood maps have been posted before and maybe someone will chip in.

I know people in Bella Terra, just west of 99 from that zip, and they did not flood. Also, just north of Westpark from that zip is Canyon Gate and parts of Cinco that were in the flood plain, and they did get hit really badly. I don't think the section you are talking about is a problem, but i'd definitely see if you can dig up some flood maps.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugLandDAd View Post
Other than Mission Bend, which did have water in some houses, the area in 77407 area south of the Westpark, had mostly just street flooding in Harvey.

South of Beechnut, you would likley be OK, north of that, and especially north east corner, check locally.

I do not think they had much impact in the Tax Day Floods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sucaDVbz70

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdEtLiLOa8w
I know Harvey pretty much flooded areas that wasn't use to seeing that much flooding before so i'm not that concerned if the area flooded during Harvey. It's the regular down pours and other minor flood warnings that i'm more concern. But if this isn't a area that regularly experiences flooding except for maybe a once in a lifetime event like Harvey than cool. But thanks

Old 08-20-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
The Grand Parkway and the Westpark Tollroad ARE HIGHWAYS. The OP literally posted that he's looking near the junction of TWO HIGHWAYS.
No, they are TOLLWAYS.

FYI it’s called the Westpark TOLLWAY, not Tollroad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston