Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 02:54 PM

246 posts, read 895,425 times

Advertisements

I am currently using Spark energy as provider. The contract will end soon. I am considering to swicth to riverway power. That company is good at reputation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 08:59 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,123,018 times
Ha! my contract ends this week and I went with Riverway without knowing much about them. They have the lowest in my area at 12cents.
Is there really a difference who collects your money?

Old 04-15-2008, 07:05 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times
Many electric companies seem to be popping up overnight and have no reputation yet. This is scaring a lot of folks off into going with the more expensive companies they see on TV. I've been playing this game for awhile, taking risks and have never had a problem.

First thing, read the contract to make sure there aren't any below-minimum usage fees or other weasel words to drain your wallet. This is more common than you think. Then call the customer service line and see if you can actually reach someone quickly. Ask some BS questions about the service that are in the online FAQ and see if they answer correctly. Then sign up online. E-billing is usually cheaper (another thing that scares people off). If the electric company's website is ****, the company is likely also ****. If it's good, use a credit card, not your bank acct. Used that method multiple times and never had a problem.

The only problems I have had were with the meter readers.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:28 PM

50 posts, read 203,488 times
I too would like info on Riverway, as I signed up with Riverway for my house and my guest house. I gots rates of $.11 and $.118. (BTW, if you move you can break your contract with your high priced (TXU, Reliant) provider with no penalties.)

Old 04-15-2008, 01:36 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,447,652 times
Go with whoever's cheapest. They're all just front-end billing agencies. The actual electricity is still produced, delivered and serviced by the same people (Centerpoint). If you can lock in for 12 months at 11 cents, do it.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:07 PM

246 posts, read 895,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Go with whoever's cheapest. They're all just front-end billing agencies. The actual electricity is still produced, delivered and serviced by the same people (Centerpoint). If you can lock in for 12 months at 11 cents, do it.

I agree with you. Lock the price as low as possible, since I read the news that they are talking about the average fee for electricity will be increased. Just like oil price!!!

Old 04-15-2008, 02:16 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times
I see 11 cents is hard to come by nowadays. I signed up for this 11.0 rate not long ago through "National Power Co." From Mar/Apr '08-Mar/Apr '09. Rates haven't been that low since just before de-regulation started, but the catch was a $300 cancellation fee!!! I don't plan on going anywhere for at least through the end of 2010.

Spark was my biller last year and the cheapest at the time, but it appears that is no longer the case. Don't know what happened. I will say Spark is definitely reliable.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,151 times
Default DO NOT USE RiverWay Power

hey guys let me just tell you that this is a ripoff. On Feb 12, 2008 I signed up for Riverway Power at 10.5 for 12 months. First the customer service was horrible, then it took me 5 calls to confrim my credit. After about 15 days from the start of my contract they sent me an email saying that gas prices have gone up so they can't honor my contract and I have 45 days to find someone new or resign at 12.5. Now they don't answer their customer service line. I will be going to PUC TX for a complaint. I used spark last year and they are very reliable.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:52 AM

958 posts, read 2,574,920 times
I'd suggest checking out gexa energy. They been reliable and their customer service has improved greatly since I first switched 2 years ago.

According to Power to Choose they are cheaper than riverway power.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:58 AM

100 posts, read 386,820 times
We didn't know there are many companies supplying electricity...obviously we are new to the area :-( (where we came from, there's only one company for gas, for electric supply, water, etc)

So, is this the same for other utilities? (I know it's kind of dumb question!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston