Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 07:53 PM

9,965 posts, read 6,681,463 times

Advertisements

Last year, the iconic Sears in Midtown broke ground into becoming The Ion, and the first building in Rice University's planned Innovation District. That project isn't even finished (though its went far) and the second building is already announced, as the iconic Midtown Fiesta building will become a Greenworks Laboratory for green energy.

Good news both for the Innovation District and the future of Houston's biggest economic engine, in energy. I hope the iconic Shipley Donuts just southwest of the Ion will stay for a while. They seem to always have fresh glazed every time I stop there.

Here's Sears (left) which is currently transitioning into the Ion. And Fiesta (right), who will be home to the Greenworks Lab.

So far Rice University and City of Houston's collaborative effort into the innovation district have been successful. Hope this pace continues.

On a sad note, though, the homeless population of these particular blocks seemed to go away overnight. I wonder where they've been pushed to and pray for the best for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 08:15 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,299,040 times
Default Hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Last year, the iconic Sears in Midtown broke ground into becoming The Ion, and the first building in Rice University's planned Innovation District. That project isn't even finished (though its went far) and the second building is already announced, as the iconic Midtown Fiesta building will become a Greenworks Laboratory for green energy.

Good news both for the Innovation District and the future of Houston's biggest economic engine, in energy. I hope the iconic Shipley Donuts just southwest of the Ion will stay for a while. They seem to always have fresh glazed every time I stop there.

Here's Sears (left) which is currently transitioning into the Ion. And Fiesta (right), who will be home to the Greenworks Lab.

So far Rice University and City of Houston's collaborative effort into the innovation district have been successful. Hope this pace continues.

On a sad note, though, the homeless population of these particular blocks seemed to go away overnight. I wonder where they've been pushed to and pray for the best for them.
Sad? Is it a joyous occasion when the homeless are present?

Old 09-25-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Sure, it’s sad that they exist in the first place. But I’m definitely not happy for them for being kicked out of the area seemingly overnight.

Old 09-25-2020, 09:16 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,299,040 times
Default It was not overnight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Sure, it’s sad that they exist in the first place. But I’m definitely not happy for them for being kicked out of the area seemingly overnight.
'Not sure how long you've paid attention to that area, and the homelessness that has existed for years there, but there has been quite a bit of activity here on CD on it. Do some searches, if you don't recall the activity, you may be surprised.

I live 1.3 miles from there, according to Google. So, I am very familiar with the problems going all the way back to 2012, when I first moved to the area. I am almost certain, none of the people who live in the area are sad to see them gone.

Old 09-25-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
'Not sure how long you've paid attention to that area, and the homelessness that has existed for years there, but there has been quite a bit of activity here on CD on it. Do some searches, if you don't recall the activity, you may be surprised.

I live 1.3 miles from there, according to Google. So, I am very familiar with the problems going all the way back to 2012, when I first moved to the area. I am almost certain, none of the people who live in the area are sad to see them gone.
According to Apple Maps, I live 0.6 miles from the Ion. But I literally moved here less than a month ago so I wasn’t there to live in the area when it had the homeless problem to the degree it had before the construction began. However, I did see the area every now and then and saw them when I would pass by. But it wasn’t on the daily. Currently, I pass by the Ion almost every day to and from work. And I definitely see the difference from months ago, as you do.

I understand you feel differently, but I on the other hand do feel for the homeless and for them being kicked out over night. I’m not mad at you for feeling different than me, but there is nothing that’s going to make me thrilled to see homeless people get kicked out of an area where they previously relied on for comfort.

Old 09-25-2020, 11:49 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,229,811 times
Folks jumping for joy behind closed doors but now where did they disperse to? That’s the next questions

Old 09-26-2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Folks jumping for joy behind closed doors but now where did they disperse to? That’s the next questions
For real. Didn’t mean to turn this into a homeless debate. I’m happy for Rice U and Houston for the progress of the innovation district. But not going to deny the cost it comes with.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:48 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,254,831 times
Latest pic of the former Sears... {credit to Highrise Tower on HAIF}

Attached Thumbnails
Fiesta Midtown to get remodeled as part of Rice U's Innovation District.-hy38joq.jpg  

Old 09-26-2020, 02:59 PM

6,296 posts, read 7,524,525 times
Quote:
I guess it shows how different people can react to the same picture. But when I fist saw that pic of the Fiesta I saw 3 stray dogs that I was concerned about ....I really didn't think of that 1 guy crossing the street as potentially homeless...

Old 09-26-2020, 03:01 PM

6,296 posts, read 7,524,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Latest pic of the former Sears... {credit to Highrise Tower on HAIF}
Sweet progress....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston