Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 03:20 PM

44 posts, read 121,709 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a possible job offer in Houston. Made it through 3 interviews, and if hired, will start in February.

I've also never been to Houston. (I've been to Dallas.)

I was considering if getting an apartment close to work would be a good idea, to minimize the commute. The potential job is at the Texas Medical Center.

I'm a late-30s males, white, big lad, single, from the cow country parts of the NE. I'm a techie, a gamer and mostly hang out indoors, but I enjoy conveniences. I enjoy my Whataburger over most restaurant options. I'm not big on a "walkable" neighborhood.

I have no idea what the neighborhoods around the Medical Center are like, if it's worth looking an apartment there. I've heard the term "inside the loop" but I don't know what that means nor what the loop is.

To throw another wrench into this, I'm a single gay guy. At first glance, everyone would consider me a "bear" (the big hairy, lumberjack-looking kind of gay guy). I have considered the Montrose area hearing that's the hip "gay" part of the city but I don't know if that means anything significant in 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 04:50 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Very beautiful area. Very professional and lots of food and nightlife there. So much to do there. Access to many historic places, museums etc. I actually just got back from a jog on Herman Park myself. Access to metro rail if that’s your thing. Not to mention the areas is BOOMING. Personally, I wouldn’t think twice about it id take it.

Old 12-21-2020, 07:20 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
If you're not public-transit-averse, looking for a place near the light rail line (goes north-south through the TMC) or on bus line 2 / Bellaire Quickline (goes west on Bellaire) would be helpful. Parking for TMC employees is a hassle and expensive. There's also a fair number of folks who bike to work there (good trails adjacent) for the same reason, but you would get sweaty in the summer.

Montrose is a fun area for sure, still has some vestiges of gay life though hardly the center it once was due to gentrification. It has also gotten expensive. Pretty close to the TMC but not on the two transit lines I mentioned (though I guess you could walk from the eastern edge of Montrose to the light rail). There is a bus that goes down Montrose Boulevard to the TMC, less frequently than those other two lines.

You may not be looking for a walkable neighborhood, but many of the nice neighborhoods near the TMC are at least somewhat walkable anyway.

Old 12-22-2020, 06:32 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,229,885 times
Welcome to Houston! {maybe} I've lived in those areas for decades, and love them. I would look at Montrose first. Very close to the Medical Center (TMC). Plenty of apts in all price ranges. You'll be in an area where you can meet people if you want, or not. Entertain yourself or not. Plenty of places to eat, from fast food to international. Full of people who are welcoming, not judgemental.

Even the edges of Montrose would work. Doesn't have to be "Montrose proper".

PS: Houston is a very gay friendly city. We are one of the most diverse cities in the country, and don't really care if you're red, green, gay, straight, country, punk or big.

Old 12-22-2020, 07:16 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,180,565 times
Agree with previous posters. Montrose or the fringes of Montrose and the Museum District (the area near Rice University and the museums) are the best options. I lived in the Heights 20 years ago when I worked in the TMC, and that's fairly close as well, but as someone pointed out, if you can get to work via the rail line and not have to park down there, all the better.

For your reference, "inside the Loop" refers to the area inside Loop 610, which is a freeway system that encircles the city. If you look on a map, it's the innermost concentric circle, aka "loop", that you see. Once upon a time, it was the other loop around the city, now, it's one of 3 (well, 2.5).

Old 12-22-2020, 07:17 AM

44 posts, read 121,709 times
Thanks for the responses.

Things like info about the rail line I had no idea about. I am very public transit-friendly and would consider that.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:27 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,229,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elranzer View Post

Things like info about the rail line I had no idea about. I am very public transit-friendly and would consider that.
The one thing to be aware of (and I am NOT anti-transit), is the rail system doesn't always go where one wants to live. Montrose area is not directly served by rail, even though it's just a mile or so away. But inner-inner-city to TMC can be an easy commute, regardless of how you do it.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:56 AM

Going north from the TMC and Hermann Park along the light rail, you hit Museum Park first, which is a mostly residential area plus the major museums. It has a mix of older (as in pre-1960) apartments - probably with window units for A/C - and newer expensive housing. It is desirable, especially closer to Hermann Park. Most of the commercial activity and social scene focuses on the eastern edge of the neighborhood (Almeda Road) which is a popular social spot for the urban middle class / upscale African-American population.

The next area north, across US 59 / I-69 (you'll learn why it has a dual name), is Midtown. It is more mixed-use. In the last 20 years, it has gone from fairly scruffy (still is in a couple spots but that continues to recede) to a popular place to live and play for younger folks, especially folks in their 20s. The eastern side of Midtown is more sedate and residential, with a lot of newer townhomes, though some are a bit of a hike to the light rail. The northwestern part of Midtown has been one of Houston's main spots for early to mid-20s professionals to socialize and party for a couple decades now. You might feel a little mature for that area.

The next area north, across the "Pierce Elevated" I-45 freeway, is Downtown, which has added a great deal of residential units over the last 10 years, but doesn't sound like the kind of environment in which you're looking to live. It had become (pre-COVID) a really great area for socializing for folks in their late 20s to middle age, so you may still end up spending time there as things reopen.

All these areas are gay-friendly though obviously some establishments will be very focused on making bank off of mate-seeking hard-partying heteros in their 20s; I doubt you'd have reason to hang out in those places.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
The one thing to be aware of (and I am NOT anti-transit), is the rail system doesn't always go where one wants to live. Montrose area is not directly served by rail, even though it's just a mile or so away. But inner-inner-city to TMC can be an easy commute, regardless of how you do it.
Yeah, the commute isn't so much the issue as the parking.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:00 AM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elranzer View Post

As mentioned, transit is improving but still won’t get you everywhere you want it to. At all. But if you live somewhere along the rail (possibly TMC or Midtown if you want to be a bit further), then it would be a good way to get to work. While keeping a car will be essential for getting around recreationally. Just like anywhere in Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston