Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2023, 02:41 PM

226 posts, read 310,783 times

Advertisements

I live in the Energy Corridor and, for most of the time I've lived here, have commuted to Fort Bend County. Currently I work in the Mission Bend area. I've also worked in Sugar Land. Neither of these was a bad commute. Given the right circumstances, I'd consider working in Richmond itself (I know the name encompasses a large area, but I'm talking about the actual town.) I have to either start or end my day there a handful of times a year, and the commute doesn't seem bad. But I'm curious to hear from people who do it on a regular basis. Is it sustainable?

I briefly had a commute to the Sienna area, and that got to be soul-killing within the first couple of weeks. I'm wondering if the outbound commute is any better. (FWIW I grew up in FBC pre-2000, so I've watched and am familiar with its.growth.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2023, 06:54 AM

332 posts, read 260,998 times
I also live in the EC and have driven to the Richmond area several times, but not regularly commuted, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

If you currently work in Mission Bend, you are likely looking at doubling your commute time by going to Richmond. Whether or not that is a sustainable commute is very much a personal decision. I'd guess on average a one-way commute btw EC and Richmond would take 30-45 mins depending on traffic and assuming normal working hours - this is a pretty typical commute by Houston standards, but for some people would be unbearable (including myself - I specifically moved to the EC to be close to my office). However, if I'm reading your post correctly, the commute would not be 5 days a week, so that could make it much more do-able.

An additional consideration is that FBC is not slowing in growth anytime soon, so commute times/traffic are likely to get worse over the coming years.

Old 11-09-2023, 08:46 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
I guess it all depends on how you feel about driving 1464. It's only going to have more lights and more traffic over time.

Maybe SH 6 / US 90 is a viable alternative?

Old 11-12-2023, 04:54 PM

226 posts, read 310,783 times
Thanks for the replies. These are all things I am aware of, though. For some context, I lived in the Pecan Grove area and worked in First Colony until about 15 years ago, when I started a job in Spring Branch. Not the Memorial area many on this forum refer to as Spring Branch, but the ungentrified middle of the triangle. I moved to the EC because apartments there were newer and safer than that area and still affordable. I kept my Fort Bend doctors for many more years, though, and then changed jobs back to FB. So I've driven between the EC and Richmond many times over the years. I've watched the growth happen. And to PP suggesting 1464, I have used that but actually prefer Grand Mission/Harlem to get to 90.

This is not something I'm imminently considering, but if the right opportunity comes along that didn't include my current one night a week and one weekend a month, if consider it. The reason for this post was I was hoping to hear from someone who might do this commute on a regular basis to find out what it's like daily, especially in the afternoons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston