Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 01:16 PM

7 posts, read 21,983 times

Advertisements

I'm a native Californian and the only thing I can provide for my family is generic brands, Payless Shoes, and I can barely pay rent. I'm a County of LA employee (good benefits, but lousy pay). My budget is tight, so I can't save any money and I'm a single parent. Ah, but there is light at the end of the tunnel....I met my soul mate who has been a great part of my life for the past 2 years. We are engaged to be married in March.....then we plan to move to Texas. I have no idea what I'm in for. I hate roaches. I want a healthier place for our family. I want to get away from the high crime rate in Whittier (yes Whittier has drive-by shooting, gangs, killings, thieves, and a lousy school district). What am I in for???? My daughter is 15 and reluctant to leave what she has known all her life - Whittier. What am I in for??? Any advice??? The area we are planning to move to, in Texas, is the Tomball area. What am I in for???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 5,515 times
Default Reply to moving to Tx, so are we, but we have family there already!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope41day View Post
I'm a native Californian and the only thing I can provide for my family is generic brands, Payless Shoes, and I can barely pay rent. I'm a County of LA employee (good benefits, but lousy pay). My budget is tight, so I can't save any money and I'm a single parent. Ah, but there is light at the end of the tunnel....I met my soul mate who has been a great part of my life for the past 2 years. We are engaged to be married in March.....then we plan to move to Texas. I have no idea what I'm in for. I hate roaches. I want a healthier place for our family. I want to get away from the high crime rate in Whittier (yes Whittier has drive-by shooting, gangs, killings, thieves, and a lousy school district). What am I in for???? My daughter is 15 and reluctant to leave what she has known all her life - Whittier. What am I in for??? Any advice??? The area we are planning to move to, in Texas, is the Tomball area. What am I in for???
OK, first, the property taxes seem high. But, there is no sales tax on food, and no state income tax. So, if you figure that into it, then the property tax thing is not as bad. Crime, hmm, you do not want to live within the Houston city then. There are some decent place to live there, tho. The Spring Branch area has the best schools, because a lot of the folks that live there pay a high tax rate to the ISD (school district). A lot depends on where in Tx you are going. We have found the Montgomery county has the lower property taxes, and the most resonable home/property prices also. So, Conroe, Willis, Magnolia, are some areas to look at. Taxes on your property can be upwards of 5 to 6,ooo/year in some areas. It all depends on the school district taxes, MUD taxes, and a couple of others!! We have seen taxes between $1000 and 3,000 up in Montgomery county, which is North of Houston. Hope that helps some. stargazers, moving to TX this year.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:28 AM

61 posts, read 351,460 times
THE WEATHER: HOT and HIGH HUMIDITY from April to October

Old 01-22-2007, 07:11 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,226,515 times
You're in for missing California, but then again, it isn't the same as when I left it 28 years ago. You may be glad to pull out. I still long for the days like it used to be in Burbank. It is extremely hot in Houston and combined with the humidity, it may take you a while to adjust if ever. You know, one just never knows for sure until he or she gives it a try. You might love it, and I hope you do.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:13 PM

8 posts, read 28,068 times
I moved to Houston in 1995 from Seattle and it took a long time to adjust. I do like it now, however. Tomball is quite a ways out there - I would say Tomball is almost rural, definitely so in parts.

Though in Tomball you wont worry about crime. However, I've lived in the the city for awhile and never had a crime problem myself, but known others who have been mugged, car broken into, etc. I've never known anyone who has had issues with very violent crime though it does exist. In Houston, there was a report that overall crime has decreased. I dont know what the story is Tomball but I assume it's pretty sleepy.

Yes, the heat and humidity are intense and take awhile to get used to. Cost of living in general I assume is lower in comparison to CA. Housing in Houston is pretty cheap, IMO.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:47 PM

23,018 posts, read 34,390,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonman View Post
THE WEATHER: HOT and HIGH HUMIDITY from April to October
I agree with this expect I think it's more from March to November and some days from January to December

Old 01-28-2007, 04:01 PM

9 posts, read 42,194 times
Congrats on your engagement! We moved here 5 years ago from Colorado (similar situation, newly married and I had two boys 12 &13 from a previous marriage). The most difficult thing for us to get used to was the conservative views of the "locals" - but that seems to be changing. The second thing was the bugs, and we learned real quick that you MUST have your house sprayed by a professional exterminator every 3-4 months (around 60 bucks each time) - then no problem and you will not have bugs (well, except for the mesquitos). Your daughter will adjust and she won't be the only new kid on the block - lots of people come and go all the time (she may now even be able to have the latest brand name shoes) My family lives in So.CA and I can tell you that the people here are much friendlier, far more polite, and helpful. Cost of living is less and the wages are a bit higher, in fact you will be surprised by the number of mom's that stay home and don't have to work (and still drive new cars). I live in The Woodlands, but I do know that Tomball is a nice area, it's safe, clean, good schools, nice big houses. It can get hot and humid, but everywhere is air conditioned. The trade off of the weather is well worth the quality of life you will gain. Of course you are going to have a hard time adjusting since you have lived all your life in CA, but you'll be fine. Here's a website on Tomball: http://www.tomball.com/

Old 02-01-2007, 08:23 PM

7 posts, read 21,983 times
Thank you for your words of encouragement. Our main concern is my daughter adjusting. I could live in a box or in a hole, but if my daughter is unhappy I know that would break my heart. How did your children adjust? There will be much for her to adapt to....new step-dad, new step-brother, not being near her familiar life, new suroundings, and letting go of all the familiar things she has connected with. I agree that overall she will be much better off and I do look forward to being a stay home mom. At 15 her life is her circle of friends and I'm eager and excited yet feeling torn between the two...Californai and Texas......any suggestions to help my reluctant daughter adapt?

Old 02-01-2007, 08:42 PM

147 posts, read 241,237 times
[quote=Cathleen;314129]The most difficult thing for us to get used to was the conservative views of the "locals" - but that seems to be changing."

We provide a nice state to live in, but then we get criticized for having conservative views. No mention that maybe the conservative views provided the "people here are much friendlier, far more polite, and helpful."

Old 02-01-2007, 08:58 PM

66 posts, read 369,232 times
I grew up in Texas. It was awesome. I would move back if I could. You can't beat the school systems there. They are top notch. And yes, everyone is much friendlier. You'll be suprised at how much people wave at you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston