Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2008, 06:29 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations for a good local lawn service. I'm not talking about the weekly mowing, edging, and sweeping. I mean lawn analysis, overseeding, fertilizing, and weed control.

I have heard about Scotts and TruGreen but both (esp. Scotts) have tons of negative reviews on the internet about poor customer service, billing problems, clueless technicians, and lousy performance results. I would prefer a local "little guy" who knows how to identify and correct problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 09:03 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
I would go to Teas or Cornelius Nurseries and ask them who they recommend.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:15 PM

332 posts, read 1,323,717 times
After battling brown patch last year with expensive self-applied fungicides with no good results (recommended by a nursery), I gave in to trying TruGreen.

A year later, I honestly do have the best looking lawn in the neighborhood. Half of my neighbors didn't stay on top of the cinch bugs during the latest hot spell, and they have large dead areas to show for it. My lawn is thick and green, thatch in control, no diseases, no bugs killling it off. It's not a cheap service (and my lot is close to an acre), but it is worth it to me. The test will be if this rainy weather lasts for an extended period and we start to see the fungal diseases like last year... but TruGreen already applied something during their latest treatment to stay ahead of this.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:53 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,956 times
I don't believe in diseases killing grass and causing brown patches. its grass. the small brown patches i got this year were caused by not providing enough water - i literally see withered patches come back to life as soon as I water them but when i forgot to check on them during consecutive hot days a small section died. I believe this section of the ground drains faster than the others. One other small brown patch I have is an effect of cutting the grass too short. Basically some lawn clippings collect under the leaves and overtime you'll end up cutting the root system of whatever was growing in that elevated patch.
a few months later theyre all green and alive, no dead patches thanks to cloudiness. even my neighbor with a 100% dead brown yard has some type of grass growing now LOL

Old 08-21-2008, 11:58 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
''Brown patch'' is caused by fungus that starts multiplying this time of year. When the first 'shrooms of late summer start popping up (or when my dog's allergies flare up) it's time to start applying the anti-fungal granules. Fung-away works fine for me.

In the spring & early summer, the generic Bonus S (29-3-4) from Wal-Mart + a lot of water works great, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston