Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:55 AM

10 posts, read 37,492 times

Advertisements

After we got our latest property tax bill, we've had it with NJ. No way should we be paying more than $10k for what we have/get.

So we've decided to move and have Houston (Katy) in our sights since we do have family there.

But, still trying to figure out how the job market is there for IT support personnel. Not the basic level phone support but more the hands on desktop and network guys.

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 11:37 AM

469 posts, read 1,484,850 times
Most of the layoffs in the Metro area to this point are in IT departments. But, I still see a number of help wanted ads for IT personal. Just note that you will have alot of competition for these positions.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:39 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,512 times
We have and opening for an AD position now. There are jobs to be had.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:36 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,596,005 times
Have you tried a temp agency?

Old 10-21-2008, 06:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,828 times
Default sick of nj, too!

my hubby and i are also thinking of moving to texas sooner or later. does anyone know how the programming and other aspects of computer science job market is? my hubby can do IT, software development, database development, photoshop anything and everything, web design etc. basically, if it involves a comptuer, he can do it and then some. are those job markets also stiff in competition? do some employers sometimes judge those outside of tx or "yankees"? lol...i know it's a silly question, but worth asking for us i think. thanks!

Old 10-21-2008, 08:53 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xolomommy View Post
my hubby and i are also thinking of moving to texas sooner or later. does anyone know how the programming and other aspects of computer science job market is? my hubby can do IT, software development, database development, photoshop anything and everything, web design etc. basically, if it involves a comptuer, he can do it and then some. are those job markets also stiff in competition? do some employers sometimes judge those outside of tx or "yankees"? lol...i know it's a silly question, but worth asking for us i think. thanks!
we just hired an indian guy from NJ. all our open positions are filled at this point. I know Shell Energy trading is still hiring. I think Citi and CSFB as well. Personally I think its better to be hired from NYC then request a transfer if possible

Old 10-21-2008, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,828 times
thanks! we'll see in the next year or few months. i don't think he'd try NYC first and then try to transfer since i'm really not OK with him going in there everyday (i almost lost my dad and sadly lost other family members/friends in sept. 11).

thanks for the names of companies that may be hiring. definitely something we should look into!

Old 10-22-2008, 07:05 AM

10 posts, read 37,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
Have you tried a temp agency?
I'm not that close to moving yet. I'm just trying to get a feeling on how the market is as we weigh our options.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:10 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,596,005 times
The IT sector is always doing great due to new technology evolving every few months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yblfd View Post
I'm not that close to moving yet. I'm just trying to get a feeling on how the market is as we weigh our options.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:02 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,436,288 times
After the IT job bubble and burst, it seems that since most companies keep tight control of their IT spending now, they don't over hire near as much as they used to. So there isn't as much fat at a lot of companies for IT, so they don't lay off like they used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston