Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2007, 10:36 PM

246 posts, read 649,417 times

Advertisements

We're a family of four (two kids - 7 1/2 yrs and 18 months) and we're relocating to the Freeport area.

Which cities would be close enough for my husband to commute to Surfside Beach?

Need info on a great family friendly city, with decent shopping, schools, churches, parks, etc.

Extra info such as biking, golf, gymnastics, etc. would be great.

Where are the nicer, safer neighborhoods? What is the average home going for in that area (rent or buy)?? Is there any area or city in that we just shouldn't waste our time looking?

How far are these areas from Houston and its bigger outer-lying areas?

If you could tell us anything about any city or area in that vacinity, that would help us get an idea or feel for where we'll soon live, we'd appreciate it, greatly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 09:58 AM

13 posts, read 92,920 times
I would try Lake Jackson, Alvin, Angleton...maybe even Manvel or Pearland. What is the maximum commute time your husband wants? I grew up in Brazoria County...I'm now in real estate and this area is really growing. There are some very affordable, nice neighborhoods in all of those communities. I'd live in any of them myself...although I do have my favorites. :-) I'm not sure what kind of information I can post here, but there are some web sites that would definitely help you in your search. Brazoria County is a great place to live...Pearland/Alvin/Manvel are more convenient to Houston and all that it has to offer than Angleton or Lake Jackson, but they're nice...just further from the city. You'll want to know which flood zone you're in...nothing to be worried about, but something you need to be aware of. You may already know that. The average home price per square foot really depends on the size home you're looking for. $75.00/sq. ft. is probably median...but you can find some for less and there are definitely some that are more expensive than that. It just depends on the type of house and what neighborhood amenities you'd like to have. I think you'll like Brazoria County though. Welcome! :-)

Old 03-22-2007, 11:40 AM

246 posts, read 649,417 times
Smile Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarchand View Post
I would try Lake Jackson, Alvin, Angleton...maybe even Manvel or Pearland. What is the maximum commute time your husband wants? I grew up in Brazoria County...I'm now in real estate and this area is really growing. There are some very affordable, nice neighborhoods in all of those communities. I'd live in any of them myself...although I do have my favorites. :-) I'm not sure what kind of information I can post here, but there are some web sites that would definitely help you in your search. Brazoria County is a great place to live...Pearland/Alvin/Manvel are more convenient to Houston and all that it has to offer than Angleton or Lake Jackson, but they're nice...just further from the city. You'll want to know which flood zone you're in...nothing to be worried about, but something you need to be aware of. You may already know that. The average home price per square foot really depends on the size home you're looking for. $75.00/sq. ft. is probably median...but you can find some for less and there are definitely some that are more expensive than that. It just depends on the type of house and what neighborhood amenities you'd like to have. I think you'll like Brazoria County though. Welcome! :-)
Thanks so much for your info. Hadn't thought about Flood zones - thanks a bunch for that one!

I've heard Pearland is great, but seems to be too far for my hubby. We'd like to be only about 30 minutes or less to Surfside beach (at times he may be on call and need to respond with in so much time). I know bigger cities have much more to offer, but it seems Lake JAckson has a decent amount of options.

We found out that we'll only be there two years, so we'll probably have to rent. Where is the best place to find info on rentals in the area? Is it better to go with private classifieds or a Realtor?

Thanks for your time and for the welcome!

Old 03-29-2007, 06:41 PM

6 posts, read 50,331 times
Look at Danbury, Good schools you will need before you know it.

http://www.danbury.isd.esc4.net/ (broken link)

Their is a small rural subdivision about two miles south of town that is about 20 minutes for Freeport. Nice subdivision and nice community.

Moderator cut: website

Good luck.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 03-29-2007 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: Advertising.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:32 PM

You're welcome! Danbury is nice....rural. Lake Jackson is a very nice town...easy access to Hwy 288 and Freeport.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:35 PM

I would try both listed and unlisted rentals. Sometimes owners would prefer to handle their rental property themselves, so there might be some that you wouldn't find on MLS. Sometimes dealing with the owner directly is great....sometimes it's nice to have the middle-person in between. :-) I'd look at both.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:08 PM

321 posts, read 1,440,737 times
Thumbs up Lake Jackson/Freeport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GausJAMS View Post
We're a family of four (two kids - 7 1/2 yrs and 18 months) and we're relocating to the Freeport area.

Which cities would be close enough for my husband to commute to Surfside Beach?

Need info on a great family friendly city, with decent shopping, schools, churches, parks, etc.

Extra info such as biking, golf, gymnastics, etc. would be great.

Where are the nicer, safer neighborhoods? What is the average home going for in that area (rent or buy)?? Is there any area or city in that we just shouldn't waste our time looking?

How far are these areas from Houston and its bigger outer-lying areas?

If you could tell us anything about any city or area in that vacinity, that would help us get an idea or feel for where we'll soon live, we'd appreciate it, greatly!
My best friend grew up in Lake Jackson. Lake Jackson and Freeport are both near Surfside.. Surfside is a great surfing area for us Gulf coast surfers... Bingo Boards is world famous and has his shops there...

Dow is the major employer in Lake Jackson... I would say its about one hour or so away from Houston... Also they are the access to divers for Flower Gardens and Stetson banks.. awesome diving... I think you would like Lake Jackson.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 7,889 times
Freeport is 1.3 miles off the beach. We are within the area of the Dow Pumps that control flooding. It's take about 5 minutes to reach Surfside Beach. I don't think anyone has suggested you look at The Facts (our local paper). It covers Brazoria county including a classified section for rentals/home purchase.
You can also look at http://www.city-data.com/city/Freeport-Texas.html for info on Freeport (or any city). This site will also give info on how far other citites are, where hospitals, etc are located.

Houston is about 45 minutes from us. It can take a lot more time because of traffic, but it is usually 45 minutes.

Lake Jackson offers much more than the other cities and is nicer, but your taxes are of course higher and price of home is also.

Good Luck

Old 06-03-2007, 06:27 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
I just came from Lake Jackson and I was very impressed--it is much nicer than I thought and a LOT nicer than Angleton, West Columbia, etc... nicely groomed, organized, mall nearby, just seems to have more going for it than the other towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston