Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 03:09 PM

181 posts, read 849,462 times

Advertisements

First let me say I love Houston and this is NOT a "bash Houston" thread. If you came here to do that, sorry find somewhere else to bash. Similarly if you cannot handle constructive criticism of your city, then this thread isn't for you.

So to the theory....look at all th major complaints people have about Houston. I base these off of what people who have visited me here in the city have told me, complaints on this forum, and my own family/friends here and what they have to say. The complaints are

1) it's a boring city. Yes, there is stuff to do here but by big city standards I don't think anyone can argue Houston has it "going on" like NYC, LA, Miami, SF, Chicago, Minneaplis, etc. Those places are known for being vibrant and exciting.

2. Lack of city planning. No need to go into that

3. Extremely conservative suburbs. I have friends from Philly who moved to pearland and were disheartened by some of the close-minded and hateful rhetoric their kids were exposed to at school.

4. Horrid pblic transit options.

I won't go into why I think lack of education in the citizenry is the cause for some of this .... I just wanted to throw this idea out there and get some feedback. Any data available on how educated our metro is compared to other areas?

Last edited by Bo; 10-29-2009 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: Moved from Texas forum.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:20 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Lack of education, huh. I'm sure 20% of the ''undocumented'' population in Houston proper has nothing to do with it.

BTW #3 - close minded hate isn't just limited to conservatives. IMO the worst examples come from the extreme left.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:58 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Univ of Houston is growing by leaps and bounds every year. Their trying to become a Tier one school and has the financial backing of the city and the state to do so.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:14 PM

249 posts, read 561,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Univ of Houston is growing by leaps and bounds every year. Their trying to become a Tier one school and has the financial backing of the city and the state to do so.
No offense to UofH, because it's a fine option for a lot of people, but tier 1 isn't happening. Even UT is barely tier 1.

I actually don't think lack of education is the problem. Sure, most HISD schools aren't great, but I don't think they're any worse than the SDs of most other major cities. Probably better than some. The biggest problem is the lack of planning early on (and lack of zoning currently), which led to incredible sprawl and several different business districts that are disconnected from each other. That makes things like public transportation very difficult, which leads to a "car culture" here that is worse than even LA. When everyone takes cars everywhere, there doesn't have to be centralized locations for things like nightlife, arts, etc. That then takes away from the "vibrancy" of the city, making visitors think it's "boring".

Conservative suburbs are what they are. Luckily I have the option to avoid them.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:18 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
Houston is home to 5 universities not including those w/ a presence in the Medical Center. It also has at least 3 pretty good community college programs in the area and is within a 2 hour drive to an additional 5 universities. It would be kind of hard to say folks don't at least have a chance at an education. As far as I know, most of those same universities are growing their attendance quite well.

I also agree w/ Tstone. Just because folks do things a little different, it does not follow that they are uneducated or acting from ignorance. It might pay to go back and study some history to figure out why things are the way they are.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:31 PM

81 posts, read 230,596 times
I had no idea Minneapolis was vibrant and exciting. I've been there, I guess I just missed the vibrancy. I'm also surprised to learn that everyone is so well educated in LA and Miami.

Also, it seems like this is exactly a "bash houston" thread.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:45 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
I won't go into why I think lack of education in the citizenry is the cause for some of this
Why not expound on the only point you seem to have here?

Old 10-29-2009, 04:45 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
Do I detect the faint smell of arrogance in the air---nah, probably just the day old tuna salad.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:47 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Lack of education, huh. I'm sure 20% of the ''undocumented'' population in Houston proper has nothing to do with it.

BTW #3 - close minded hate isn't just limited to conservatives. IMO the worst examples come from the extreme left.

Thanks. +1.

UT is barely tier1? Okay...

But the OP is right with saying " Similarly if you cannot handle constructive criticism of your city, then this thread isn't for you." I think Houstonians can have a decent discussion without attacking each other. Maybe this time.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:53 PM

13 posts, read 19,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Thanks. +1.

I think when he said extreme left, he might be referring to people who are like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston