Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 02:18 PM

91 posts, read 280,381 times

Advertisements

Hi All

Lifelong MA resident ready to leave the winters BEHIND. I won't be moving for at least a year but wanted to start narrowing down areas to think about moving to.

Here's what I'm looking for:

Good Schools (have an elementary school child)
Housing budget - would love to come under $100k if possible
I don't want a new home, something older that needs work is fine.

Safe neighborhood - I realize crime happens everywhere and I've lived in bad areas in and around Boston so I'm pretty savvy - but now that I'm a mom, I'd prefer a *safer* neighborhood.

Since I have no job lined up, I know this is kind of a wide open request but I was hoping someone could at least point me to areas that they recommend to start looking or areas to avoid at all costs.

Thanks!
Ann
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 05:34 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
1. Texas is not a job mecca, thigns are pretty bad around here too. Remember we have bunches of illegal aliens to take the jobs that do not require degrees, so you pretty much need a degree to get a job. You will absolutely need a job before you come here.
2. Houston is a huge city, it can take Boston and its burbs and swallow it whole at least 3 times. Houston does not have the best public transit system in the world (far from it). You will need to have a job and a car before deciding where to live or it could make life quite difficult when you find you must commute 1+ hrs a day to get to work (without leaving Houston or its suburbs).
3. It will be very hard to find a house under $100K in a nice neighborhood w/ access to good schools. Even decent houses in Aldine (undesirable area) are going for that much. You might find one in the way out burbs if you get lucky but then we are back to a job and the commute. Keep in mind most burbs don't have access to easy public transport.

I'm not trying to be rude or mean, just trying to interject a little reality into the scene. If you really want to come to Texas and particularly Houston, come and be welcomed. Just know that the going will not necessarily be easy and hard times have hit everyone.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:49 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times
It is really hard to give advice without knowing the general area you would be working...Houston is really spread out. At that price point you if you want reasonably good schools you will most likely be looking at the burbs and a fixer or at least outdated home. What were your expectations regarding square footage?

Old 11-14-2009, 06:37 PM

144 posts, read 594,882 times
I moved from Haverhill Ma a little over a year ago, really like it down here. What are you currently doing for work, and what field would you be looking to work in. In Houston you really need to live near were you work. 100k would probally get you a fixer upper in the burgs, but usually better schools in the burbs.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:00 AM

118 posts, read 340,346 times
Much will depend on where you get a job, but one area that seems to fit your criteria is the Williamsburg subdivisions in Katy, it's close to old Katy, and assigned to good schools.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:30 AM

91 posts, read 280,381 times
Thanks everyone. I am just pipe dreaming right now. I do not want a huge house, something less than 1400 sq feet. The bigger it is, the more expensive it is to keep it cool.

I'm planning a visit to the area early next year to see what it's like. I may just come at the height of summer to really experience it. We have humidity here in MA but I bet it's nothing like the Houston area...

Old 11-15-2009, 11:48 AM

144 posts, read 594,882 times
Yes the heat and humidity is bad, but not too horrible. Katy would be nice and Spring would not be bad either.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:32 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Here's a website to begin pricing homes.

Houston Area Realtors

Click on find a home - then click on Single Family, or whatever you are looking for.

Fort Bend ISD is good - but watch your drive times to work if you are not in SW section.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:08 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
100k will put you way the heck out, on the fringes of way the heck out.

Or..somewhere you really don't want to be.

Now you could get a older townhouse in some of the better area IN town, IN the good school districts but you will be giving up a lot of square footage.

You may want to rent a moderate townhouse in a good district in the city to start. Just so you get a feel for the place. But I agree, you better have a job lined up before you come. Things are only going to get worse everywhere for a while.

You can pick up over qualified people for very little pay these days.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:29 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinsMom View Post
Thanks everyone. I am just pipe dreaming right now. I do not want a huge house, something less than 1400 sq feet. The bigger it is, the more expensive it is to keep it cool.

I'm planning a visit to the area early next year to see what it's like. I may just come at the height of summer to really experience it. We have humidity here in MA but I bet it's nothing like the Houston area...
I just moved to Boston from Houston last summer. I've found the humidity here is like the humidity there, only there's more of it. Houston humidity begins much earlier in the day and there's more heat to go with it. It doesn't cool off in the evening like it does in MA either. And you have about five months or so of it there instead of two or so like here. If you think July and August in MA are uncomfortable, you will DIE in Houston until you acclimate, if ever. On the bright side, there's plenty of sun and days are longer year-round in Houston! It doesn't get dark at 4 pm in the fall like here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston