Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 05:54 PM

948 posts, read 3,357,468 times

Advertisements

This is not to be inflamatory, but to clear the air. What ever happened to the art of conversation? Surely, this board isn't meant as a press release merely to promote the beauty of Houston? Dialogue that resorts to name calling only gives the appearance that the name caller lacks the sophistication to carry on simple conversation.

Surely, simple discourse that I presented shouldn't have brought on the onslaught on negativity that it did. I say join a worthy cause and make your anger work for you.

Meanwhile, here's some clarification:

I've lived in a lot of different cities and have moved around no less than 15 times. Stopped counting after that. I'm currently in the east coast. My current city scores high for walkability and has a decent recycling program. You won't find fast food chains near my house, you have to drive at least a mile to the first one and the others are off the highway north of me. No one mentioned it, but didn't I read somewhere that Houston has the most overweight people in the country? Sadly, some posters balked at my noticing how many fast food chains existed and others defended their right to exist.

Water bottles--You can buy re-usable metal (non toxic) bottles for your water so you're not buying plastic bottles. They are common around here. I have one for each of my children and they use them at sports practice and they save money and avoid the plastic recycling issue altogether and save money.

The issue I have with the sheer quantity of plastic bottles is the number that will end up in the dump. I think nationally, those bottles are only recycled maybe 15 percent of the time. By volume, I can't help but wonder how much Houston contributes to that. Like I said, people in Houston were buying the water by the case in mass numbers similar to when I was in Florida evacuating due to an incoming hurricaine.

In coming to my point of view, I did go outside of Sugarland, but can't remember where it was as the driving took forever. I honestly didn't mind the heat or humidity. I like it much better than the dry heat of Arizona. That place felt like a hair dryer in your face each day and was too hard on the skin and hair. So, I loved your weather. Didn't mind the bugs. Got used to those in Florida. That's all and goodnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 06:25 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,242,017 times
Sounds like a cry for help. Honey one night with me around town and your hate for the city will dissipate like a vague dream.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:36 PM

958 posts, read 2,574,920 times
It is a free country (for now), we here do as we wish same as you.

I do not necessarily disagree with anything you, but it sounds like you want to remove choices from people. Who decides what we as a people want to do?

For cities that rate highly in your list. What is their cost of living? How high are the taxes? How is the climate when compared to Houston. Demographics?

Don't like it here? You can live any where you want. it is your choice.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:47 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,830,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
This is not to be inflamatory, but to clear the air. What ever happened to the art of conversation?
Well, think of it like this: You walk into someone's home and say, "Not to be inflammatory but I love the art of conversation so let me tell you all the ways in which your home sucks." See why that might make people a bit defensive?

Old 05-11-2010, 07:28 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,677,792 times
Quote:
This is not to be inflamatory, but to clear the air. What ever happened to the art of conversation? Surely, this board isn't meant as a press release merely to promote the beauty of Houston? Dialogue that resorts to name calling only gives the appearance that the name caller lacks the sophistication to carry on simple conversation.

Surely, simple discourse that I presented shouldn't have brought on the onslaught on negativity that it did. I say join a worthy cause and make your anger work for you.

I've lived in a lot of different cities and have moved around no less than 15 times. Stopped counting after that. I'm currently in the east coast. My current city scores high for walkability and has a decent recycling program. You won't find fast food chains near my house, you have to drive at least a mile to the first one and the others are off the highway north of me. No one mentioned it, but didn't I read somewhere that Houston has the most overweight people in the country? Sadly, some posters balked at my noticing how many fast food chains existed and others defended their right to exist.

Water bottles--You can buy re-usable metal (non toxic) bottles for your water so you're not buying plastic bottles. They are common around here. I have one for each of my children and they use them at sports practice and they save money and avoid the plastic recycling issue altogether and save money.

The issue I have with the sheer quantity of plastic bottles is the number that will end up in the dump. I think nationally, those bottles are only recycled maybe 15 percent of the time. By volume, I can't help but wonder how much Houston contributes to that. Like I said, people in Houston were buying the water by the case in mass numbers similar to when I was in Florida evacuating due to an incoming hurricaine.

In coming to my point of view, I did go outside of Sugarland, but can't remember where it was as the driving took forever. I honestly didn't mind the heat or humidity. I like it much better than the dry heat of Arizona. That place felt like a hair dryer in your face each day and was too hard on the skin and hair. So, I loved your weather. Didn't mind the bugs. Got used to those in Florida. That's all and goodnight.
Using a re-usable metal water bottle is a brave and courageous act. Ma'am, you and your children are heroes as far as I am concerned, and I feel nothing in my life will ever match the contribution to humanity you have shared with us today. You are a role model for us all and I applaud you. Houston will never be worthy.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:57 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times
Happy trails.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:14 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Using a re-usable metal water bottle is a brave and courageous act. Ma'am, you and your children are heroes as far as I am concerned, and I feel nothing in my life will ever match the contribution to humanity you have shared with us today. You are a role model for us all and I applaud you. Houston will never be worthy.
Just make sure you buy the REAL thing - the SIGG, Kleen Kanteen or Camelbak bottle and not some cheap version Made in China.
Are Sigg Aluminum Bottles BPA Free? : TreeHugger

Old 05-11-2010, 08:48 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,058,371 times
Quote:

Haha, it's cool. You just didn't have the experience you could have wanted/hoped for.

My parents themselves buy water bottles but not because the tap water is bad, but because they like to carry it with them when they travel. It has nothing to do with our tap water situation. I actually find our tap water to be the same as Chicago's. (I'm from there) Which means it's perfectly fine.

The side walk issue, you have to understand every city is built for a different purpose. Houston is a more residential and business type of city. You can't be expect Hollywood, Walt Disney, or Concrete Jungles here, it's simply a different environment here. And besides I live in Sugar Land, and the side walks are just fine here.
Please get back to me about the area you stayed in and what you meant about the sidewalk issue. I haven't ever noticed anything wrong with that before.

One thing I can say I hate is the traffic in Sugar Land, on highway 6 it gets insane sometimes...

You have to remember, Houston is a Green City, but in a different respect. Every city tends to be different, most cities in Texas operate the same way as Houston as far as recycling goes and all. The recycling system here is fine as well. It's not like it's bad, but it's not that astonishing either.

You have to try to understand, fast food restaurants here are owned by private owners who buy franchises of them in the areas. It's not like the company itself goes like "lets put this here at this location, right next to everyone else", it doesn't work like that.

And no, Houston is not the fattest city in America right now, it hasn't been since I was in 4th grade, which was 9 years ago! So where ever you heard that from, it's very outdated information.

Haha, remember, if you want to talk about your experience that's perfectly cool. People won't take to offense your experience and viewpoints, but the title of your threads really do insult people a lot. Remember, a persons home is a place they value close to their hearts, and ordinarily a title for a thread like the one you have often emotionally plays with a persons feelings.

It's just a misconception that you had earlier with the locals from Houston.

Anyways, best of luck at where ever you are, and hope you have a better trip next time you're down in Houston!

Good Night!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:27 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,273,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Well, think of it like this: You walk into someone's home and say, "Not to be inflammatory but I love the art of conversation so let me tell you all the ways in which your home sucks." See why that might make people a bit defensive?
I was thinking the exact same thing (except I was thinking backyard instead of house). To the OP - you are in our forum backyard, and Houston residents make the rules here. A little common courtesy goes a long way. It's obvious you are not from Texas.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:29 PM

611 posts, read 2,235,384 times
THIS is why I am PROUD to call Houston the city of my birth

we drive people like this out of town to other places where their residents can suffer them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston