Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:16 AM

37 posts, read 128,185 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I periodically check my electric meter so I can keep an eye on my usage/bill. Last months bill reading matched what I had gotten when I checked myself. My new bill came, so I went outside to see if the numbers seemed okay. My meter is reading at around 5000 right now and the bill says around 6000, and that reading was taken almost 2 weeks ago. I'm going to have them come out and re-read, but just to make sure I wanted a second opinion on if I am reading my meter correctly so I've attached a picture of my read from today. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Incorrect meter read?-dscn1224-1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 09:25 AM

847 posts, read 1,752,559 times
i'm reading it as, 05717.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:34 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,177,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adstaples View Post
Hello,
I periodically check my electric meter so I can keep an eye on my usage/bill. Last months bill reading matched what I had gotten when I checked myself. My new bill came, so I went outside to see if the numbers seemed okay. My meter is reading at around 5000 right now and the bill says around 6000, and that reading was taken almost 2 weeks ago. I'm going to have them come out and re-read, but just to make sure I wanted a second opinion on if I am reading my meter correctly so I've attached a picture of my read from today. Thanks.
You sure they actually read it? We get 2 or 3 "guesstimates" per year and they make up for it with the next "eyeball" read.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 05-17-2010, 09:54 AM

Thanks Bluelion & Ronnie,

On my bill they usually put 'estimate' or 'actual', this one said 'actual', which I know may still not be the case, but most of the time I am actually home and I see the guy check it.

I was getting 05707 as of today. And it should be even lower on my bill, my cycle date was on 04/24/10 and they put 06041. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy and that all my energy efficientness is paying off! Hopefully I won't get a hassle from the guy when he comes out to re-read... ugh.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:17 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,277,243 times
Default It all evens out

You might be surprised to learn that the company allows "average" readings! We've experienced the same thing, but when we called, they said that the meter was not read at some point in the past, and that bills that followed were averaged (aka guessed), and that eventually the meter was read exactly, and we were playing catchup. Or maybe my wife spoke to a lazy person at the electric company.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:05 AM

258 posts, read 954,978 times
Let us know what they say after the reread. I just got a note saying Centerpoint installed new meters, and it actually displays my kWh like a digital clock, no dials. The note said they can read the meter remotely. I just hope the data doesn't get corrupted and show up as 5000 kWh instead of my usual 500kWh.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:18 AM

I will definitely keep you guys posted. I heard about the new meters, my area isn't scheduled to get them until 2012, but let me know how that goes as well please.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:36 PM

44 posts, read 189,772 times
I read it as 05707.

reading right to left:
little past 7,
Not quite to the 1,
little past 7,
almost to 6
about half way to the 1

If they billed you as if it read 6000, then you will pay more for this month, and possibly less for next month. The meter gives a running total of usage, so in the long run it will all even out when a true / actual reading is made. It sounds like you had a lazy meter reader.

I am in a new house in Cypress and the provider just drives around in a truck, never getting out. The meter sends the reading to the truck as it drives by. Mine still has dials and the big spinning wheel.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:05 PM

Teald024, yes, you're right, now if I'm really good and my new bill doesn't reach the current read of 6041, what do you think would happen then?

No payment due sounds great...

Old 05-17-2010, 01:09 PM

847 posts, read 1,752,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Or maybe my wife spoke to a lazy person at the electric company.
a lazy person? never!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teald024 View Post
I read it as 05707.

reading right to left:
little past 7,
Not quite to the 1,
little past 7,
almost to 6
about half way to the 1

If they billed you as if it read 6000, then you will pay more for this month, and possibly less for next month. The meter gives a running total of usage, so in the long run it will all even out when a true / actual reading is made. It sounds like you had a lazy meter reader.

I am in a new house in Cypress and the provider just drives around in a truck, never getting out. The meter sends the reading to the truck as it drives by. Mine still has dials and the big spinning wheel.

there are OMR meters out there still that allows the meter reader to read the meter remotely (from their truck). the new meters are AMS meters and those are read and operated remotely (centerpoint energy office)

but yes, it's very true that meter readers sometime "guesstimate" the readings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: