Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 08:14 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,886,146 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this has already been posted or not, but I would like to move back to Houston in a couple of years. When I lived there years ago, I didn't like it, but there have been so many changes for the better that I find it to be quite the exciting place (diversity, good food, architecture, greenery, and friendliness).

Anyway, I will have $200K in cash to spend (in today's dollars) on a home. I'd really like to have a detached type home, as condos can be so noisy. I also would like to live in a community of mature adults, not young partiers, or families with young kids. Nothing against them, but I've already been there, done that and it's not for me any more. If there were a Sun City Houston, that would be perfect. If not, are there any communities developed just for older adults?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 08:47 PM

316 posts, read 784,544 times
My Mother in law lives in the new part of League City, Tuscan Lakes 55+ - I think she bought her detached 55+ home brand new in 2008 for 185k --I will attach the link --http://www.newhomesource.com/communitydetail/builder-123/community-33060

Not sure where you live now - but aside from being 20 miles south of Downtown, it's really very nice..close to UTMB, KROEGER, Retail Shopping, Banks, very safe and 10 min from the water -

Old 06-04-2010, 08:50 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
There are 55 Plus communities like Heritage Grand in Cinco.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:11 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
The Villages at Tuscan Lakes in League City and Bella Vita in Pearland. Most are priced at 200+

Old 06-05-2010, 09:30 AM

Thanks everyone! I'll check these out. I'd really rather live in the city proper (inner loop) as I'm not much of a suburban person. But price is going to be the determining factor, which is why I'll probably end up in the burbs.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:55 AM

Inner Loop under $200K, a townhouse might work - usually much lower monthly maintenance fees than condos, less noisy also. Inner Loop townhome residents do include a lot of young professionals, but they tend to move into a house when they have children.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Inner Loop under $200K, a townhouse might work - usually much lower monthly maintenance fees than condos, less noisy also. Inner Loop townhome residents do include a lot of young professionals, but they tend to move into a house when they have children.
What's the difference between a condo and townhome? My impression has been that the many dozens of new complexes in the inner loop are condos. They look great but it looks like they could get pretty noisy with all the people crowded together like in apartments.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
What's the difference between a condo and townhome? My impression has been that the many dozens of new complexes in the inner loop are condos. They look great but it looks like they could get pretty noisy with all the people crowded together like in apartments.
Part of the difference is financial. With a townhome, you own the ground under your home, and usually you are responsible for your own roof, etc. (not always - some cover more stuff than others). Hence the lower monthly maintenance. With a condo, you own the space within your home and portion of all of the grounds. Maintenance fees are much higher - because they cover a lot more.

Another option is Oak Forest - stay east of TC Jester. Older homes built in the 50's and getting more expensive as I write this. Just north of the Timbergrove Manor subdivision of similiar homes, but now Timbergrove is way over $200K. Made up of young professionals and people who actually raised their kids there in the 50's and 60's. Again, the young professionals tend to move once baby Tow comes along, for the burbs. There are some small children there, but not tons. Nice community with nice people.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Part of the difference is financial. With a townhome, you own the ground under your home, and usually you are responsible for your own roof, etc. (not always - some cover more stuff than others). Hence the lower monthly maintenance. With a condo, you own the space within your home and portion of all of the grounds. Maintenance fees are much higher - because they cover a lot more.

Another option is Oak Forest - stay east of TC Jester. Older homes built in the 50's and getting more expensive as I write this. Just north of the Timbergrove Manor subdivision of similiar homes, but now Timbergrove is way over $200K. Made up of young professionals and people who actually raised their kids there in the 50's and 60's. Again, the young professionals tend to move once baby Tow comes along, for the burbs. There are some small children there, but not tons. Nice community with nice people.
I've seen parts of Timbergrove and was really astounded at how beautiful the neighborhood is. Regarding Oak Forest, when I was born that's where we lived (on Saxon).

Lots of options, definitely. I like how those 55+ communities look (thanks to everyone who provided links), but they're so far out of Houston it concerns me. I don't have make any decisions for probably a couple of years. The prices will probably continue to go up, but so will the value of my home in central Austin, so I should still be able to get a fairly nice place when I move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston