Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:33 AM

19 posts, read 28,439 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

So, my wife and I put our house on the market about 2 months ago, and have not been getting much foot traffic. We're located in Lanier Lakes, and we've contracted a new home to be built in another neighborhood with a contingency contract.

We received some pretty devastating news this weekend: Adams has decided to drop the prices on all their floorplans in our neighborhood by $20k+. This has eliminated the chance of us getting anywhere near our asking house for our home. There are many other houses for sale in this neighborhood in the same situation.

If we drop our price enough to be competitive with the new Adams prices, we're not going to be able to put 20% on the new house. We can afford the payments if we have to finance 90% instead of 80%, but PMI is a game changer. We just can't make that work.

Short of just walking away from the new house and looking for something else, I'm looking for options.

Does anyone know if Adams has done this before and if it might be short-term? Or are we looking at prices being that low for a year+?

Are there mortgage brokers that will do a 90% LTV without PMI? I have a very good credit score (~770).

Anything in local news that might suggest that the market has any hope of a recovery in the near (6-month) future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 01:32 PM

355 posts, read 964,370 times
Bummer. Looking at that neighborhood it looks like a 8% price cut.

To be honest, I think this real estate market is unprecedented (especially in the real depressed areas). Not sure you will get any answers other than wild ass guesses.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:03 PM

482 posts, read 991,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Limestone Dude View Post
Not sure you will get any answers other than wild ass guesses.
That's the foundation of real estate

Old 07-05-2010, 02:15 PM

956 posts, read 2,501,812 times
Yes, Adams has started lowering their prices...they had to compete with Breland. I don't suspect this will be short term, but as stated above, I'd be guessing. Adams was the only game in town for quite some time, but now they have competition...they had loads of inventory on the ground and needed to get rid of it. For new homes, they had to meet the competitors prices, or they would never make it. Same product basically and buyers know that. My personal opinion is that this will be permanent, as long as they have competition.

Have your Realtor recommend a good lender. There are a few that may still do no PMI with 90% LTV.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:25 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,969,243 times
Do you want to take a loss selling an existing home just to get into another one? Not sure what the driving needs you have, but I would wait a few years. I think the Huntsville real estate "boom" with BRAC is over and now we have overbuilt inventory with very few buyers.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Do you want to take a loss selling an existing home just to get into another one? Not sure what the driving needs you have, but I would wait a few years. I think the Huntsville real estate "boom" with BRAC is over and now we have overbuilt inventory with very few buyers.
Selling at a loss may be what it comes to. We need to move before my older child starts school, so the longest we can wait is 14-15 months.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:49 PM

296 posts, read 694,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZKing View Post
Selling at a loss may be what it comes to. We need to move before my older child starts school, so the longest we can wait is 14-15 months.
There aren't schools in your current neighborhood? Why take a loss on a house and go through hassle of moving just because of which school your child will attend for elementary school?

I am probably just naive. There are plenty of reasons to sell a home and move to a new home but just switching schools does not seem like a good one to me.

Marc

Old 07-05-2010, 02:50 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,269,312 times
Unfortunately, you are having to compete with both Adams and Breland out there. Typically a buyer will pay 10-15% more for a new house than a resale. Both builders are also throwing out lots of "goodies" such as granite in those homes.
Lanier Lakes is going to be a rough resale anyways with the amount of inventory out there, new construction with AL Heritage right next door (lots more amenities and better builder in my opinion, getting ready to open up about 120 more lots in Stonegate), and the issues that Providence schools have had recently. The schools are affecting sales...I have had several buyers in the past year that would not even consider a home zoned for Providence.

There are still some 80/10/10 loans out there with piggy back mortgages, but they are extremely hard to come by. When running the numbers, it has actually come out better for the buyers I have had that put less than 20% to go ahead and take the PMI, but you need a lender to look at your individual circumstance and future plans. Usually credit score must be at least 720, so you are good there.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc45002 View Post
There aren't schools in your current neighborhood? Why take a loss on a house and go through hassle of moving just because of which school your child will attend for elementary school?

I am probably just naive. There are plenty of reasons to sell a home and move to a new home but just switching schools does not seem like a good one to me.

Marc
There are a lot of great schools in the Huntsville/Madison area. We're going to move so that we can be zoned for one of those. Losing 10-20k on a house isn't much compared to the cost of putting two kids through private school.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Unfortunately, you are having to compete with both Adams and Breland out there. Typically a buyer will pay 10-15% more for a new house than a resale. Both builders are also throwing out lots of "goodies" such as granite in those homes.
Lanier Lakes is going to be a rough resale anyways with the amount of inventory out there, new construction with AL Heritage right next door (lots more amenities and better builder in my opinion, getting ready to open up about 120 more lots in Stonegate), and the issues that Providence schools have had recently. The schools are affecting sales...I have had several buyers in the past year that would not even consider a home zoned for Providence.

There are still some 80/10/10 loans out there with piggy back mortgages, but they are extremely hard to come by. When running the numbers, it has actually come out better for the buyers I have had that put less than 20% to go ahead and take the PMI, but you need a lender to look at your individual circumstance and future plans. Usually credit score must be at least 720, so you are good there.
When we originally built, we had every intention of staying until the neighborhood was built up. The house fits our needs and we like the neighborhood. Because of Providence, however, we don't consider that to be an option anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area