Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 10:23 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,197 times

Advertisements

I just looked at the August Planning Commission meeting minutes and the magnitude of all the planned development & its impact on West Madison just hit me.

Just off Burgreen Rd alone you have:

-Burgreen Place (quite a few finished and a lot of them are sold already, or the lots are sold) high $200's
-Bakers Farm - new Breland community just started building; prices are $300 + up
-West Haven - Valor Homes & Breland, not sure about prices
-Cambridge West - directly west of JCHS; Stoneridge (same builder as Burgreen Place & Cambridge) $300s+
-Burgreen FARM - Mungo development corner of Powell & Burgreen (where all the smoke has been coming from) Not sure about prices
-Hilltop Ridge - this is a new one I haven't heard about. It's West of burgreen in between Burgreen Place & West Haven. Says it will have 61 lots

Further south off Hardiman Rd there will be Greenbrier HILLS (not to be confused with Greenbrier Woods off Powell). 95 acres that is South & west of Oxford neighborhood and North of Olde Cobblestone. Not sure who is building here or prices, but Im pretty sure Joe & Charlie Murphy are part of the mix.

On Segers Rd, across from Stillwater Cove, Woodland is planning a new neighborhood. Prices will probably start mid $300's.

Oh, and that doesn't even take into account the "Providence West" that's planned for Browns Ferry Rd. Good grief!!!!! We're going to need MAJOR road improvements in this part of town!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 10:42 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,206,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
I just looked at the August Planning Commission meeting minutes and the magnitude of all the planned development & its impact on West Madison just hit me.

I predict some developers are going to be left with a lot of unsold lots. Are any of those homes in the Valor neighborhood even sold? I just can't get over how they shoehorned those houses in on the lots...

Also, if this growth continues, Madison will likely have to look at adding a police station on the west side of town.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:44 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,263,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post

-Burgreen Place (quite a few finished and a lot of them are sold already, or the lots are sold) high $200's
-Bakers Farm - new Breland community just started building; prices are $300 + up
-West Haven - Valor Homes & Breland, not sure about prices
-Cambridge West - directly west of JCHS; Stoneridge (same builder as Burgreen Place & Cambridge) $300s+
-Burgreen FARM - Mungo development corner of Powell & Burgreen (where all the smoke has been coming from) Not sure about prices
-Hilltop Ridge - this is a new one I haven't heard about. It's West of burgreen in between Burgreen Place & West Haven. Says it will have 61 lots

Further south off Hardiman Rd there will be Greenbrier HILLS (not to be confused with Greenbrier Woods off Powell). 95 acres that is South & west of Oxford neighborhood and North of Olde Cobblestone. Not sure who is building here or prices, but Im pretty sure Joe & Charlie Murphy are part of the mix.

On Segers Rd, across from Stillwater Cove, Woodland is planning a new neighborhood. Prices will probably start mid $300's.

Oh, and that doesn't even take into account the "Providence West" that's planned for Browns Ferry Rd. Good grief!!!!! We're going to need MAJOR road improvements in this part of town!!!
Stoneridge also has a new neighborhood coming off Segars and I believe Savvy has a new neighborhood in that area coming as well, but I don't know much else about it.

Pretty sure Greenbriar Hills is Murphy Homes, which is Charlie Murphy.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:24 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,955,310 times
The NEW Metropolis.....

Old 09-09-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
I predict some developers are going to be left with a lot of unsold lots. Are any of those homes in the Valor neighborhood even sold? I just can't get over how they shoehorned those houses in on the lots...

Also, if this growth continues, Madison will likely have to look at adding a police station on the west side of town.
I'm afraid you might be right. Some of these neighborhoods won't be successful. Then Breland/DR Horton will come in and buy the lots for cheap and fill them up with the same non-descript houses they build in every other subdivision.

I assume one of the houses under construction in West Haven (Valor) is a model home. I doubt anything would sell without a model for review.

Speaking of model homes & selling...has anything sold yet in Applewood at the corner of Balch & Gillespie? I see a model home & a few specs in there, but can't tell if anything has sold.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:35 AM

121 posts, read 152,438 times
That is a lot of new construction. It is quite discouraging to see. As a homeowner trying to sell a newer preowned home, we are struggling to compete against all of this building in the area. Builders are offering enough incentives that our lookers go for the new construction more often than not even when they won't receive the quality and amenities we have in our home. Right now our value has gone down at least 10% in four years because of this. It will be interesting to see when "enough is enough".

Old 09-09-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhall85917 View Post
That is a lot of new construction. It is quite discouraging to see. As a homeowner trying to sell a newer preowned home, we are struggling to compete against all of this building in the area. Builders are offering enough incentives that our lookers go for the new construction more often than not even when they won't receive the quality and amenities we have in our home. Right now our value has gone down at least 10% in four years because of this. It will be interesting to see when "enough is enough".
I"m right there with ya. We just listed our house Sunday. (We need more room for our family.) Current house is 7 yrs old. We've updated everything needed to make it as comparable to "new" as possible. One thing going for us is price. There isn't much available at our price point in the JCHS school district without going down in sq footage & lot size. But with Breland throwing all sorts of incentives, it's tough to compete! (closing costs, refrigerator, fence, etc.)

Good luck to you!!! We will need it!

Old 09-09-2014, 11:50 AM

ps...the "good" news is that a lot of these developments are months (or years?) away from being in full swing. Land has to be cleared, utilities run, roads put in, etc etc. etc. So selling a preowned home now isn't as bad as it's going to be in 12-24 months.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:48 PM

375 posts, read 513,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post

I would tend to agree as I don't believe there's enough demand to meet that kind of housing supply especially if you throw in the Providence-like development a little further west. The other issue that immediately comes to mind will be the strain on the existing roads in that area. I can't imagine the headaches that will arise in the traffic with a few hundred additional houses off of Burgreen and Brown's Ferry.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grumpy View Post
I would tend to agree as I don't believe there's enough demand to meet that kind of housing supply especially if you throw in the Providence-like development a little further west. The other issue that immediately comes to mind will be the strain on the existing roads in that area. I can't imagine the headaches that will arise in the traffic with a few hundred additional houses off of Burgreen and Brown's Ferry.
Traffic will be a nightmare, and to combine topics....what will the cyclists do who love to ride along shoulder-less Burgreen and Browns Ferry Rd???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area