Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 11:07 AM

956 posts, read 745,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Belly View Post
I must say, with the recent events of BLM. It is time to really take a look at our country. I am voting for Hillary because she understnads the BLM plight and will bring us to a better tomorrow.
It's because of her and her party that blacks are where they are at now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 12:25 PM

583 posts, read 827,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Belly View Post
I must say, with the recent events of BLM. It is time to really take a look at our country. I am voting for Hillary because she understnads the BLM plight and will bring us to a better tomorrow.
Feel free to start with democratically-controlled areas like Chicago and they're exorbitant black-on-black murder rate. Then we can see how much "BLM" really matters to you. My bet: doesn't fit the agenda; won't get discussed. Typical of race baiters and the democrats (and their idiots) in general.

If you think that ***** and her represent any form of an answer, it must be a really, really stupid question.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:46 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
It's because of her and her party that blacks are where they are at now.
You mean like the party that elected the first Black President?

The other party has descended in to racist bigotry and has nominated a billionaire "Birther".

Old 09-12-2016, 12:03 AM

57 posts, read 65,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon_dax View Post
I've personally enjoyed a better climate with regards to race relations in Huntsville better than anywhere else I've been. That said, when I moved to South Huntsville I finally found out where Huntsville was keeping its near 60% white population. The place I lived the first 3 years I was here was entirely black. Additionally, when I told people where I lived they commonly gave me a sympathetic look and informed me that I was living in a bad neighborhood. One time I was even told "well that explains a lot" when a person with a rather negative opinion of me found out that the Sparkman Wal-Mart was "my Wal-Mart". Where I lived on the North side of town was easily the safest, cleanest, and overall best place I've ever lived.

It has always been hard for me to understand how all of the houses between North and South Huntsville were generally built at the same time, but over time have come to house distinctly different demographics of people. When people talk about buying a home whether it be on these Forums or in conversation, North Huntsville is always regarded as a no-fly zone. There are definitely reasons to not buy a home in North Huntsville, but personal security is - in my experience - typically the number one reason offered. I always wonder if part of the perception about North Huntsville has more to do with the color of its residents rather than the actual safety of living there. Yes, I know that most of the violent crimes that occur in Huntsville are on its North side. But they are almost always related to illicit drug trade, and there are still really nice neighborhoods that are never part of such dealings.

This self-imposed segregation of people can only contribute to problems in the future. I always wonder if I made a socially responsible decision when I decided to buy my home on the South side. But then, for the sake of the investment of my money and my children's education, this was the right decision for me. There is a systemic fault that aids in these decisions in addition to my suspicions of racism. I know that school district rezoning has a strong opposition on this board, but I've been wondering if that could possibly help.

With regards to your post, raj, I enjoyed it and agree with you. My post would lean more your way if you hadn't already covered those things I felt should be brought to the table. My favorite part is this:

The redeeming quality that Huntsville has is the opportunity that it provides for people of any racial or class background. I have found that in this town one only needs to work hard to live a life that is better than what your father had.

I know someone I know was robbed by a group of 8 people for cigarettes at the Citgo on Oakwood and Pulaski the other day.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:42 AM

445 posts, read 771,003 times
I sincerely hope this does not come across as "racist"

In my many years in Huntsville I (as a caucasian) have enjoyed good race relations with black folks.

I try to get along with people, and by and large, people try to get along with me

Old 09-12-2016, 08:03 AM

57 posts, read 65,522 times
I live in the wierdest neighborhood ever off clubview drive. Although the area isn't "really" bad, it has it's share of problems and is in an area which is considered to be in the hood. It's about 60% black, 30% white and 10% Hispanic or Other. The thing that's so odd about this area is that you can see old people taking walks with their dogs like you'd see in nice neighborhoods, then the next minute someone might try to sell you dope or you'll hear gunshots at night, strange place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area