Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:42 PM

45 posts, read 92,802 times

Advertisements

Saw this article earlier today regarding options to bring "new energy" to the mall.

Madison Square Mall owner weighing options to bring 'new energy' to shopping center (updated) | al.com

Some options are to continue as an enclosed mall, do a partial tear down to create a more open atmosphere or something along the lines of mixed use (retail, office space, extended hotel). Within the article is the link to the "Save Madison Square Mall" Facebook page which has some interesting old pictures and a video documenting the opening ceremony. Losing Belk will hurt and I don't know who they could get to take its place. The outside has an outdated look to it and the interior, while okay, has empty stores scattered about the place. The food court isn't much to write about either. I'm trending toward demolishing the entire place and starting anew.

On a side note from the same article, the restaurant Kettle n' Spouts, which won that Food Network competition and got free rent for a year at the food court just recently closed. I remember first seeing the place and not knowing what type of restaurant it was. Thought about eating there once I found out some info on it but that won't happen now. Maybe three months of operation? How bad is it that with a year of free rent the place closes so soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 07:03 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,281,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntsvilleJT View Post
Saw this article earlier today regarding options to bring "new energy" to the mall.

Madison Square Mall owner weighing options to bring 'new energy' to shopping center (updated) | al.com

Some options are to continue as an enclosed mall, do a partial tear down to create a more open atmosphere or something along the lines of mixed use (retail, office space, extended hotel). Within the article is the link to the "Save Madison Square Mall" Facebook page which has some interesting old pictures and a video documenting the opening ceremony. Losing Belk will hurt and I don't know who they could get to take its place. The outside has an outdated look to it and the interior, while okay, has empty stores scattered about the place. The food court isn't much to write about either. I'm trending toward demolishing the entire place and starting anew.

On a side note from the same article, the restaurant Kettle n' Spouts, which won that Food Network competition and got free rent for a year at the food court just recently closed. I remember first seeing the place and not knowing what type of restaurant it was. Thought about eating there once I found out some info on it but that won't happen now. Maybe three months of operation? How bad is it that with a year of free rent the place closes so soon?
Yes I just joined the Fbook group last night.

I would hate to see it demolished, I mean JC Penny and Sears are both operating comfortably, albeit their companies aren't doing well, the individual stores are still doing well.

I don't think they will be able to replace Belk, their just aren't enough brands out there anymore...I mean they never replaced the smaller old McRae's when Belk left there. I always liked that store's design.

The mixed use seems to be the only idea that will work.

Kettle and Spouts closed! Wow, I went there once to try it, it was decent, but my chicken came out raw, so they had to recook it. No words to describe how they failed with FREE RENT and prices as high as they had, I got chicken and waffles, I received a FREE Waffle and my total was still $8 with drink and no side.

I think the mall would do well with the mixed use and an updated food court, it was always a popular destination for the Research Park crowd.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:05 PM

152 posts, read 241,083 times
I'm trending toward demolishing the entire place and starting anew.

This.

That's a truly depressing place now. I certainly remember that it was THE place to be as a high-schooler in the late 80s. Good shops, good food court, good arcade, good for just walking around and hanging out. But if your food court can't even maintain a Taco Bell, well, the writing is on the wall, my friend. I don't think that any amount of re-painting, re-finishing, or re-utilizing the space is going to matter, because the space itself is the problem.

CBL's best options are to either demolish it and rebuild it into something more "with the times", or demolish it and sell the land.

Coog

Old 04-03-2013, 03:13 PM

445 posts, read 771,481 times
I went there on opening day with my mom and grandma...I was 6 or so.

It is truly depressing now. It's like it is one step up from the Decatur Mall.

I think the best option would be to make it mixed use.....still have the actual indoor mall parts, but convert the Belk space into living and/or office space. Completely re-landscape the entire property, add some water features or something.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:34 PM

Hey I like the Living Space Idea!

Old 04-03-2013, 07:24 PM

46 posts, read 124,193 times
They will probably tear it down like they did the Mall on N Memorial Pkwy if anybody remembers that place.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:54 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,585,089 times
they need something like the new Lendon development , create a water way through the property lined with quality restaurants, another hotel, turn the asphalt jungle into an urban park with walking trails, link it to the Indian Creek Greenway, add a parking deck, get aldot to add an exit ramp between Bradford and University, incorporate the existing restaurants that ring the property in the urban landscaping, add a Trader Joes, use real architecture instead of the Huntsville trademark stucco and brick.
Madison Square could become the premier shopping destination in the state, they can't do it half ass. Cost big bucks sure but so what.. that's what it will take.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
they need something like the new Lendon development , create a water way through the property lined with quality restaurants, another hotel, turn the asphalt jungle into an urban park with walking trails, link it to the Indian Creek Greenway, add a parking deck, get aldot to add an exit ramp between Bradford and University, incorporate the existing restaurants that ring the property in the urban landscaping, add a Trader Joes, use real architecture instead of the Huntsville trademark stucco and brick.
Madison Square could become the premier shopping destination in the state, they can't do it half ass. Cost big bucks sure but so what.. that's what it will take.
Wow. I really like that idea.

It just makes me sad, because it won't happen, it will probably go the way of the Heart of Huntsville and Mall of years past...

Certainly can't 100 Oaks the place as we already took one old mall and turn it into the Huntsville Hospital Medical Mall.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:25 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,058,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Love the idea. Won't happen though. But I would very much like to be wrong.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:39 PM

90 posts, read 187,987 times
Madison Sq is a sad place now. I remember growing up Madison Sq was the "hip" place to go on the weekends. I refuse to visit Madison Square at night. Madison Square is really sketchy at night time. They should probably tear it down and start from scratch. A indoor and outdoor concept would be interesting, but I doubt they'll do it to the due high costs of rebuilding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area