Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 09:40 PM

13 posts, read 20,489 times

Advertisements

So here is my problmn. I live in Arab Al. My electric company is a coop. I rent a lot from a trailer park. I was given a trailer by my DIL she was given this trailer from the previous manager of the park who purchased it from the parks owner. Well the owner ended up firing the manager why I do not know. So my DIL informed the owner she now owned the trailer. He accepted that and we got permission to rent the lot from them. We signed a lease he approved with his date of 1/14/2014 and my aquiring date of 2/1/2014 I even agreed to pay a bill back on the water and sewer which was orginally included in the lot rent of 225.00 per month plus his billback of 75.00. I didnt mind that because I would be paying for same thing on my own in the rental house I was moving from. This is what he did .. The power was on the day I signed lease and a few days later it was off. Fine with me I would transfer my power. When I went to transfer they refused said I would have to pay a 700+ plus bill left by the manager of the park who had the power turned on in the trailer parks name. He had power in that trailer which only had the lights on. He has no fridge/stove in there only a tv and cable to watch. The power was in trailer parks name. He also had power on in a doublewide next to my trailer/ a trailer across the street his sons stayed at and the office. And the elec company says I have to pay it all . Now the kicker the owner of the park sent a letter telling the elec company to NEVER turn on power in my unit until the elec bill is paid as hes not gonna pay it period. At this moment I have a uhaul parked in front of this rental my stuff on it and a trailer with no power. And I can not stay in it with no power its in the lease. It also says in lease I am not responcable for any ulities if I did not incur them.. So how come I am being forced to pay this bill plus I owe on my own bill and it will take our whole ck for the month if I pay this bill plus mine. Its snowing here and its cold as hell and I will have no where to stay and my husband is disabled bedridden I dont know whayt I am going to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 09:45 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,034,805 times
Warming shelter. Ask a cop, they'll know the one local to you. Or call your daughter.

And, my advice, if possible, get away from that situation. I've seen the whole "no deed on the trailer" thing before.

Good luck. Stay warm.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:52 PM

We have the title to the trailer. So we do own it. But he's pissed because of the elec bill. And thinks we should pay it. I didnt hire this guy that was the manager.. He did and should take it up with him. The owner knew what he was doing(he intentional did this I am tied up in a years lease and thats a lot to pay for storing your furnutire.) 300.00 A MONTH FOR STORING MY STUFF... and because we live off SDI and poor and he can take advantage of us. I have called legal aide waiting to hear from them.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:56 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,264,255 times
It wouldn't matter if the owner told them to not turn utilities on.....they will not turn them on with any balance, even if you had nothing to do with incurring those charges.

Its a pile of (*&(&(* in my opinion that utilities hold those hostage in these situations.....we see this all the time with bank foreclosures. The one I just closed had a $510 water bill (how does THAT happen???) that the listing agent had to eat so that the utilities could be turned on. Neither him, nor his client, nor me or my client had any involvement in those charges yet they still hold the home hostage and would not turn on the water until it was paid. All the utilities practice this.

Your landlord is also in violation of your lease, period....tenants have basic rights under landlord/tenant law in AL and whether that is in your lease or not he's in violation.

See if you can get the police/fire to help you.....I am sure they have set up some shelters in the area and would be happy to assist you. In the meantime, bundle up as tight as you can and try to stay warm.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:05 PM

True .. but the owner of the power company said they would turn it on BUT the owner of the park sent a letter telling them to never turn it on at that lot until the bill is paid by me. He intentionally did this he knew he was gonna tie me up in a lease and that he would be denighing power at that lot. The elec company said I could move it to any other lot and they would turn it on.. But how can I do that I do not have 1500.00 to move it and def not even the 700= to pay the old bill...

Old 02-10-2014, 10:09 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,264,255 times
You might try the Salvation Army for emergency assistance....they don't have an Arab location, HSV is the closest but it would be worth checking into. They have a shelter and may can offer you assistance since we are facing a winter storm.

You definitely need to contact legal about that. Again, its a violation of basic landlord/tenant law in AL. You have protections.

But first, just try to get you and your husband to somewhere warm. Worry about the other later....your well being is more important right now.

2114 Oakwood Ave.
HUNTSVILLE

Mark_Satterlee@uss.salvationarmy.org

Old 02-10-2014, 10:11 PM

493 posts, read 712,872 times
Assuming the trailer park is in the City of Arab here is the Arab City web site: City of Arab | Home

Here is the City Personnel Directory on the web site: City of Arab | City Government | City Personnel

Here is the information for utilities on the Arab City web site: City of Arab | City Services | Utilities

I hope something on here can be of help!

Old 02-10-2014, 10:17 PM

Husband is in warm place just no room for me at this time. I have been packing and loading the truck I rented and painted this rental as I was trying to get our dep back. I am worn out and not sure where I will sleep at the next few days. I had intended on being in my trailer unpacking and getting it set up to bring my hubby home to. I have begged the landlord to remove this but he will not. Now this has caused me to be in this rental a few days over my period of time. I spent 150.00 to buy the paint and now will lose out on my dep. I paid my rent here on time for over a year was a good tenant and am leaving it better than what it was when I moved in ( Old dirty paint and carpet) She will have it rented out within days...

Old 02-10-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needtosellmyhome View Post
Assuming the trailer park is in the City of Arab here is the Arab City web site: City of Arab | Home

Here is the City Personnel Directory on the web site: City of Arab | City Government | City Personnel

Here is the information for utilities on the Arab City web site: City of Arab | City Services | Utilities

I hope something on here can be of help!
Ihave an Arab address and arab ulities but the park is located on cullman county line.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:25 PM

493 posts, read 712,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4mullens View Post
Ihave an Arab address and arab ulities but the park is located on cullman county line.
If it's in the county and not in the City limits of Arab the Cullman County web site is: Cullman County, Alabama | Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area