Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 03:12 PM

446 posts, read 678,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
has anyone even read my question? LOL...

yes maybe your part of Tennessee like that maybe other parts aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 03:21 PM

53 posts, read 56,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating_by View Post
If your in Huntsville you're pretty much still in TN. You don't see a difference that far upstate.
In general, I agree with this. Huntsville is much more modern than the rest of the state... Like TN.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:29 PM

614 posts, read 766,569 times
Quote:
has anyone even read my question? LOL...
I read it, then rejected your logic and inserted my insanity.
But really, it is a matter of tradition. those little towns have had their own HS (and their own football team) for years and it will stay that way.

On one hand, I like to brag and say I was #23 in my graduating class. On the other hand there were only 63 of us total.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:38 PM

16 posts, read 27,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ward View Post
In general, I agree with this. Huntsville is much more modern than the rest of the state... Like TN.
Tennessee modern? That hillbilly state.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:52 PM

446 posts, read 678,278 times
Quote:

I agree each state has some hillbilly in them somewhere

Old 09-03-2014, 04:01 PM

16 posts, read 27,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1985 View Post
I agree each state has some hillbilly in them somewhere
Yeah, west Tennessee is different. Much like Alabama one part Appalachian and the other part more Bluesy. Also the demographics and Alabama gets warmer.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:45 PM

40 posts, read 41,510 times
Quote:
I bet next you're going to recommend Stand Up Chunk

Old 09-03-2014, 06:28 PM

82 posts, read 140,634 times
Quote:
Why is there a high school for nearly every little town, hamlet, village, wide spot in the road? Some of the towns that have high schools can barely be called towns: Fyffe, Section, Ider, Tanner, Paint Rock, etc. etc. These schools can't be grauduating 100 kids per year. Seems incredibly inefficient to me, and an area where significant money could be saved by consolidating these schools by county or something.

I'm from a very rural area in TN, not unlike the Sand Mtn area of AL, and I grew up in a town of about 1,000 people. There are several towns of similar size in the county, and each town had its own elementary that fed into ONE county high school. The surrounding counties were done in a similar way. Or if there is one town in the county large enough to have its own HS, it does, and the rest of the county towns all feed into one county high school. Not every little wide spot in the road has its own high school. It would be like, for example, Ft. Payne having its own high school and all the other communities in Dekalb Co feeding into 1 high school. (I know Ft Payne does have its own HS...just an example).

Why does Tanner have its own high school? Fyffe? Section? Woodville? Paint Rock? How many kids are they graduating? Is there something I'm missing? It just seems incredibly inefficient and redundant to me.
The high schools you mentioned - Fyffe, Section, Ider, Tanner - are part of a County school system. So they don't cover students from a town, but from a section of the county. Tanner is no different from East Limestone, Clements, West Limestone, Elkmont, and Ardmore - each cover a part of Limestone County.

Consolidation has happened in some cases - Brewer High School in Morgan County was the result of closing several small schools in the area. There was talk of consolidating Limestone County high schools into 2 schools, but it didn't get anywhere.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:54 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
It also depends on how far the kids in one town would have to drive or be carried by bus. Brewer is an example of consolidated schools, but some of those kids get on the bus at 6 a.m. to get to school by 7:45. That's due to both distance and the amount of kids each bus has to pick up.

Years ago, roads were worse and it was a lot more difficult to get to a school from a distance; therefore, more communities had their own schools. Schools contribute a huge amount to an area's identity. Closing a school is more than just a building closed down. Sometimes it means the death of a community.

And lastly, just because that's how it was done back in your old hometown doesn't mean that it's the best way to do things.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:53 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,301,109 times
Thanks for the info. Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area