Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:10 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,010 times

Advertisements

I would say that it isn't impossible that the dog chewed it into pieces before swallowing, but there's no way to know. On the plus side I knew a dog that swallowed and passed a chain with no ill effects. Not a big as a corncob, but just trying to give you some hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 10:21 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,827,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresmom
My husband and I were finishing eating and I dropped a corn cob (small frozen kind). Our dog, Ares, snatched it up before I could pick it up and swallowed it whole before I could get it out of his mouth. At first we laughed about it (not knowing the dangers). The next day, I started to wonder if he could pass it so I started to Google. I now know how bad this can be. Ares is a 7 month old Pit Bull and weighs about 60-65 lbs. I have spoke to the vet and am taking him for X-rays in the AM. Has anyone had this happen that can give me insight?
Wow isnt it amazing what dogs seem to be able to eat WHOLE?? -- I couldnt do that!!

I hope your dog is ok...... I LOVE PIT BULLS!!

Old 04-15-2015, 10:38 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
I remember an employee regaling me with the story of how her kitten ate the ribbon off a Christmas package. The story kept going on and on, much to the kitten's distress, but it all came out alright in the end...

Old 04-15-2015, 11:19 PM

483 posts, read 654,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
LOL, that's why I'm a proponent of giving dogs some people food. I know someone's who's dog got into the cupboard and ate a box of dry macaroni, it swelled in his stomach and he had to take the dog to the vet. My dogs would never eat food that didn't smell good, including cotton or paper.
Unfortunately this one is street rescue, born and lived on the streets for over half a year before the rescue had a space for him(he got hit by car, so they were able to take him in then, since he was at a much greater risk then before, they feed them but its hard to pull them all)...so he eats everything, edible or not. If its food he eats like there is no tomorrow(he has a special bowl) and since he was never in a house until now pretty much every week he discovers something new to try and eat(and this is while we are home, he will just chew things).
He is exhaustingly dumb when it comes to this, so we are no stranger to stomach stuff.

He is getting better, but so help us, it is a very slow process.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:12 AM

626 posts, read 754,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Wow isnt it amazing what dogs seem to be able to eat WHOLE?? -- I couldnt do that!!

I had a min pin that chewed NOTHING....well except for my shoes, couch, socks, etc... But as far as food was concerned, they were too worried about the next bite to care about chewing the current bite.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:45 PM

7 posts, read 16,209 times
I dropped Ares off at the vet this AM, the cob is still in his stomach (thank goodness). He will be going under the knife in the AM. Thanks for the comments (especially the one about the tampons).

Old 04-16-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneyTiger View Post
Personal experience here.....

My dog, a 60 Lb lab mix, did the same on thanksgiving almost 6 years ago. It was those small ears of corn(3 inch or so). My brother was having Thanksgiving dinner with my wife and I and thought he would let our dog eat some corn off his cob. Buddy took the whole cob and ate it.We saw him chew it once or twice, and then it was gone. The next day, he was acting funny and sluggish, and like you, we researched it on the net and saw the possibilities, so we took him to the emergency vet on the Parkway by The Rock church as they were the only ones open. $350 later and 2 xrays and we were told he just had bad gas, likely from eating the cob. No surgery needed, but they gave us some "doggie Gas-x" and he was fine a few hours later. Never saw the cob pass and he is fine 6 years later. The picture below does him no justice, as he does weigh 60 pounds....lol.....
Thank you for your experience, I'm glad to know your dog is ok. Unfortunately, Ares is going to have to have surgery. The cob is sitting in his stomach still & there is a 50/50 chance, but I'm not prepared to roll the dice. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

Yes, it is amazing what they are able to swallow! I swear Ares is half billy goat lol.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:02 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresmom View Post
I dropped Ares off at the vet this AM, the cob is still in his stomach (thank goodness). He will be going under the knife in the AM. Thanks for the comments (especially the one about the tampons).
Glad it didn't travel. Hope he has a quick recovery from his surgery.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:30 PM

224 posts, read 345,757 times
I hope your dog heals quickly. Please give us updates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs